In group yappers!

lardylady said:
A slimming club is no place for a child, unless the child is following the plan. I wish that people would accept the fact that if they choose to have a child/children, they should make provision for them to be looked after instead of expecting other people to put up with them. I spend my whole working day with children. I don't dislike children, or I wouldn't be a teacher, but I do I dislike having to discuss my SW journey with children present, quiet or otherwise.

What happens if you don't want to do your shopping if children are around? Or anywhere else for that matter? I agree that if a child becomes disruptive to the class then it is the parents responsibility to minimise that or to take the child out however I feel your comments are pretty unfair, unrealistic and quite rude 'expecting other people to put up with them?!' no one has to put up with them!

As far as the dog comments go that's bordering on ridiculous in my opinion

I have no problem with well behaved children being at group, I do object though at mothers huffing because I said I was pis##d off one week as I had an undeserved gain and they didn't think their child should hear such language!

I still maintain that it is the consultants job to keep yappers under control and there should be a phone on silent rule.

Other slimming groups dont allow children to class so i was surprised to see them at mine.

One of the young girls intentionally eats chocolate, crisps etc then pipes up about chocolate cake etc. Shes about 10/11 I know she just having a wee joke, trying to be funny etv.. but when u can smell them, not ideal for me lol

All kids can go to the quick weigh in's at the start. If i had no one to look after my son i would defo do that. I wouldnt want to risk my 14month old acting up. Which knowing him he may well do lol xx

lardylady said:
A slimming club is no place for a child, unless the child is following the plan. I wish that people would accept the fact that if they choose to have a child/children, they should make provision for them to be looked after instead of expecting other people to put up with them. I spend my whole working day with children. I don't dislike children, or I wouldn't be a teacher, but I do I dislike having to discuss my SW journey with children present, quiet or otherwise.

The simple solution is for you to join SW online.

I occasionally have to bring my 1.5 yr old daughter. My husband is in the army, so when he has to work late, I do not have anyone to watch her. During his deployment, I would usually get weighed then leave so I can take her to bed. If I do have my daughter, and I try to stay, and she starts to disrupt, then I will leave. I was always taught to be respectful of others, so I would not sit for an hour with a screaming child!

Oh, did I mention we are stationed overseas??? Sometimes it's not quite do simple as you think to always find childcare.

My group has been fab. Quite a few ladies bring their children to group. The members and my c are very understanding, especially during deployment. I feel lucky to attend the group I do, after reading some of these comments!!

Suze012 said:
Other slimming groups dont allow children to class so i was surprised to see them at mine.

One of the young girls intentionally eats chocolate, crisps etc then pipes up about chocolate cake etc. Shes about 10/11 I know she just having a wee joke, trying to be funny etv.. but when u can smell them, not ideal for me lol

All kids can go to the quick weigh in's at the start. If i had no one to look after my son i would defo do that. I wouldnt want to risk my 14month old acting up. Which knowing him he may well do lol xx

Are you talking about other SW groups or other weight loss groups like WW? Because I have seen children at every group I have gone to - SW, WW and Rosemary Conley.

I think a bit of tact and diplomacy on the part of the choccy chomping kids Mum is needed here![/QUOTE]

I agree!! But sometimes it is also down to the parents...you can't fault a child if they don't know any better!! Xx

whenever Ive brought my little one he has eaten, but its all been slimming world friendly, yoghurt, a hifi light, wholemeal sandwich and possibly a treat size choc.
first time i was bringing him i did have a lapse and though oh o could pop to the chippy on the way for him but as soon as i thought it i realised it was a terrible idea!
I do understand some children are very badly behaved and thats down to their parents but its sad that some people obviously assume all children ans parents are like that

The 2 babies that come to our group are little angels - and their Mum's came before during and straight after pregnancy so it was nice to meet the bumps!

Most MUms that I have met with young ones will make a hasty exit if they start getting too grizzly.

I am a 25yr old grump, chatting/txting/phoning really really bothers me, I mean we are all there to give support to each other, it bothers me when people flake after they have had the support they needed, but aren't willing to listen. My phone is on silent & I only txt a one word message @ the end to my OH so he knows I need a lift.

Kids don't bother me unless they are screaming & running riot, but the parents can't be assed, that gets my back up, it might be cause I don't have kids but it's not botheredness that gets me, not the kids.

if they are relativity quiet/just having an off day or the parent is making an effort then no probs, mums need their 'time off' & support too.

My two penneth, I couldn’t care less who goes to my group be they man, woman, child, dog, tyrannosaurus – as long as they can be quiet and respectful to the other people there. If not I expect them / their parent / owner / mad scientist to take that in hand and make the call to leave (when necessary)

Ive not seen a kid at scottish slimmers or weight watchers. I remember at scottish slimmers them telling that kids werent allowed to full class. Must just have been the class i went to for weight watchers before that didnt have kids x

If SW banned kids I'd stop going... And I don't have little kids anymore! Sometimes you have to accept things and this isn't the dark ages. Children are a part of society.
So if it upsets you then find a later group, why should new mums have to pay for a minder?

Totally agree Shirleen. Its like when you go for a meal, would you ban all children. As you say they are part of society, so long as parents keep close control and act accordingly, ie take little one out if they are really playing up and upset. A total ban would be ridiculous and S W would lose a lot of members. I go to a lunchtime group so little ones are welcomed there and we do have quite a few. If they start to run around the consultant says very kindly "oh dear, I think he/she needs mummy"! And this is always acted upon. Everything can be got around without draconian measures. Sorry, just my penny worth to add to thread :)

ThatBubbs said:
My two penneth, I couldn't care less who goes to my group be they man, woman, child, dog, tyrannosaurus - as long as they can be quiet and respectful to the other people there. If not I expect them / their parent / owner / mad scientist to take that in hand and make the call to leave (when necessary)

Hear! hear!

ThatBubbs said:
My two penneth, I couldn't care less who goes to my group be they man, woman, child, dog, tyrannosaurus - as long as they can be quiet and respectful to the other people there. If not I expect them / their parent / owner / mad scientist to take that in hand and make the call to leave (when necessary)

I read this thread and thought yay I'd love to take my dog to class then on second thoughts I thought wow I want a tyrannosaurus! Yes I might be a mad scientist ;)

But does your dog Yap lol?

Even if he does he'd be welcome at my group. A few weeks ago we had 3 toddlers, a newborn baby & 2 dogs at our group. The consultant asks if anyone minds, no one does, so its all good. They are all well behaved & their parents/owners take them outside if they become annoying. The dogs tends to get passed betwen the dog lovers for fuss & attention, which I personally love.

Shall update you on how it goes when someone brings their tyrannosaurus to group :)

Back