Jo's food log

Ah yes, I work very much from adapted child - might be something to do with having strict parents!!??? But I am only adapted for so long then I go rebellious child - which is when I used to go "oh stuff it" and eat/drink. Weird I do try to think more in adult but I think it takes time, I am probably more teenager for the most part<G> I just worry so much about putting the weight back on and want to keep around the weight I am now - it suits me and I am happy with my body - not something I have said for years. Even with all its strech marks and lumps and bumps!! I got a great ricer, havent tried to cauliflower yet though, but also have a curry planned for this week.

Have you had any more wine/champers? I tried a bit of wine on Monday, didnt really like it which I was sad about, and have had no urge to try any since - how weird is that from the former great white wino!!!

Jez
xx

Nah no more champagne for me so far! I am out on Wednesday for leaving drinks and am tempted to have one drink then as I am allowed it as of Thursday - think I will see how I feel!

Made myself a chicken curry this evening with the mashed cauliflower instead of rice - whoever thought of this is a genius! Obviously it's not the same as rice but for someone who hasn't eaten it in over 7 months it is a REALLY good substitute! Enjoyed my curry but my tastebuds can't cope with the level of chilli they once did xx

Lol Jo, were you not into the tabasco in the soups - god I became addicted totally!! I made my curry this afternoon too, but saving it for tomorrow evening. Had some lovely salmon tonight!

Have a great week ahead :) Good to have you posting again

Jez
xx

Afternoon all! Haven't been around all this week although I have been catching up on other people's posts.
It's been a strange week on 2 meals and not without it's problems to be honest. It started well enough last weekend with me having a good breakfast both mornings of 2 rashers of grilled bacon and some grilled tomatoes. My favouritest breakfast in the world is/was tomatoes on toast - obviously the toast is out at the moment (and will probably remain that way) so this is the next best thing. Felt quite happy during the day with my bar and a snack of either jelly & yoghurt or some fruit, then was having my evening meal.
The problems came on Monday and then throughout the week. I am very lucky in having a good staff restaurant at work at is generally quite healthy and always has healthy options. So on Monday I had a tuna salad with a bit of balsamic - it wasn't a particularly big salad and seemed to be made up of mostly iceberg (I didn't want much in there so she filled it out with lettuce!). I felt really sick all afternoon which wasn't great or conducive to doing much work. Tuesday we went out for a leaving lunch and I decided to have the Sea Bass with a mixed salad. I asked for it to be cooked dry with no oils/dressings - it turned up swimming in olive oil, so they re-cooked it for me and it was lovely. The salad though was dressed and so I left that. About an hour after eating it I felt hugely bloated, as if I had eaten a really rich meal, that didn't go for pretty much most of the evening. Wednesday I thought I would go for something smaller - a minature side salad from the salad bar at work and a portion of cottage cheese. Same problem. By this point I was getting mightily hacked off with it all. I had/have no problems eating in the evening but lunch is crucifying me.
So...yesterday I decided to mix things up a bit and had lf yoghurt and some fruit for breakfast instead, a bar for lunch and a pear. Things were looking up and I wasn't feeling too bad...until...I had some fresh pineapple at about 4pm. OMG! I cannot eat pineapple sadly - about 15 minutes after I had eaten it I could feel all my insides cramping up and it just hurt, to the extent that I kept holding my breath.
Like I said, it's been an interesting week - was talking to my LLC last night she thought it might be something to do with a lactose intolerance. It's possible as I have been a fan of the yoghurt and cottage cheese and I do like a cappucino. So today I am cutting out the coffee, had bacon, tomatoes and some mushrooms for breakfast, a bar as an early lunch and some fruit and seeds just now. So far, so good.
It really is a massive learning curve this RTM - I never thought I had any food intolerances but it's looking like I do.
My and my OH are going to see Simon Amstell do stand up tonight and I think we might get a bite to eat before we go which I find very exciting!
Oh, and at weigh in last night I managed to lose 4.5lbs which astounded me! I am now 1lb below my ultimate goal of 10 and a half stone. It's amazing, I never ever thought I would get to this point. I still don't see myself as slim/thin though - although everyone else clearly does. Like Jez and Morticia I think it's because I don't have a flat stomach which is weird because the rest of me is really quite thin (the bits I can see anyway!).
Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings as I should go and do some work
xx

Hey Jo,

Good to hear from you. Funny I was just wondering thos morning how you were getting on...:)

It certainly sounds like you have some sort of intolerance. I think you're doing the right thing by going back to basics for a while.

Enjoy tonight...:D and well done on your losses.

Hi Jo

It's funny, but on at my meeting this week a lady rejoined (Blonde Logic style) after putting about 20lb back on. She was saying that she found several food intolerances when reintroducing food on RTM. First I have thought about this aspect of RTM. Definitely something to be aware of.

She's rejoined LL as recent problems have led to her weight gain over the last few months after maintaining for 18 months. She is back to stop any further escalation and stay in control. Well done that woman.

Absolutely T_I! I think because we generally used to eat foods which didn't make us feel great anyway, we didn't necessarily notice when we were intolerant to things - now we've been on this massive detox it's a lot easier to tell and believe me having stomach pain eavery day this week has not been fun!

So an update on all of this is that I think it's a mixture of the yoghurt they have at work and coffee - I felt fine until I had a coffee from the machine and a bit of yoghurt, wasn't as bad as previous days which was good so I think I am just going to have to stay away from it...ah well, we live and learn!

Went to see Simon Amstell last night who was very funny, went for a quick bite to eat beforehand and had a poached salmon fillet salad - not that exciting really and I think that's the thing that I am noticing in restaurants, healthy food that isn't carb laden or swimming in oil generally means you are eating salad which is disappointing. I don't know what Jez thinks about this - maybe I am generalising but it's the same with veggie food (OH is veggie), it does tend to feel as if healthy food and veggie food is a bit of an afterthought.

We're off to Blackpool this afternoon to look at the illuminations and it's not my favourite place in the world - normally we always have fish and chips when we go so am not sure how I will feel about it all (it's normally the only thing I look forward to!)

Hope everyone has a good day xx

Hi Jo. Finding a healthy veggie option has always been a struggle. Restaurants seem to think that any veggie option needs to come in pastry or with a couple of pounds of cheese on it. My gym has just launched a new menu and there is absolutely nothing on there I will eat when I have finished maintenance. I have found that Thai and Japanese provide the best options but you do have to pick and choose.

I would love to see more options other than roasted vegetable tart or risotto!

Hi jo

You are right about the detox. It's like starting again with food isn't it? As we gradually re-introduce foods we realise which ones don't suit our digestion, whereas if you are anything like me I used to consume so much of everything it would have been difficult to identify the culprit !!!
I can also relate to something Jez said.
When I tried wine it was a great disappointment and I felt let down. I has been looking ofrward to it so much and was worried about it as a trigger because I used to drink every night.
Now I'll have the odd small glass or champagne, but honestly I can take it or leave it. Quite handy in a way beacuse I always drive when we go out in the evenings anyway.
How had got to like booze so much before?:confused:

Hey Jo

So good to hear from you, sounds like you are rocking this RTM gig!! Sorry to hear about the intolerances, but good to discover them now rather than later. I actually managed 3 sips of champers the other night, and had about 100ml white wine last night. Nice but I think like SB I can now take it or leave it. It is definitely not something I crave and I was worried it would be a trigger. So so far so good. RE the flabby tummy, it is the only pocket of fat I have left, the rest of me is almost too skinny!! If I win the lotto, I will absolutely go and have a tummy tuck! Sorry to hear you are all having problems eating veggie food whilst out. I agree most people have no imagination with it and there is so much that can be done!! I have a great time experimenting with it all, so my clients are quite lucky, perhaps I should open a veggie restaurant!!!!!

Jez
xx

Morning all! Wine and booze in general, it is the one thing I have always been able to take or leave and I always said I wish I could be with food and fags the way I am with booze. It's one of those things where I am happy to have a drink/no drink. However, when I decide I would like to have more than I will do. Right now I would be pretty much a 2 drink wonder I think so am taking it very easy.
Blackpool yesterday wasn't too bad - the main problems were the food and the cold! Had some yoghurt and jelly for breakfast with some flaked almonds on the top which was lush! Oh, did I mention I have taken up running?! In some crazy moment of energy I decided about 2 weeks ago that I wanted to run - now this was always something that I just couldn't do (imagine a lumbering thing weighing upto just under 20 stone trying to run...it was never going to happen!). So 2 weeks ago I put my trainers on, grabbed my stopwatch and off I shuffled. I'm quite lucky in that we're near a canal so it's nice and flat along there. I'm doing 2 mile circuits at the moment with walking and running and the best bit - I love it!
Anyway, went for a run then came back to my jelly and yoghurt which was gorgeous, had a shower and then we went up to Blackpool. Had an apple at about 2pm but stupid me had forgotten to take a bar. It got to about 6ish and I started to feel hungry - Blackpool is not the culinary centre of the universe and whilst they do the best fish and chips I didn't want to be in huge amounts of pain because of the fat content. So we found an italian which looked OK and I could ask for various things to be left off...

Decided to go for the fish of the day which was sea bass - apparently it came with pesto and basil - I asked for it just plan sea bass with vegetables. It came plain with 2 broccoli florets and 4 carrot batons and had quite obviously been fried to within an inch of it's life. I scraped some of the oily residue off but was really disapointed. I felt I couldn't send it back as I hadn't asked for it to be cooked dry (only plain). I then had a taste of oil in my mouth for most of the evening which wasn't great. Did a few more of the trams then headed home - all I wanted was a hot drink and a bar! I don't know what I will do when I can't have bars anymore!

This morning I'm riding and then some housework before cracking on with the decorating all this week. I want to make some soup - been thinking about carrot, squash and sweet potato so might give that a whirl later xx

Hey Jo

Sorry to hear about the oily fish!! Why don't people get what "plain" is ????? My LLC has said that there are maintenance bars and things you can use as food suppliments after RTM. I do also plan to always keep a few packs on hand for my very busy days. It will give me the security that I can eat something safe and calorie counted. Why don't you try the same? The running sounds awesome, I really should give it a try but was so put off the experience when I had the personal trainer years ago and was hugely overweight, just made me hurt and feel crappy. I have had a few little jogettes here and there and I seem fine now, so perhaps I should give it another go.

My sis made a carrot and parsnip soup with orange and ginger, and I did a lightly curried sweet potato and butternut. They are gorgeous, so filling and wintery warming, I keep some in the fridge so I can just heat them up at work and things.

Good luck with the decorating!

Jez
xx

Hi Jo

You must live in Lancashire somewhere. I grew up in Blackpool and worked in most of the big attractions and at a friends B&B. It was a great place to be a teenager and very useful for picking up work during the summer university breaks so I could always pay off my debts and save a bit to start the new term.

It was starting to become quite run down by the time I moved away for a career job, but I think they are starting to improve things a bit now. I used to love walking through the lights at the north end where all the murals are. I would agree though, the cuisine choices in Blackpool are very poor.

Brilliant to hear how much you are enjoying running! Do you believe in fate? I've been thinking about running regularly since I did the 5km four weeks ago. Well, I met someone at my OHs work quiz night last Friday. I knew her vaguely from the church, although I haven't been for ages. At the end of the night she came bouncing over to me and chatting away said she had taken up running and was loving it. I said I had just done a 5km and she asked if I was a runner then - I said NO! but had enjoyed the 5km. She says she'll call for me when her pulled muscle heals up :eek:. At this point I started backing off a bit and thinking - oh no, I'll never live up to it. I'm a complete beginner and this woman runs 10kms easily.... On reflection though - what a great opportunity. She seems a really nice person (I don't know too many folk here), lives very close by and is prepared to help me start running from scratch. I know I am much more likely to regularly run if I run with someone else. It would be quite good fun. It might also gives me a new friend. Fate? Yes, I think so. I told my OH to let her know I would be keen after all.

Who'd have thought! Like you I never enjoyed running, but suprised myself at the 5km and really enjoyed it. I would love to be able to run the whole distance next year. How my life is already changed. xx

Wow TI

Isn't it strange how fate plays a part like this?
Interesting that you wanted to say yes tothe lady's offer, then you thought about it and slipped into the old ways of thinking "I won't be good enough".
Then success - you thougt it through again and decided to go for it.
Superb. Congratulations. I hope you do make a new friend too.

Go for it T_I! You wouldn't believe how much easier it is thin! I couldn't run more than about 20 seconds without being a mess and after about 2 bursts of 20 seconds would get the most excrutiating shin splints. Now, no shin splints and it gets easier really quickly. I've done 2 weeks of 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk and yesterday I upped it to 45 seconds run, 30 seconds walk. My confession? I went out and did 2 miles yesterday, went riding this morning and have just come back from another 2 mile run as I was bored and restless at home and if I didn't do something was going to eat - so went running instead! At least this way now if I do have something extra to eat later I have already burned it off. I've always said I would like to excercise enough to not worry about what I eat, at this rate I will be able to! I've got a circuits class tomorrow and then Pilates on Wednesday and Thursday so might run again on my "off" days.

On the food front made some awesome soup this afternoon - butternut, sweet potato, carrot and coriander. It was lovely. Whilst that was doing I was inspired by Jez and her love of compotes so did an apple, sultana and cinnamon one - I think that was what made me go out running as left alone with that I would have just spooned it out of the saucepan, so I am learning! I know that more than anything boredom is most definitely my trigger. Why is it that housework just doesn't seem to distract away from food? I have a mound of ironing that I should be doing but seem to have chosen not to!

I've rediscovered running whilst on LL. Was amazed the first time I tried it and how even a few stone off made a huge difference. I love the way that you can track your progress really easily with it and pretty much (as a newbie to running) you can improve your time or distance every time you run. Getting a good pair of shoes are essential though and will save you from lots of potential injuries and niggles.

Your soup sounds great - can't wait until I can cook the veggies!

Hi Jo and Wooster - any recommendations for programmes to follow for running beginners? Any what about footwear - any recommendations or tips to look for?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend getting fitted for a pair of trainers - I did a couple of years ago and then never used them! Badly fitting trainers are the source of all sorts of problems. Have you got a running shop nearby or else you could try a gym which has a shop, they would be able to help.

As for training plans, definitely work on the running/walking method - gradually upping the running and decreasing the walking. I really enjoy it...

Back