Irish Molly's 2011 Diary

Hi Molly. I just wanted to say well done on your amazing weightloss. You have done so well. I have just started at the gym and my personal trainer has advised that I give the GI diet a go (i have an underactive thyroid, pcos and am borderline diabetic) Reading your diary has given me some good ideas :)

Yep, I see he will be back. He was here a few weeks ago on the "feel good factor" tour.
The one in Athlone is pricey isn't it. I practically know his book off by heart lol! Will it be worth going to athlone ?? Call me a cynic, some of these events can be about selling books, supplements etc!!!
Though I am tempted to hear him in person.
What do you think?

Emma, you should really give it a go. Your health issues are all ones that are helped by GL. I'd really advise you to get a book on GL and read it thoroughly.
Nigel Denby has nice easy to read books.
Patrick Holford has more indepth books.
This forum has some useful info too.
If you give it a bash, start a thread here. Post regularly and ask any questions. We will all do our best to help. You can share your experiences too.
We are all in it together.

I agree, I'm not sure it would be worth the money, I'd go if I thought it would cement the idea that low gl is the only way to eat for life and meant I'd never crave sugar again, but I already know it's healthy and makes me feel good so I think focusing on slowly making the transition and learning to forgive myself the odd blip is the way forward.

," but I already know it's healthy and makes me feel good so I think focusing on slowly making the transition and learning to forgive myself the odd blip is the way forward."
That is absolutely the philosophy we need to adopt. Let that line be our mantra from now on" slowly making the transition and learning to forgive ourselves the odd blip"
Love it, you summed it up perfectly.

Thanks Molly - very nice of u to say so, now just to adopt it;)

02/04 My weekly weigh in. Well it was another STS. I'm glad I'm not gaining. I have been eating sensibly enough as in generally making good GL choices. Portion sizes are a little more generous than in a weight loss mode. I still have my snacks of occasional choc bars etc. I allow myself a little downtime over the weekends. But I don't see it as an opportunity to binge. I suppose this is down to the fact that I don't feel deprived on GL rather that I eat consciously, if that makes sense.

Well done on the STS Molly brill :) x

I'm loving the new "century club" badge. It is a great incentive as once I have achieved it I don't ever want to have to take it down if I gained enough weight to put my losses below 100.
Every little encouragement helps, so thanks Mini!!!

Well done on your STS! And omg wow well done on ur centuary badge, u should feel so proud every time u see it!!

10/04 happy to report a good week overall. So it results in another STS.
I can heartily recommend the rhubarb pear muffins from the useful recipes thread. They are so delicious and almost guilt free!! I've had these for breakfast or lunch and found them very filling. The wheat free or oat scones are just fab too. Half the recipe made in a loaf tin makes a great alternative to brown soda bread.
Have had days of glorious sunshine and feel just as good too!!
Have a good week folks!

Well done on your fab week.
Where is this recipe section? Are they low GL recipies?xxx

Tanya, the thread is "Useful Gi / GL Recipes" it's just under mine at the moment. The muffins are fab and sooo filling, they would be great for you for taking in to work. I used half sugar and half sweetener. Cals work out at about 150 each. Give them a whirl.

Well done on ur STS Molly

Well, I'm in a bit of a holiday mode with Easter and a lot of events last week and this week. Last week has given me a small gain of two pounds!!! Ah well. I'll deal with it and any more pounds after Easter.
Of course, being honest, I could have made better food choices, still enjoyed myself and avoid a gain. Once I have too many high GL or processed foods it leads to overeating and inevitable gain.
The thing to do is to allow for such occasions, 80/20 rule and get back in control ASAP.
On a much more positive note, I was at a party at the weekend where I got so many compliments it was embarrassing!!!!!
Have a good week everyone.

Hi Molly - I'm thinking of GI when I finish TRF only got 7lb to go now.. Can u recommend any websites or books etc or lost of foods. I'm not the best cook and will only be cooking for myself so just need easy things to prepare.
I've just seen the recipe thread u started and I was drooling lol :)

Good luck with the rest of your stint on TFR. You will reach your goal in no time.
I find GL has suited me best for maintaining my TFR losses.
I have read loads of stuff on GL but these are some of the ones I'd recommend.
GL Diet Made Easy by Nigel Denby
This is an easy to read book. He also has a website (dietfreedom) but you have to pay to join it.
He does not stress counting GL values. He uses small palm of the hand measures as your best guide.
The Holford Low-GL diet Cookbook by Patrick Holford
This has lovely recipes and also a very good overview of GL. Holford uses GL values of foods. He also groups foods and gives the good recipes. Even if you never use the recipes, they give you an idea of the appropriate foods.
The Glycemic Load Diet by Rob Thompson
This guy is a cardiologist and was pre diabetic. It has a lot of sensible tips in his book. His GL value system was weird so
I did not follow those but I liked his common sense approach to eating.
GL Diet Made Simple by Antony Worrall Thompson
This is mostly recipes. It's a nice simple presentation of GL and has lovely recipes.
If I had to pick one I'd opt for Holford and then Denby.

We cant post links to websites here. If you google GL or Glycemic Load you will get lots of info. Many of these sites expect you to pay a membership but you will get some good info on their free pages.
GI is the value of a whole food whereas GL is the value of a specific portion. An example would be pineapple. Its GI value is high but as you would only eat a few slices of pineapple its GL value is lower.
So GL is an updated version of GI.

Back