just read nhs directs veiw on ketosis-now im not sure!!

Nikkilulu

im desperate to loose weight and was really keen to start cambridge this week, but then i started looking into it a bit more and now im not at all sure ive just read nhs directs view on ketosis and now im really not sure. it sounds really dangerous to put your body into this state.
It sounds as though you can really damage your kidneys and liver if you persist for more than 14 days.

Just dont know what to do at all!!

can anyone give some advice please.

thanks nikki

Do you have a link? Its possible they may be talking about ketoacidosis?

This is what i saw on nhs direct.....
Maybe a bit misleading?

Ketosis - Definition
Ketosis is a process in which your body converts fats into energy. During the conversion, ketones are produced as a by-product. Ketones can give your breath a sweet, fruity smell that may be mistaken for alcohol.
Your body normally uses glucose to meet its energy needs. Glucose comes from the carbohydrate in your diet. A healthy, balanced diet should provide you with all the glucose your body needs, so that ketosis does not take place. However, if your body does not have enough glucose, perhaps because your diet is very low in carbohydrates or you are starving yourself, it will begin ketosis to obtain energy from its stored fats instead. As a result of this, the ketone levels in your blood will rise. Prolonged severe ketosis can be dangerous as it can change the acidity of your blood, which may eventually lead to serious damage to your liver and kidneys.
Recently, diets that recommend you eat lots of protein and very little carbohydrate have become popular. These high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets, known as ketogenic diets, are intended to work by forcing your body to begin ketosis to burn fats and create quick weight loss. Because long periods of ketosis can be dangerous to your kidneys and liver, ketogenic diets are never recommended by health professionals for more than short-term use, typically no longer than 14 days. Many nutritionists warn their patients, especially women in the early stages of pregnancy, against following them at all.

Ketoacidosis in diabetics

If you are diabetic and fail to have your insulin injections for a long period, you may experience ketoacidosis.
The lack of insulin means that your body cannot use glucose in your blood to create energy, and ketosis occurs. The resulting high blood glucose levels also lead to dehydration as your body attempts to remove excess glucose by passing more urine. This in turn affects the level of electrolytes in your body.
If left untreated, your body will release so many ketones into your blood that your blood will quickly become dangerously acidic. Together with unbalanced electrolyte levels and dehydration, untreated diabetic ketoacidosis can lead to coma and death.

Wonder then why many hospitals use VLCD's to treat their obese patients?

So long as you are sensible, get checked regularly and follow the guidelines set by the VLCDs you should be fine. There are side effects to everything - even crossing the road can kill.

Didn't mean to sound flippant or be offensive - it's a good thing you are doing research before you start which ever diet you choose

Last edited:
Also that NHS guideline specifically mentions High protein diets, and kidney damage. There has been no proven link between high protein diets and kidney damage either as far as I know.

When you start CD your doctor is notified anyway. I've not received any worryingly quick contact from my doctors surgery yet, will start worrying when I do.

Oh god, this is what my sis in law has been telling my mum. SIL is a dietician and has completely worried my mum to death, saying that I am going to ruin my kidneys and liver due to this diet.
She was exactly the same when I did Slimming world though. Hmmm.

Next time your sis in law does trot that one out, say thats very interesting and you would like to see some more details on it. Does she have any further reading for you? Obviously she is getting her information from somewhere. Journal articles? Recent studies?

Very few people can then actually reference the claims that they are making.

I would also wonder if your SIL is at an ideal weight for her height? Or maybe has a few pounds to lose herself?

I've seen this page before and yes, it's very misleading. I have no idea why it's still up as the information is so out of date.

The cambridge diet is probably one of the most researched diets in the world. It follows the NICE guidelines and is often used in hospitals.

People get very confused about ketosis thinking it's Ketoacidosis, which is a very different thing.

Look at this one from the House of Commons

Clinically proven formula diets are one such solution. As proven safe and effective weight loss methods they should not be overlooked as one tool in the fight against overweight and obesity. IDFA seeks a national weight management policy that encompasses all successful options for losing weight—including formula slimming diets.

FORMULA SLIMMING DIETS

Formula slimming diets are nutritionally fortified and balanced, calorie restricted products which help individuals achieve an energy restricted diet without sacrificing nutritional requirements. They:

— provide guaranteed nutrition delivering exact energy and nutrient intakes without calorie counting or fuss;

— are clinically tested for safety and efficacy, are backed by 20 years of scientific research, and have been used successfully and safely by millions of people world-wide. Studies show that they can also be used successfully in maintaining weight loss;

— comply with European legislation and UK standards. European regulations specify the composition of specific categories of slimming products, labelling and advertising. Very low Calorie Diets, soon to be regulated under EU law, currently comply with Department of Health recommendations. Advertising is also subject to The Advertising Standards Association, British Codes of Advertising and Sales Promotion;

— are convenient and easy to use providing a temporary break from food preparation allowing time to re-evaluate lifestyle and re-educate eating habits. Many dieters find that the use of such products keeps them motivated to stay on their diet; and

— are palatable and enjoyable enough to be used for long periods—essential since it can take several months to achieve a target weight.

IDFA,

18 April 2001

House of Commons

Thanks for posting this KD, It's one thing being able to explain to friends and family how the diet works, but another being able to show them some official research and an official document abiout the diet.
x

If it's any help, I was dreading telling my sister that I'm doing CD as she is a GP and gave me a real ear bashing when I did Lipotrim years ago......but I told her and she said CD is the only VLCD that her surgery will approve because the others don't tell them what is in it where as Cambridge do.

At the end of the day no VLCD is intended to be followed forever, it is a means to an end and hopefully we can all re-educate our eating habits and once the weight is off eat healthily to maintain our weight.

cd provides enough protein, carb, fat etc for your body to enter mild ketosis :) and the vitamins and minerals prevent your body from going into starvation mode, protecting lean tissue and organs :)
I was telling someone the other day(who was shocked I was tucking into a choc coated peanut bar ;) ) that cd was originally designed medically to aid weight loss in obese patients prior to surgery. Hardly going to put patients lives in danger, are they?

During the conversion, ketones are produced as a by-product. Ketones can give your breath a sweet, fruity smell that may be mistaken for alcohol.
???? Where did they get this info from, my breath is rank:jelous:

???? Where did they get this info from, my breath is rank:jelous:

Yes, they often say it's a fruity smell, which is a politically correct way of telling someone their breath smells rank :D

haha tripletrouble..thats exactly what i was going to say!! Clearly they were smelling their breath after a shake..not the rest of the time! lol x

My breath is rank too :( My DD told me today I'm stinky!! Charming! lol

Back