Joolz's Management diary - Week 6

How gorgeous is fresh fruit. I am so delighted I could reintroduce fruit from yesterday - I know it will be a big part of my healthy diet going forward. not bothered about tomatoes, never have been, but yesterday the taster explosion from an orange was amazing. Better than chocolate any day (and I'm not kidding).

so yesterday I had my crudities and dip for lunch, and throughout the day an Orange, apple, 3 plums, some seedless grapes, 2 strawberries ands some pomegranate seeds with my jelly. Protein was turkey breast steak and salad.

There was a point mid afternoon having just eaten a plum and an apple that I thought I could go on and on eating fruit - so the demons still lurk - but I stopped and drank and the feeling did pass.

Off for second "counselling" session with hypnotherapist/psychotherapist later - now that food is back on the agenda it will be interesting. Then LL pop in later and of course work...so a busy day.

Well too tired and emotional to write much tonight but I will catch up properly when I get the chance. Emotional in a good/thoughyt provoking/positive way - SO MUCH to think about.

Went for psychotherapy session. That man is brilliant. For one who was a cynic about "that sort of thing" before I went, I'm loving it. My reasons for going (this was session 2) were that I wanted some extra help as I re-entered the scary world of food, determined not to go back to a dark, fat place. He gave me so much to think about and I really feel the extra tools he is adding to my life toolkit bag will be so useful. I cried a bit as some things hit me like a bolt from the blue and a real lightbulb moment or two. More on this when I have the time and energy.

Also LL pop in - another 2.5lb off which was a bonus on this beginning of week 3 of management. All in all quite a day.

Will I be able to sleep with all this new stuff in my head? Exciting but scary.

Hi Joolz,

Just read your thread - what an adventure you are having! Can I come and live with you - the food you're having sounds great? Its so touch with a busy job to get organised - its something I really struggle with. Its good to see that you give yourself that time and priority.

Its sounds like therapy is really good idea. I would n't mind giving at a try myself. Where did you find your man?

Morning' Joolz,

I am looking forward to hearing exactly how you got on yesterday. It is a really proactive thing to do, to get help when you feel you need it. It sounds like it'll set you up nicely for when you go back to healthy eating full-time.

Do us all a favour and let us in on some of the advice you're given!

Regards,

AJ

Well too tired and emotional to write much tonight but I will catch up properly when I get the chance. Emotional in a good/thoughyt provoking/positive way - SO MUCH to think about.

Went for psychotherapy session. That man is brilliant. For one who was a cynic about "that sort of thing" before I went, I'm loving it. My reasons for going (this was session 2) were that I wanted some extra help as I re-entered the scary world of food, determined not to go back to a dark, fat place. He gave me so much to think about and I really feel the extra tools he is adding to my life toolkit bag will be so useful. I cried a bit as some things hit me like a bolt from the blue and a real lightbulb moment or two. More on this when I have the time and energy.

Also LL pop in - another 2.5lb off which was a bonus on this beginning of week 3 of management. All in all quite a day.

Will I be able to sleep with all this new stuff in my head? Exciting but scary.
hi joolz,
this is so weird ,
whenever i update my thread (with my usual issues and nonsense)and then go and read yours i find so many similarities, ive just been discussing the possibility of seeking some added counciling myself , who would have thought re-introducing foods would be such a major upheaval !!!
im hoping and praying that this will too become something to look back at and laugh , just like the more difficult and early abstinence days !!!!:confused:
do you think it is worth persuing ??i am a fan of counciling anyway as its helped me through a couple of very traumatic life issues (post traumatic stress after nearly loosing issa a couple of times when she was delivered 9 weeks prematurelyand healing post childhood abuse )
these were at first veiw much larger issues , but not really when you think about the impact f food in our lives and the destruction its abuse can cause!!
goodluck joolz
im rooting for you xx

Thanks for your comments Cake, AJ and Sukiesue.

Well I've continued to be very busy but taking time out just to update my thread following my psychotherapy session on Wednesday - It really did/does give me a lot to think about.

I found my man through personal recommendation he is called Mark Reader and works out of Pease Pottage in W/Sussex. He is both hypnotherapist and psychotherapist and I've found him really helpful.

The first session was a chat about why I was there, what I wanted to achieve and he asked me loads of questions about my personality type, and I had to rate myself on a scale as he asked me statements about me. It was a chat really.

Then the next session he used the results from the questions and scale of statements I had given to explore the traits of my personality using the "warrior, nomad, settler" personality stuff.

This is taken from a website about it:
Are you embarrassed by sudden desires to speak your mind in inappropriate places, or do you have uncontrollable urges ruthlessly to force your will upon others?

Perhaps you struggle hopelessly, hide your feelings if others take a dislike to you, and can't understand why no one can see the hidden meanings in the world around you? If so, help is at hand: unexplained longings to behave in certain ways are hidden clues to our origins
Try this for an awesome thought
In the split second moment of conception, the two streams of genetic information from your parents, handed on from generation to generation over literally hundreds of millenia, combined in one single cell that was to become you. It ensured that you became a totally unique living record of the lives and ways of your ancestors. And we are not just talking about the way you look - we are talking about your ancestral memories, the complete set of instincts and response patterns that were responsible for the survival of those two genetic streams in the first place. The instincts and response patterns that you were actually born with.

Basically the Warrior part of your brain is the rule setter, the control, the facts and figures part, the right from wrong, the achievement etc.

The Settler is about support, harmony, love, doing what is right for you, the voice of reason.

The Nomad is the flighty, funseeker, flits from thing to thing, bored easily, likes to be centre of attention etc.

We all have bits of each in our psyche.

Mark explained how the three types were split in my case and the particular conflicts that means I have going on in my brain.

I am nomad/warrior dominant which means I have internal conflicts between doing what is right, following rules and saying "to hell with the rules lets have some fun."

It was VERY revealing stuff and I am only giving you a flavour here of a very indepth load of psychoanalysis and I came away from the first session really drained.

In the session this week we developed stuff even further and and looked at why I make the decisions I do using the personality types again and the really great part was the tools he gave me by making my warrior, nomad and settler come alive for me - I had to make them real - give them an appearance, a name, a voice and we used a very relaxed state for me to talk as they would talk when I'm in a given situation. This is where some of the tears came coz I realised WHY I am like I am and WHY I have made certain decisions, done certain things in the past. It was awesome.

He also introduced me to a 4th state - ,my "inner personal advisor" who knows EVERYTHING about me - all my successes, all my failings, all my secrets, all my guilt, happiness etc. It is this "person" who is going to help me most in future and we will develop this in the next session.

The other thing we did which was awesome was he asked me to think back to a year ago and imagine I was "18.5 stone Joolz" sitting in front of him. He asked me 10 things about my life on a score of 1-10 things like happiness, relationships, energy, finance etc.

Then we turned the clock forward to today and "slim Joolz" had to answer the same criteria. He then mapped out my responses on a chart which I now have at home. It very visually shows that my life has become much fuller, that i was living a half life before - and that I should look at it every time i want a reason to not go back to the "black half life" and stay in the "red full life." It blew my mind to see the difference mapped out.

I have some homework to do - and then go back in 2 weeks for what might be the final session.

I hope I haven't rambled, I could go on as there was SO MUCH in a two hour session. It has given me serious thought provoking contemplation and I just know it is going to be very useful in my life. Not just around food, but around all the decisions I make, how I behave, etc etc.

I'm sorry if I've rambled but my brain is just very full of it at the moment. There is a book about Warrior, Settler, nomad I intend to buy. so I now don't just have my LL chatterbox, I have a wariior, nomad and settler sitting on my shoulder!

I was such a cynic before I went to Mark about psychotherapy, but it really has been remarkable. The more tools in my kitbag of life, the better I say.

Take care everyone and will catch up soon.

Joolz x

Well haven't been on here for a few days - but with good reason. I am VERY lucky in that hubby took me off to beautiful Bruges for the weekend as it was our wedding anniversary. I did know about it as I took Friday and Monday off work. We had a fantastic time, the best bit actually spending time together rather than being ships that pass in the night. If you haven't been, Bruges is a delightful city. We stayed in a wonderful hotel right in the city. You can walk everywhere - the arts, culture, architecture, shopping etc are wonderful.

And yes - I ate and I drank. Although at the end of Week 3 of management I had discused with Jo my LLC that I would eat healthily but would be having less restrictive choices as I inteded to relax a bit and have ALCOHOL!!!

And I did. It was my first true test of whether I would just say "oh what the hell " and get as much in my gob as I could - the old me would have!!!! But I didn't - I made healthy but relaxed choices. I kept away from too many carbs in the food - for example breakfast was served with the most delicious looking basket of freshly baked bread varieties, seeded bread, croissants, pain au chocolat, rye bread etc (and I love bread) - but I thought, no that really will put the weight on and leave me feeling too full - so I stuck to fresh fruit salad, fruit juice(yummy) and freshly cooked eggs and bacon and mushrooms - and the best bit - a GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE with breakfast, served by Ignace, the gorgeous waiter!!! Now that is my kind of breakfast. I think it should be available on the NHS!!!

The breakfast set us up for the day - so didn't bother with lunch (though the odd Belgian beer cropped up particularly when we toured a Bruges Brewery and coffee of course, giving the little biccies served with coffee to my hubby) and then a restaurant dinner each evening. I stuck to fish and meat with salad and veg. But I did have ice cream for dessert one evening and afternoon tea with a small Belgian cake one afternoon. And on Saturday night we had a "gourmet" meal as it was our wedding anniversary. It was all lovely food and had white and red wine with it. Left some of each course on my plate when I had had enough. The dessert was a trio of exqusite puddings - and I did eat those - my choice - not compulsed. My treat for all the weeks of abstinence and for getting to a healthier place.

So I have changed!! I really wasn't bothered by the Belgian chocolates that were everywhere - though I did buy some as Easter pressies for family. Every night our hotel bed was turned down while we were out and a belgian choc left on the pillow along with the next day's weather forecast. How sweet is that!. The chocs came home with us - even hubby didn't eat his!

So I did relax over the food and alcohol and really enjoyed myself. On Saturday we walked up the 360 steps of the belltower in Bruges ( very narrow spiral staircase). A year ago I would have had to keep stopping and held everyone up behind me and my knees would have groaned with the effort. But I almost ran up the steps and was hardly breathless at the top - able to admire the view and feel good about myself. What a diffrence it has made.

So a very romantic time, with good food, good wine, good Belgian beer and good company. I felt good about myself, that it ws ME who was making the food and drink choices coz I wanted to, and wearing clothes that I felt good in. All helped by wonderful spring weather.

Got home on Monday evening and on Tuesday evening went for my LL pop in. The scales showed that I had put on 2lbs in the week including the Bruges trip. And I am OK with that. I had worried about putting on weight, but actually it was OK. The alcohol alone and relaxed food choices accounted for that. And as my LLC said - would the old me have put on 7lbs? YES!! and would probably have gone on putting on weight as it would be the start of a slippery slope. This time I am back on my Management food choices as from yesterday. I will shift the 2lbs and not worry about it. In discussion with LLC we have decided I will stay on Week 3 food choices this week (so in effect 2 weeks at Week 3) then move onto Week 4 next week. I still feel in control - I'm actually glad the scales have registered their first increase as that was a bit of an issue for me - (what would I feel like when the scales finally stop going down???). Well it feels OK coz it was planned and I'm in control. I will shift the two pounds and I will see Management through. Its good to feel that I am the one taking charge and enjoying my life. Maybe LL and my therapy are making sure new Joolz continues her new path. Of course I'll be pleased when the 2lbs have gone, but I wouldn't have swapped my weekend...

Feeling good.

WOW! That sounds fantastic! What a lucky girl you are!

Also, well done on getting yout head round the eating and drinking too. That is, after all, the goal we are all aiming for isnt it? To live in the foodie world and not return to our old ways!

Good on you, and best wishes for the rest of management.

Hi Joolz

Have just caught up with your thread and have read it with a huge amount of interest, head nodding etc etc. You seem to be really in control of your thoughts/feelings etc which is wonderful.

I had my first weight gain this week, 1lb, and the councellor looked at me and said well done:eek: :confused: I was devistated!! She had to sit me down and have a real good chat and what she said to me was that I am now in week 5 and have been holding my weight every week since i started management which is something to be proud of. It took a while for it to sink in but now I totally agree withe everything she said..

It sounds as if you are in really in control of this side of things but me, I am so so nervous about eating and putting it on again it terrifies me.

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to say well done, you seem to be in the right place and any words of encouagement/advice would be greatly received.

take care xxx

I had my first weight gain this week, 1lb, and the councellor looked at me and said well done:eek: :confused: I was devistated!! She had to sit me down and have a real good chat and what she said to me was that I am now in week 5 and have been holding my weight every week since i started management which is something to be proud of. It took a while for it to sink in but now I totally agree withe everything she said..

It sounds as if you are in really in control of this side of things but me, I am so so nervous about eating and putting it on again it terrifies me.

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to say well done, you seem to be in the right place and any words of encouagement/advice would be greatly received.

take care xxx

Oh Toots, thanks for the comments. I really wouldn't say my head is sorted. I did worry about putting on weight at the weekend, but I did try and get the balance right between enjoying myself and not just giving free rein to eating what I used to. In fact I didn't WANT to eat like that anyway. As I got on the scales at LL the thought in my head, were like what if I've pt on 9 or 10 lbs? I knew what I had eaten wouldn't do that but the worry was there. so I really empathise with how you feel. So for me 2lb was alright. Of course I'd rather not have put on but it served as a good lesson in breaking my devotion to seeing the scales going down.

The real test for me was if Tuesday morning had dawned and I thought - well I've put on 2lb, so a little bit more eating and drinking won't hurt and 2lb became 3,4,5 a stone..... But I didn't do that - I'm back on the route to management. I think it is my FEAR of putting weight on and on and on and going back to the "dark place" that has really put me back on the wagon. So I wouldn't say I'm totally sorted. I'm trying to sort my head but that will only come with time. At the moment I feel like a fat person who is now slim but is only one step away from being fat again. It won't be until I wake up and feel "normal" with my size and not having to think about what goes in my mouth that I feel I will have conquered this. Who knows when that will be?
Sorry to rumble on, but you see we are all on this crazy journey - we all have the same fears, but I'm learning that its how we deal with eating in the real world and how we respond to things like a little weight gain that will determine our long term success or failure.

Maybe like me your 1lb gain is a good thing - as you can think about the feelings it gives and think about real world eating. We have to bear in mind that we've each lost xxx number of pounds - and staying the same or putting on a pound or two is going to happen sooner or later - better that we do it now while we are still vulnerable but learning so that we have the strategies, strength and resolve to deal with this for the rest of our lives.

So take heart that you are not alone - but it is your inner strength that will see you through.

Take care and bye for now. xxx

Jools that sounds like the perfect weekend - so glad you both had a lovely time.

Cath

Oh, I've had so little time to post - but wanted to get a quick post in with a few thoughts.

Well after my Bruges splurge last weekend it was business as usual for the rest of the week and then of course its been Easter. Its been great having time off work for the long weekend - we were planning to go to my in laws in Chester but as OH had to work on Saturday we postponed our trip. Gave us a chance to catch up with stuff around the house and garden, do a bit of shopping and spent a lovely family day at my sister's on Sunday. The weather has helped.

Foodwise I've been doing my Week 3 management (for the 2nd time) as agreed after my Bruges trip and am now in Week 4 (extra veggies allowed which I can cook and I can also cook my fruit now.

Its been great feeling that I am back in management proper and I have my LL pop in Wed eve. I suppose if I'm honest although I was happy to put on 2lbs in Bruges with my relaxed eating and inclusion of alcohol, I would like to see that 2lb shift soon. The scales will tell on Wed - I am dteremined not to be a slave to the scales at home so haven't weighed myself.

I am so enjoying the food choices especially now I can have cooked veg as well as salad. The thing I am enjoying MOST is the fruit. I've discovered pomegranate yum - and am making the most delish home made smoothies for breakfast. I whizz up some frozen blueberries with either some frozen raspberries or fresh strawberries with some organic apple juice, a bit of pomegranate juice and some alpro light soya milk. Yum, yum, yum, yum,yum!!!!!:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

The fruit bowl is full with all sorts of stuff as is the fridge. I've cooked some rhubarb in the microwave a minute ago and will have it with some low fat Easiyo yoghurt later.

So didn't feel it necessary to eat any choc over Easter. At my sister's she did an Easter egg hunt for the kids and not one stray one past my lips. normal choc doesn't do much for me. Give me 70% stuff though...For dinner she did roast beef - I had the beef but with salad rather than veggies. I had strawberries and low sugar jelly for pd and passed on the choc fudge cake and strawberry cheesecake.

All my family said how well I was looking and I do feel well. I even did 10 mins on my nieces' garden trampoline - without fear of breaking the springs. How good is that exercise!!!
I admried my 24 year old niece's outfit and I tried it on - size 12 linen trousers and a pink paisley tunic top size 10 - amazingly the trousers were a bit too big and the top a bit tight aroud the bust - and everyone said I looked great and very summery. So yesterday I got the same outfit - its from New Look (never been in there before) and got size 10 trousers and size 12 top. Better make sure w don't wear the same outfit at future gatherings!! These amazing feelings of getting into these sorts of clothes and sizes should be bottled...
Feeling good about what I am choosing to eat and my new size. Pinch me and I may wake up in a minute.

Another great day. Home made smoothie (blueberry, raspberry, apple jusice, pomegranate juice, alpro light soya milk) for breakfast. Salad and fruit for lunch with a LL soup. Lean roast beef and veg for dinner followed by kiwi, pomegranate seeds, sf jelly and low fat yog.

Had my final session with Mark my psycho/hypnotherapist (boo hoo it was the last one). That guy is awesome. Today we did some hypnosis (a new experience for me) and he worked on my subconscious mind with loads of positive messages and thoughts about hunger, healthy eating and being OK as a slim person for the rest of my life. I was so deeply relaxed, and I got a bit emotional at times. Enough said here for now. I will miss the sessions but it is time to move on - and Mark's door is always open if I feel in need of his support as life moves on... so a bit pensive today with loads to think about.

The other great part was I went to LL - and I've lost the 2lb I put on in Bruges - actually lost 2.5lb so I'm my lightest weight!! And I thought I'd been eating loads this week. Ready to move on with management - preparing for week 5 from Monday.

Too much to think about to write anymore...

Hia Joolz,

Lovely to read your last post. I feel that we haven't 'spoken' for ages. I've been down in Wales for over a week and have just got back, and although I've been reading all my e-mails, I have not had time to write many responses.

It sounds like you are really enjoying the Management part of the programme. I did too. I am in the middle of my last week (!) but feel really confident that I can continue long term with the new habits I've been able to create. I will continue with the LL meetings too. I guess it will take a long while to do unconsciously what I am doing at the moment consciously. It is what LL calls moving from 'conscious competence' to 'unconscious competence'.

Bye for now... :wavey:

Hia Joolz,

Lovely to read your last post. I feel that we haven't 'spoken' for ages. I've been down in Wales for over a week and have just got back, and although I've been reading all my e-mails, I have not had time to write many responses.

Thanks for your comments AJ - its nice to have you back around and glad you had a good trip away.

It sounds like you are really enjoying the Management part of the programme. I did too. I am in the middle of my last week (!) but feel really confident that I can continue long term with the new habits I've been able to create. I will continue with the LL meetings too. I guess it will take a long while to do unconsciously what I am doing at the moment consciously. It is what LL calls moving from 'conscious competence' to 'unconscious competence'.

Bye for now... :wavey:

Well how exciting (and nerveracking) that you are nearly completing management and will be flying solo!! Mark my hypnotherapist talked about "habits" yesterday. A behaviour becomes a habit if it is repeated for about 4 weeks - so the odd day of having something extra - an extra glass of wine, piece of cheese etc is fine but if you say "its Friday lets have cheese after dinner" and do that every Friday for 4 weeks it becomes a habit much harder to break. So the odd splurge fine - we just have to think like a slim person rather than a newly trained ex fat person!!
I know you will continue to do well. Best of luck hun!!

Was just having a read through, nosey ...eh! And saw you are from Burgess Hill. My parents are from East Grinstead so know it well from visiting relatives, though havent been that neck of the woods for years now.

Oh Sonya, no prob with you being nosey - I am too!!! I'm not from Burgess Hill but live here now as Hubby's business is in.....East Grinstead. Small world eh?

Generally - I'm in the office today and pretty busy but taking 5 mins with a black coffee to catch up on Minimins. Its good to see AJ back and posting - I have found AJ so inspirational - I feel as if I'm following in her footsteps as I go through managment and its great to know that what I am going through, thinknig feeling etc, that I am not alone. What a great little community we are.

I've also today signed up for the 3 day trial at Weight Loss Resources. Wanted to see what it was like (nosey see) but also I do my own notebook food journal but was struggling to find resources to look up calories etc as I am keen to see what cals and nutrition I am imbibing now I am in the land of eating again.

Hia Joolz,

I tried the three day trial a couple of weeks ago. It was useful because it not only showed how many cals, but also how much carbs, fat, sugars too. I found it a bit fiddly overall though so decided to just do my own thing. It is something I would reconsider though.

Oh, its one of those days when the old me would have found solace in high carb, food like cake and muffins and flapjacks!!! To explain - I have been working in Leeds today. That meant a 4am alarm call (not a mornig person) to get the train into London and then on from Kings Cross to Leeds. I had packed some fruit and water with me as I knew healthy options would be hard to find. The Kings Cross train broke down so ended up getting to Leeds an hour and a half late - and over 6 hours travelling - so late for my meeting then back to back meetings and presentations all day. Now on the train home again and the only saving grace is my laptop and wifi means I can get on here and have a rant - as well as do some work!!! If this train arrives on time I will eventually get home at about 11.15pm tonight. Its hard with the travelling to eat healthily - I've only had fruit all day and tea coffee etc. So will have some salad and protein when I get in. Its days like this when I wish I didn't have to work - but that's just my reaction to a stressful day and I am tired. Sorry to rant and I'll get over it.

Back