Just can't get motivated :(

Hider28

Hello All,

Recently realised the key to being healthy and losing weight is eating less and moving more (shocking hey?!)

However, I just cant seem to get motivated :( On the treadmill this morning, I lasted 2 minutes before getting bored (what's all that about?!).

I'm just looking for tips - what do others do to motivate themselves to exercise? I want to enjoy it, and to want to do it rather than see it as a chore I have to do everyday to get healthy.

Thanks All and Hello too btw - been a silent observer for a long time!

I also listen to music, i normally select a playlist off youtube to keep it interesting and watch the videos at the same time as the music.

I also set myself 'minute by minute' targets while i'm working out. I work out entirely on my cross trainer, the first 5 minutes i have to reach 6-7 calories a minute, then the rest of the workout i have to maintain 10 calories a minute minimum. I usually try to beat my 10 calorie target each minute. Sounds really silly but it helps break the time down and pushes me onwards. I often end up beating my own targets and that means i get to go at a slower pace for the final 5 minutes to cool down and chill, and i love the rush i get when i am ahead of target. I exercise 30 minutes in total.

During my workout i also find my mood changes quite considerably. At the beginning i feel just normal, then after about 5 minutes i start thinking "why am i punishing myself?!" and things begin to hurt, my muscles ache and i'd give anything to step off the cross trainer (every time at exactly 8 minutes in for some reason!). Then when i push through that point, right about half way through, i start feeling happy and excited, my pain goes away and i'm feeling athletic and fit and like i could go on forever.

Try setting yourself a set time to spend on the exercise each time... even if it is only 10 minutes, it is still better than 2, and just stick with it for the full 10minutes, tell yourself no matter how hellish it feels you are going to do it. You might be surprised, after a few days of doing it you may find it becomes a whole lot easier and 10 minutes simply isn't enough anymore ;). Pushing through that moment of dread and boredom is really worth it.

That's great advice thank you! I've actually used a running app today and yesterday and managed 25 mins each day - so definitely agree with focusing on mini goals / music.

Thanks all

I'm the same as losingit...setting yourself targets is the way. I do re calorie target she mentioned and I also try to do minute ones as well e.g. Faster speed for 2 mins or if I feel like stopping I go nope not until a round number of mins or cals and by that time I'm feeling loads better and can occasionally increase the number of mins I am gonna workout for

it's funny because today I tried it without the app/targets and could barely do a couple of minutes. Stopped and then set a target for 100 calories, did it in no time.

The mind does wonderful things!

Hider28 said:
That's great advice thank you! I've actually used a running app today and yesterday and managed 25 mins each day - so definitely agree with focusing on mini goals / music.

Thanks all

RunKeeper? I use this daily and love the detailed information it'll give you during and after the workout.

RunKeeper? I use this daily and love the detailed information it'll give you during and after the workout.

Using Get Running (couch to 5k app) - find it really motivating. Not used runkeeper as im only on a treadmill at the moment, will start using when I go outside though!

Back