Jess's Diary - Weighed in a day early..

Oh the joys of dissertations.....I've done 3 now and I still never learn not to leave it til the last minute!!!!

Hopefully you will have handed it in and be creeping into bed now Jess - wait for the surge of elation and relief to hit you this afternoon. That was always my favourite bit of studying!

I have indeed finished and have given it in, but I am at work with Adam unfortunately! He offered to drive me all the way home again then back to work (both a long way) but I already took an hour printing and binding. Want beeeeeed.

:D Yay congrats on getting it all finished
and make sure you get plenty of shut eye
when you do finally get indoors x

Well done Jess!

Have a fab sleep tonight :D

xx

Well done Jess, hopefully you are still asleep catching up. What happens now are you done at Uni?

M

Hi Jess...just catching up with your diary. Glad you managed to get the uni work done! Hope you're having a good day (and caught up with your sleep!) xx

Woohoooo well done on finishing Jess - bet your over the moon!!x

Thanks everyone :)

I have caught up on my sleep. I fell asleep in the car when going to hand it it. Then I was like a zombie at Adam's work, didn't have the energy even to surf the internet. We left about 3:30, he carried on working from home. I put the chair back in the car and slept the whole hour home. Got home, went to bed, instant sleep again for 2.5 hours. Then I went to bed at the normal time, woke up at 11am and think I'm all caught up!

I don't really feel the deep sense of relief. There are so many assignments I haven't had marks and I don't know when I'll get my grades back. I really want a 2.1! I've just 2 and half weeks until my holidays then six weeks until I move. I'll be hopefully working for Off To Work, which is a London events company. You can sign up to whatever shifts you like on the website and it's quite good money, £7-£10 an hour usually. If I do 2-3 of those a week that should be a nice bit extra to take with us. Mostly evening and night time I think though. Then once I move I have to start looking for a real job. This is a very scary prospect, I don't know what I want to do and I can imagine being nervous and awful at interviews. I hope it doesn't take me too long to get a job :( I wish I hadn't taken such a stupid degree, although I learnt business stuff it just sounds like all I know is how to pet animals. Must highlight the business modules on my CV :p Which I need to write. Technically still a student so I will arrange an interview with the careers person.

Last edited:
Nikki that is so nice! I love you. Kisses for you (people are really gonna start talking about you around here, ya great lezza).

I used to be really confident, quite a gobby madam (dragged up on the mean council estates of Tenbury Wells, little town in the orchard, dotcha know ;)). I don't know what happened, I lost it! I can't do presentations because I get so nervous I talk utter ***** and I've never really had a proper interview. Had lots of random jobs, but they don't "interview" you just check you have at least a 20% functioning brain. I think it's job adverts are that are putting me off, they all say "you are right for this job if you are totally amazing and can move things with your freakin' mind!" I read them and think "none of that is me, I suck, I'll never get a job, I should just wither up and die because I'm so useless :cry:". Need to man up! I have to have the mind set that I am awesome and that every job needs me. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for McD trainee manager jobs coming up in Sussex as I think I'm a shoe in. I have a degree, I worked there for 18 months, started my management training and they loved me so I'd get a great reference from McDs themselves. It's £21k a year which will do me very nicely, thank you very much, and a company car or money equivalent after 6 months. I don't know if my age would go against me though. Have no idea how often the jobs come up though, there are only two in the whole of the south east at the moment.

You'll be fine Jess, the first interview is always the worst
area managers for P@H are also on good money always worth a look on there website
also

Argh - poor you Jess. Searching for jobs is a nightmare and I know what you mean when you read the job description and you just think 'Errrr, who do they want to employ? Superwoman?!' I try and sit down and find examples for all the stuff they want - once you break it down into little bits you can often twist stuff to fit the criteria.

You're right to look for something you've got experience in though. The Jamie Oliver restaurant in Reading was looking for staff and I was so tempted - they have other stuff on their website. It sounds like, with your experience, you'd be excellent at restaurant management - even if you only wanted to do it for a little while cos I remember you were interested in events management? Anyway, it's just a thought chicky - lots of the nice chain restaurants have really good deals for staff :)

Thanks Mumma K! Thanks Dopes!

I think I could blag my way into restaurant management jobs, because I can exaggerate how far I got with my management training and I did a lot of business modules (which are worthless really, all a load of theory bum). I'd just worry whether I'd be able to do something I've never done before? Can I blag the job? :p

Last edited:
I'd just worry whether I'd be able to do something I've never done before? Can I blag the job? :p
Course you can blag the job! Goodness - I've blatantly blagged everything since I left uni! And to be fair - you won't be blagging anyway, you're bright - you'll pick it up as you go along!

Hannah's spot on Jess. You just need to know the right things to say, play up your strengths to the maximum and employ some blagging tactics for the few bits you're not that sure of.

Honestly, you're clearly dead smart and even if a job looks fabulous but terrifying and you have doubts about your abilities - you WILL be able to do it. A bit of research before an interview and you'll walk it.

IMO everyone who is any good doubts themselves, its those that think they know it all already who are the folks that do a bad job. I've had 3 big promotions since I started with this company 7 years ago and every time I went for one I felt out of my depth.

Then when I got the jobs I was terrified I wouldn't be able to do it.
Some days I still struggle to believe the job I've ended up in. I keep expecting someone to catch me out and send me off to do the filing instead!

You'll do great whatever you choose to do. Like Nikki said, you've got everything in your favour, you just need to see what other people see in you and for those bits you're not confident about - pretend you are! xx

Thanks you guys :) Love yoos!

When I had assignments due in farting about on the internet was great fun. Now I'm so bored. Going to buy some PC games to play. Can't wait to go to France!

Then when I got the jobs I was terrified I wouldn't be able to do it.
Some days I still struggle to believe the job I've ended up in. I keep expecting someone to catch me out and send me off to do the filing instead!

I am like this every day! I am always waiting for someone to come in and go, 'Sorry, Hannah, we actually meant this job for a real grown up, not your type.'

Don't you worry Jess - you just have to make sure you're well prepared for interviews. Speaking of which, I have just interviewed 3 people - bless em, they weren't good, mainly because they hadn't done any research!!!! Silly women! It really does help being able to give examples and to know what the job is that you're applying for.

restaurant management sounds like just the right kind of job for you Jess
I think you'd enjoy it and also think you'd be very good at it
I think interviews are a case of going in there with just the right amount of confidence even if in fact your terrified if you go in thinking I haven't got a chance your already giving off a defeated aura and you'll find yourself staring back at and interviewer with the same face.

Back