Is this allowed/fair?

JestersTear

Silver Member
Twice, recently, our C has given the slimmer of the week to people who weren't at *our* class the week before.
In one case it was a member of the social team who had been to a different group the previous week and this week it was a lady who attends a later class on the same day with the same C (and had attended our class this week)

This just seemed 'wrong' to me - shouldn't slimmer of the week be for people in the current class who have attended the current class the week before?

Oh, and it's not sour grapes as I wasn't up for the award on either week lol

No I don't think so. I think so long as someone has lost or sts the week before, regardless of which group they went to, they should be eligible for SOTW.

Them's the rules :cool:

I didn't realise that it was across groups like that. I have attended a different group to my normal one before, lost lots that week, but wasn't given SotW so I'd concluded that it wasn't something that would cross groups

I didn't realise that it was across groups like that. I have attended a different group to my normal one before, lost lots that week, but wasn't given SotW so I'd concluded that it wasn't something that would cross groups

So long as you stay to group and have lost the week before, you should be eligible.

I know there are women in my group who travel a lot due to work and go to 3 or 4 different groups. If what you say is true they would never be eligible for SOTW.

Like I say, based on my previous experience I'd concluded that it was only within the one group you attended.
So, on the one hand, good for the two ladies recently, but on the other hand, bad for me in the past!

Maybe it depends on the group. You know, a bit like the C's and their opinions on cous cous cakes, home made crisps and lasagne tortilla chips....lol.

I think if someone from the group who attends all the time is eligible for sotw, then they should get it as well as someone who might be from another group but is also sotw, I remember my leader sharing the goody bags between 2 or 3 people if all of them were sotw.

..but I also remember my leader having her favourite members and not awarding the correct people with sotw. My mum used to do the weigh in, and part of that was to let the leader know who was sotw, the total weight loss etc, but the leader didn't always agree with my mum!

I was joint SOTW this week and STS last week and lost a pound this week!??? Couldn't figure out how that happened at all!

Started chatting to my old RE teacher who I hadn't seen for 22 years and forgot to take my fruit anyway! Doh!!!

Hmmm but what if you went to a different class on a different day, so therefore WI after 8 days (for example) instead of 7, you would have an unfair advantage? It would only be fair if the classes were on teh same day!

Though I know that the rules are set in place, I have to agree with JestersTears.

In my opinion, if you cannot make your own group you've *missed* your chance of winning the awards. Now I know that might sounds harsh, but in our group SOTW gets a large basket of fruit etc that the other members have brought in and we all make a big effort as we're a tight knit group. I think, personally, I'd be gutted for someone from our own group lost out to someone we didn't know/wasn't from our own group. Because, like has been said, what if they've had 8,9 or even 10 days in their week? But then again, on the other hand, if they have only had 6 days in their week...

But yes, I agree. I think at least that the award should be split between a member of that group and a guest if this happens. And to be honest, when I have gotten SOTW I am more excited in the shiny sticker than the *prize*. Sad but true!

But, I think it is really good that people make the effort to go to a WI if they cannot meet their own WI. Not many people would have the guts to walk into a different group (I would be shy to).

What REALLY hacks me off are those who hardly ever stay to group, and only tend to if they think they are in the running for it. One woman at our group does this and she gets up to leave if she realises she's not won it (once she asked during group if someone who'd lost more than her had lost week before and left when she was told yes - GRRRR). Generally though, it's the same faces week in week out - which is good as we all get on really well and are always really happy for each other - no negative competition so to speak.

Just my opinion...whatever the Cs should be consistent in approach to this. xxx

Last edited:
as a shift worker i have to jump group frequently and would be gutted if this meant i never got a chance at sotw, we're all in it together whatever group we go to.

I am also a shift worker, so have to go to different groups sometimes.

Twice I have been at other groups and been the biggest loser but haven't qualified for SOTW as I hadn't been there the previous week.

Personally , I don't see a problem with it though.

It would be harsh for me to invade someone elses group and take away their prize anyway lol.

SOTW is a nice prize if I get it, but ultimately I just want the weight to come off!!

ah but i would be excited at the sticker, they can keep the wrinkly old fruit lol seriously some of the group ive been to bring the most grim old manky fruit..ick

SOTW is a nice prize if I get it, but ultimately I just want the weight to come off!!

Absolutely!! Weight loss is what counts in long term, not stickers, fridge magnets or the fruit!
Winning SOW is great but, for me, it's not half as satisfying as having another weight loss and getting closer to my target.
In our class we still give SOW even if the person does not stay to class. That did not happen in other classes I attended.
What they do at my class, if the SOW is not present, is to make the fruit a second prize for the raffle. He/she still gets the certificate, sticker and fridge magnet the following week.
I do, however, think that it is fairer for a member of the class to get SOW.
We have never had the occasion of a member from another group getting SOW so I can't say whether it happens in our group or not.

I have spent most of my time at one group with a brilliant C who followed (and explained!) the SOTW rules brilliantly!

I've now been to two other groups since I've moved for work, and neither of them do it right :( I'm a target member, so it doesn't really affect me any more, but I still don't think it's right for everyone else.

My most recent group is now electronic - there doesn't seem to be a way of the C or the social team to input who's stayed, and who's not - so at the end of image therapy, my C goes onto the PDA and it tells her who gets the SOTW - more often than not it goes to someone who hasn't stayed. Grr.

Is this a problem with my C, or with the electronic system?

Fridge magnets? No sign of fridge magnets at my meeting!

If there were, I'd probably be more concerned about not getting SOTW when I should have lol

Yeh I was going to say we don't get fridge magnets either!!
I'm only on my 3rd week but so far SOTW has always been someone thats stayed to class and we're on the electronic system? Unless its just a coincidence?!
Also agree about some of the manky fruit that gets put in!! :eek:

Fridge magnets? No sign of fridge magnets at my meeting!

If there were, I'd probably be more concerned about not getting SOTW when I should have lol

You don't have to put them up on the fridge you know :eek:
All the classes I have been to have given them to SOW. I like them, but then again I like fridge magnets!!

You don't have to put them up on the fridge you know :eek:
All the classes I have been to have given them to SOW. I like them, but then again I like fridge magnets!!

I want a fridge magnet!! :cry:
We get a sticker and a certificate but no magnet!! Might ask my consultant next time about the magnets!!!
I have put a piece of paper on my fridge and am putting my stickers on there to motivate me!

Back