Juddders Unite!

Can't we have an 'All diets, Maintenance Forum' ?

Except I'm not dieting:cry: I guess I need an 'eating what you like/not dieting/support forum' :D :D

In some ways, it's actually harder being a 'successful' dieter on here than when you're a 'struggling' one.

I couldn't agree more. I do often feel a bit 'out of it', even now that I'm dieting again. I think it's because I can't write about struggles or problems because I don't have any, and then I feel that makes me seem arrogant, and then I barely post at all so nobody knows who I am anyway, except that I'm the bossy one who always answers the exercise questions.:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. I do often feel a bit 'out of it', even now that I'm dieting again. I think it's because I can't write about struggles or problems because I don't have any, and then I feel that makes me seem arrogant, and then I barely post at all so nobody knows who I am anyway, except that I'm the bossy one who always answers the exercise questions.:rolleyes:

...and everyone is so pleased you do answer the exercise questions as you do it so well.

Here's one for you

I've been JUDDDing this week and keeping to the 500 calories on the DownDays. I've been still doing my workout in the gym being careful but generally not noticed any difference. I usually exercise in the afternoon and if anything I find my UpDays are harder than the DownDays. Do you think the calories I've had the day before are probably more important than on the day. For instance DD today and I went swimming 20 lengths took it very easy. Then went to Gym listening to my body but was up for it worked out for over an hour mostly cardio including a 20 min run. I'm feeling great!

What do you think? Would be good to know
this for when I want to push myself a little harder. I know you upped your calories but you do so much more and also aren't able to ease off as I can if I need to. So I was happy to try 500 calories.

Thanks Kate.

Dizzy x

Ahem, I know who you are and you ain't arrogant in the slightest so there!!!! :p

Hey Diz

It's more the carbs from the previous day that make all the difference. If you've got plenty of glycogen ready for use from the previous day, your body will fuel you through exercise even if you haven't eaten yet (which is why we can exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach without passing out). However, try to make sure you have carbs again before the next time you work out - if you are exercising every afternoon, then on your 'up' days try to have something like cereal or fruit for breakfast to give you plenty of carbs ready to use as fuel later on.

On the 'down' days, you'll use up a lot of your body's glycogen. If you then don't eat any carbs until the following morning, you may not have enough in your system to work at your best in the afternoon of your 'up' day. If I'm teaching a class at night and then another one in the morning (or one at 2pm and one at 6pm etc.:rolleyes:), I will eat some high GI carbs immediately after exercise to make sure I have enough fuel in time for the morning. Often this just means something like Lucozade but it does give me a good excuse for chocolate on a regular basis :D. If I'm not teaching until the following evening, however, I will stick to low GI carbs.

Hey Diz

It's more the carbs from the previous day that make all the difference. If you've got plenty of glycogen ready for use from the previous day, your body will fuel you through exercise even if you haven't eaten yet (which is why we can exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach without passing out). However, try to make sure you have carbs again before the next time you work out - if you are exercising every afternoon, then on your 'up' days try to have something like cereal or fruit for breakfast to give you plenty of carbs ready to use as fuel later on.

On the 'down' days, you'll use up a lot of your body's glycogen. If you then don't eat any carbs until the following morning, you may not have enough in your system to work at your best in the afternoon of your 'up' day. If I'm teaching a class at night and then another one in the morning (or one at 2pm and one at 6pm etc.:rolleyes:), I will eat some high GI carbs immediately after exercise to make sure I have enough fuel in time for the morning. Often this just means something like Lucozade but it does give me a good excuse for chocolate on a regular basis :D. If I'm not teaching until the following evening, however, I will stick to low GI carbs.

Thanks Kate that's brilliant!

Was feeling that to be the case. I don't exercise everyday but often I do on consecutive days. I will take on all your advice and do my best around the plan. Will only be sticking to 500 calories on down days for one more week and will then up it. My kids are home this week so will not have much opportunity for the gym maybe a couple of evenings or early mornings (but I don't really do them!).

The weight has fallen off me this week. One week weigh in tomorrow morning.

Thanks as always for the great advice. Eventually it will begin to sink in I reckon.;)

Dizzy x

Fantastic info Kate! I was a bit worried as I exercise a fair bit with boxing, tae bo and cycling and was wondering how I would get throught it on DD's...now I know! :D

Great to see you again by the way ;)

Barb - 21st May 2007
RussianDoll - 21st May 2007
Bex - 22nd May 07
Bakerfa(Anja) - 22nd May 2007
D Q - 22nd May 2007
Westhills (Ann) - 29th May 2007
Dizzy - 22nd May 2007
Fiona78 - 30th May 2007
Diva - 28th May 2007 (trying it for two weeks initially!)
Shazza - 25th May 2007
Kate - 21st May 2007

I've decided to change my start date.
My weigh-in night for SW is a Wednesday so I thought that I could make Wednesdays a DD and as we are suposed to weigh the morning after a DD it makes sense. I think. Kind of. Hmmmmmm.
I know what I mean anyway! :D

I'm weighing every Monday morning - which is after what I call an ID (intermediate day) ... this is how I'm dividing my week.
Mon / Weds / Fri = DDs: 500 cals
Tues / Thurs / Sat = UDs: 2000 cals (or less)
Sun = ID: around 1000 cals to take me back to a DD.

I don't think it matters whether we weigh after a DD or a UD because it'll all average out as the weeks pass. :)

DR J makes the point that you should weigh after a DD - I think this is mainly so that you see the best result possible and don't become down hearted. I am seriously considering doing Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat as Up and Tue, Thu, and Sun as down, keeping Monday as official weigh in day!

Barb - 21st May 2007
RussianDoll - 21st May 2007
Bex - 22nd May 07
Bakerfa(Anja)
D Q - 22nd May 2007
Westhills (Ann) - 29th May 2007
Dizzy - 22nd May 2007
Fiona78 - 28th May 2007
Diva - 28th May 2007 (trying it for two weeks initially!)
Shazza - 25th May 2007
ChocVelvet - 29th May 2007

Hoping this plan makes a difference - the number of times I've said 'I'm going to do blah blah blah' then got derailed..... Anyway, looking at this as a fresh start.

Thats the spirit! It is a fresh start, a whole new way of eating that is life changing!
I too have said, loads of times, 'I'm gonna do it this time, i know this is the right time etc....' but I have never been able to look months into the future and imagine still doing it. That's the difference for me, I can, I can do this for as long as it takes because it's only one strict day at a time. i can still have a social life, drink wine, have a biscuit, go out for dinner, just not every day! It's really that simple. In fact why didn't I think of it? Wish I had. Then we would be Buddders not juddders - hmmm perhaps it's just as well the way it is!

Love

Sounds better than DUDDERS, which is what it would have been if I'd invented it! :eek:

Or what about if we dropped the 'Johnsons' then it would be UDDERS :D

No, please not Uddders!

Hop aboard Chelle - the more the merrier (then we can get a really balanced view on whether this plan works!)

Another JB (Judddy Buddy) - how cool! :D

Back