Jumping to JUDDD to get me to goal, and beyond!

So glad you have found a plan that works better for you Cate. You sound quite liberated lol x

Well, we'll see if it's working Susie. Will be interesting to see where I am on Tuesday although I'm thinking that the following Tuesday will be more indicative of weekly fat losses as I will probably have regained all my glycogen water weight by this Tuesday. Having said that, although I do find it challenging to get through the DDs the promise of being able to eat the next day keeps me strong and I am enjoying that.

Well done on having another successful DD. Looking forward to seeing your menus for today; your food choices always seem wholesome and very tasty! I am a big fan of Greek yoghurt, but I love it with chopped nuts and honey.

I hope you are having a great day!

Day 6 - UD

9.00am - two slices of buttered rye bread spread with my egg mayo mixture; average sized slice of s-i-l's chocolate birthday cake (last piece - phew!)
10.00am - coffee
Water during the day
4.00pm - can of Coke Zero
7.00pm - BBQ. Ate quite a bit but didn't feel like I pigged out. (1 x minced beef skewered kebab; 1 x chicken thigh; 1 x chicken drumstick; 1 x lamb samosa; 2 x small veg pakoras; bit of pot salad, coleslaw, couscous; 4" piece of buttered baguette; picked at a few crisps; small bowl of salted caramel ice cream. Jug of sangria made up with 1 x bottle of red wine diluted mixed with lemonade and soda water. (Jug was between two of us).

So although last night I was fantasising about having spag bol for breakfast, when I got up this morning wasn't that hungry so just had my rye bread and mayo - and then the last piece of s-i-l's chocolate birthday cake! Knew I was going to a BBQ tonight and wanted to eat guilt free so decided to try and eat as little as possible during the day. In the event, it didn't take any will power as just wasn't hungry. I think the heat has a lot to do with it - well that and being busy with other stuff. 11.20pm now and feeling pleasantly full. Have to be up at 7am as brother-in-law is coming to get James at 8am to take him for a golf lesson. And another UD to look forward to. Yay!

Last edited:
Hi Cate, have just read through your diary, you're doing amazingly well! Im also coming off a VLCD so interested in how things go for you on JUDDD. I really want it to work for me too now, Ive been yoyo-ing for years!!!

Hi Cate, have just read through your diary, you're doing amazingly well! Im also coming off a VLCD so interested in how things go for you on JUDDD. I really want it to work for me too now, Ive been yoyo-ing for years!!!

Hi Reena, welcome to my diary. What VLCD have you been doing? I'm still feeling my way with JUDDD. I'm treating this first week as the week that I re-establish normal body composition re. glycogen levels so not sure how much, if anything, I'll actually end up losing, After that my weekly losses should be indicative of my ongoing fat losses on JUDDD. My weigh in day is Tuesday after my Monday DDs.

Day 7 - UD

8.00am - coffee with milk
9.00am - 2 x buttered ham rolls
11.00am - bowl of strawberries, blueberries, FF Greek yoghurt, 2 x tsp dark brown soft sugar
1pm - Twix and Flake
4pm - 4 x small veg pakoras and 1 x lamb samosa
8pm - bowl of spag bol and then two bowls of Carte D'Or salted caramel ice cream

Funny that I felt hungrier this morning after eating yesterday than I do on the morning following a DD. Looking at what I've eaten there are a lot of wasted calories there. Did I really need two ham rolls - probably not. Why did I eat the Twix and the Flake; and if I had to have some chocolate, did I really need to eat both of them? I ate the pakoras/samosa because James brought the box in from the kitchen to have as a snack while we were watching the Commonwealth Games and they were there. Did I need to eat two bowls of ice cream? No. I must get better control over myself on my UDs.

So tomorrow it all starts again. Bring on week 2.

Last edited:
Well done cate. Like you have identified there are some empty calories but ultimately I think you'll find this easier to stick to that exante. Keep it up! X

Well done for realising those things I think you're gonna rock this you know! I am the same morning after a dd I'm nowhere near as hungry as I am morning after an UD! Suppose your body just gets used to it....

Well done for realising those things I think you're gonna rock this you know!

Thanks for that. I hope so. Am feeling a bit annoyed with myself over yesterday's food though. Far too many empty calories there. Need to be more controlled on my UDs.

I used to love an empty calorie *stares wistfully into the distance*

I wouldn't worry Cate. You're finding your feet with being able to eat anything you want on an UD. It will soon settle down and I found that the longer I was fasting I ended up craving less junk..was like my taste buds changed along with losing weight. I also became less likely to self sabotage because if I couldn't fit something in one UD...I'd just have it on the next which was only one fast day away....rather than the old eat everything in sight before "the diet" starts at midnight! x

I also became less likely to self sabotage because if I couldn't fit something in one UD...I'd just have it on the next which was only one fast day away....rather than the old eat everything in sight before "the diet" starts at midnight! x

I think that psychologically there was something of this going on with me yesterday re. the ice cream. I didn't need two bowls and could easily have kept the last serving for Tuesday. As you say, it's still a learning curve. Having said that, am breezing through my DD today. Not been hungry at all.

Day 8 - DD

10.45am - Coffee with milk and Exante bar
1.30pm - Coffee with milk
8.00pm - Exante shake

Water during the day. Might have a Coke Zero later if I feel the need but will try not to. Will aim to stick to water.

So have breezed through today. Haven't had my second Exante product today as not feeling hungry yet (7.20pm) but will have it at 8pm as am weighing tomorrow and want to give it a good 12 hours to clear through my system! That makes me sound like a total neurotic, I know. This has been my easiest DD by far. I can hardly believe I get to eat again tomorrow. I am loving JUDDD.

I've never been good at delayed gratification in pretty much any area of my life. When I decide I want something, I pretty much want it now. This is one of the reasons I have a wardrobe full of clothes still with the labels on that have never been worn, plus unused handbags, shoes, cosmetics, toiletries. I am rubbish at self-control. But thinking about what Ali (Weebuns) said on an earlier post on my diary about if she can't fit everything she wants in on one day, she just makes a mental note and knows that she can have it the day after next. That is so true - it's adopting the attitude of 'yes, I can have everything I want but just not all at the same time'. Not implementing this behaviour i.e failing to implement any real self-control over my eating and just eating what I want, how much I want whenever I want is what has got me to where I am now. Even after 12 weeks on a VLCD in 2011 which saw me lose 3st 5lbs I failed to learn the lesson and any new habits and just went back to doing exactly what I'd done before. Surprise surprise - the weight piled back on. Not this time. Fasting is a way of life for me now.

Hi Cate I'm following a VLCD at the moment and although I love it and have lost nearly 2 stone my losses have slowed to 1-2lb a week, far too little for the hard work input in! 3 shakes a day 450 calories a day! So I'm considering jumping into JUDDD so I'm really interested to see what your losses are like , changing from no eating to eating! The thought of going back to consuming food really scares me but after reading about JUDDD I really think this is the way to go! One question i have though is do u have to do day on day off or could I do UD Friday, Saturday, Sunday DD Monday Tuesday we'd Thursday or something like that! Haha x

Cate your diary is fabulous to read, I'm so glad that the change if diet is suiting you so well - looking forward to your next weigh in xx

Hi Ava,

That's what happened to me and exactly how I felt - that's why I switched to JUDDD. Also, I always intended to do some form of fasting to maintain my weight loss when I got to goal so I'm treating this as a switch to a new lifestyle rather than moving from one diet to another as I never intend to stop fasting, just reduce the number of days to a maintenance level when I get to goal and can ascertain what my maintenance levels will be.

With regard to the number of days, there are all sorts of variations. JUDDD as proposed by Dr Johnson in his book, The Alternate Day Diet is exactly that. Then there is The Fast Diet and The 5:2 Diet which both propose two days of fasting a week. Also, there are some that say just to reduce your calories over the course of the day but don't say when to eat them so you could spread out your calories if you like. Others propose fasting all day and having one meal or at least having several hours in between meals to get the health benefits of fasting. I guess it's all down to personal preference, objectives, what you weigh, how fast you want to lose it etc, etc. For me, I'm doing 4 UDs and 3 DDs, fasting Monday, Wednesday and Friday and eating on the other days. I have something at breakfast and then nothing during the day until the evening. At the moment I'm not eating real food on my fast days but having Exante products which are 200 cals each and then an extra 100 cals as milk in my coffee.

I will be posting my first official weigh-in results tomorrow - that will be for eight days of JUDDD. To be honest, I wouldn't read too much in to my first week results as having come off a VLCD the likelihood is that I'll have put on some water weight since I've started eating carbs again. I think this coming week and my weigh in next week will be more indicative of how things are likely to proceed from here.

Good luck with making your decision.

Back