Info on Devon please!

Bess

Plod, plod, plod.....
This isn't about CD really. I just wondered if anyone knowing S. Devon could offer some advice? My OH and I will be travelling there on Sunday and staying in a hotel in Torquay overnight. We'll have Sunday afternoon evening/Monday morning free to explore a bit. Can anyone suggest somewhere nice to visit? I'm sure there must be lots of places in the area but we won't have time to find out for ourselves in such a short time.
Many thanks,

Its about a half hour drive but Tones is very pretty, has a great market and is quirky... there was a lovely cafe at the top of the high street - I say top as the hill is amazing - does the best milkshakes - not that you would be allowed one!!

But still very pretty and oldy worldy - if only to drive through!!

Dartmouth is lovely and so is Brixham, an old fisihing port and you can walk from there up to Berry head where there's an old fort. Cockington forge is also near and very nice i seem to remember

:)Hi Bess

I hear Slapton is lovely, a friend of mine lives there now and is always harping on about how beautiful it is.
Hope you and OH have a great break.
Dotty xx

Lucky you! My mum's from Torquay and my gran lives there, and it's possibly my favourite place in the world. If you do nothing else, you have to go out on the moors. Hay Tor is just lovely for a ramble or a picnic or just a laze in the sun - and there's the most beautiful tearoom hidden away at the base of Yar Tor, right next to the River Dart, called Badger's Holt. It's the most picturesque little place you've ever seen, fabulous atmosphere... running water, leafy trees, peacocks, and a lovely, reasonably priced menu.

There's a website for it here: Badgers Holt

Make a day of it! Hope you enjoy yourself. :)

Last edited:
I LOVE Torquay and the people who live there are so lucky. I'm jealous. I think Cockington is really nice for a wee trip and Dawlish is lovely too. It's all great really. Enjoy yourself.

Hi Bess

i am two miles along from Torquay, cockington is lovely, depends on how long you have to explore, Totnes is about 7 miles away, I grew up there it is very nice as well, brixham is a few miles along from Torquay, fantastic views across the bay if you go to Berry Head and there is a very nice hotel there called the Berry Head Hotel, you can have food and drink there, again fab views..

there is more of a beach in Paignton, when the tide comes in, the beach in torquay vanishes, as somone said before slapton is nice too, full of history .. let us know how you get on.. I think I should work for the Devon tourist board.. :)

Thank you very much - all of you, there's lots of lovely places to explore obviously, so we shall take your advice and try to see most of the ones you recommend! Unfortunately we are going there to attend a funeral - not someone I was very close to, but sad all the same and because it's a long way we decided to stay. We hardly ever get away - lots of children and self employed. So although it's a sad reason for going to Devon it'll still be good to enjoy some of the area too.
Many thanks everyone, I'll let you know how we get on. :)

Back from deepest Devon!

Many thanks to all of you who suggested lovely places to see. We ended up visiting Wells on the way down which was beautiful but left less time in Devon. So after a walk round Torquay inner harbour in the evening and a meal (salad and chicken!) we visited Brixham the next morning. Great place, met a friendly local fisherman and walked all round the harbour. The countryside around is just fabulous, much more hilly than I thought, but the traffic!!!!!:eek:
I feel so sorry for the poor locals, how do they ever get anywhere in the summer? We live in a sparsely populated area near mid wales and I appreciate it even more now! After crossing the bridge over the Severn to Chepstow we didn't follow a single car all the way through Monmouth, Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow and home.
Many thanks everyone, again. x

Welcome home Bess, so pleased you enjoyed your visit to Devon despite the reasons for it.
I know what you mean about the traffic, we live in Suffolk and the pace of life is so much slower than anywhere else - wonderful!
Take care and hope the weight loss goes on successfully.
Dotty xx

Back