Just wondering...milk?

lilzee

would I come out of ketosis if I had a cup of tea with say ... full fat milk in rather than skimmed? ...I'm sure I asked my OH for my milk ? :eek:

helpo pleasey

thankies

Oh you can tell I've never done this before :crazy:. Thank you . Must be skimmed milk just to keep the calories low.

Thanks for your reply

The carbs are roughly the ame - but full fat has double the calories. It won't knock you out of ketosis.

Ok, I have question. Please don't be mad at me for getting it wrong if I have but I'm just really curious.

I tend to drink around 300 ml of semi skimmed milk a day which is roughly 150 cals :eek: I had a calcium deficiency in my teens and began my cheese and milk thing and now it's almost a comfort thing for me and my calcium levels are pretty good too :)

Anyway, if I were to do a total food replacement which is 4 packs I know I probably couldn't drink that amount of milk and still remain in ketosis so I was wondering if I could do 3 packs and 300ml of milk? Would I get all the recommended nutrients? I'm also a vegetarian (no eggs either) and can't tolerate soya as it makes me itch so can only eat cottage cheese/paneer according to literlife lite (when I enquired a few years ago, it may have changed now and I know I'm on the slim and save forum now) and it's not something I can see myself eating everyday for months on end so I couldn't do the 3 packs and protein thing but could easily do the 3 packs and milk.

I want to do what's right and safe so any input would be so so welcome. Thanks

I'm not sure - the thing I would worry about would be the level of carbs in that much milk and whether or not you'd get enough protein. I'd suggest that you contact Slim and Save to ask. Alternatively work out the total carb and protein level you would have in a day - I would want max carbs to be around 60g and the minimum amount of protein to be 50g.

Thanks Weasey. Whoa, you've done great on this :)

I copied what I wrote on here in my email to slim and save and here is my response:

"I would like you to maintain with 300ml per day of the semi skimmed milk.

With your packs you can do 4 packs per day without the vegetables allowance no problem at all.

Kind Regards,

Rob"

So, I'm assuming I can do that amount of milk and 4 packs and still be in ketosis? I'm a little confused by the email actually but then I'm easily confused by most things!

I find the response confusing too. I'd either email back and clarify or work all the values out and see if you're ok. You can use MyFitnessPal to do that - it has all the SnS packs in it.

Personally I'd do what Weasey says and count the carbs. If I wanted to add more milk I'd probably look for the packs with the lower carbs and use those. The silver spag bol for example is about the highest, whilst the oatmeal without the milk it about the lowest (I think!).

Thank you both. I'll do what you said but I've also emailed rob again and will paste his answer on here when he replies

Here is my reply:

"What I meant was you can have the 300ml of Semi Skimmed Milk along with the 4 packs per day and nothing else.

100ml of Skimmed Milk = 50 calories and 4.8g of Carbs.

300ml of Semi-Skimmed milk is 150 Calories and 14.4g of Carbs.

4 Packs is equal to 600 Calories + 150 Calories from milk = 750 Calories Total (Still VLCD)

split the 300ml into 4 servings af 75ml and had either mixed with your packs or at the same time as a drink with your packs you would be having 3.6g of Carbs + the carbs in your packs at each meal serving. You would stay in ketosis and still lose weight and be on a VLCD"

Hmmmm - I'd still want to check the total number of carbs - if you had that and 4 sliver packet spag bols you'd be having 95g of carbs which for most people would knock them out of ketosis. You might be one of the lucky ones though. You could always give it a go or you could use MFP to work it out.

Thanks Weasey. I'm currently trialing another diet but if it doesn't work for me I'll try slim and save but yes I'll do it your way. Thank you for posting xx

Back