Karenlou's diary - Hello, I'm home!

Thanks guys. I've applied to the University of Lincoln to do a PhD in Social and Public Policy; looking at non-visible disability and the disadvantages faced by people with invisible conditions in the workplace. I've cheekily emailed the Department of Health to see if they would give me some financial support in return for using the NHS as my case study employer; I do work for the NHS at the moment so that would be ideal for me.

I'm very nervous and probably losing weight from my "nervous tummy" at the moment! (sorry for tmi) :D

Wow that sounds great, social/public is a really interesting subject. I work for the NHS now as well!

Hi Karen, just popping in to wish you luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you! Big hugs xxx

good luck for the interview hope you are having a good evening take care x x

Thanks for all your good wishes guys - Lydia, what sort of job are you doing in the NHS now? I personally think they're a good employer.

Well, I had my interview and I think it went well. One or two things that I wish I had mentioned but nothing too bad, I don't think. They were very friendly and nodded in the right places. I had done some background research and brought a short paper with me and they said they thought my proposal was well-developed.

The panel is meeting next Friday (a week tomorrow) and I should have a decision by the end of September. So time to wait and see.

NHS Employers rang me back and said they don't sponsor research but liked my proposal so will "effect an introduction" to one or two people who might. A sponsor would be perfect as I wouldn't have to worry about how to pay the bills while I'm studying :)

Right, off to do the rounds of other diaries - take care y'all x

Well done karen that sounds as if it went very well, I'll keep on keeping everything crossed for you

Hows JUDDDD going?

M

Thanks M. I'm feeling very enthusiastic and raring to go so really hoping I'll be successful.

JUDDDD is going well I think; I like the idea of dieting only every other day and I'm getting used to sticking to below 500 cals on my down days (I'll always like the up days better I reckon ha ha). Weigh-in days alternate on JUDDDD because you're meant to always wi either after a down day or an up day consistently, so wi is Saturday for me this week and Friday next. Proof of the pudding (ha) will be on the scales on Saturday so fingers firmly crossed.

Hi Karen

Sounds like all is going well - thanks for the visit on my diary xx

Thanks for all your good wishes guys - Lydia, what sort of job are you doing in the NHS now? I personally think they're a good employer.

Well, I had my interview and I think it went well. One or two things that I wish I had mentioned but nothing too bad, I don't think. They were very friendly and nodded in the right places. I had done some background research and brought a short paper with me and they said they thought my proposal was well-developed.

The panel is meeting next Friday (a week tomorrow) and I should have a decision by the end of September. So time to wait and see.

NHS Employers rang me back and said they don't sponsor research but liked my proposal so will "effect an introduction" to one or two people who might. A sponsor would be perfect as I wouldn't have to worry about how to pay the bills while I'm studying :)

Right, off to do the rounds of other diaries - take care y'all x

Sounds like it went well hun, good luck, got fingers and toes crossed for you.

I'm working as an Executive Assistant to the Chair of the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement!! Quite a mouthful!!

I'm working as an Executive Assistant to the Chair of the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement!! Quite a mouthful!!

Oh wow, I use some of thier tools at work, they are great. Wonder if they'd sponsor my PhD? It's very innovative...

well done on your interview glad it went well. have a great evening take care x x

Hi all. Sorry haven't been around for quite a while. I've been ill and my mum's been taking up a lot of my time too. I'm hoping to go back to work in the new year and I must be feeling better as I'm bored...

I have been offered a provisional place at uni - they are just checking on my references - with a bursary to cover fees :)

My NHS trust may be giving me some time to do the research as well in return for owning the toolkit and training package once it is completed - going to have discussions with my boss's boss before I go back to work in January.

Diet-wise I am maintaining my weight and aiming to continue to do so. I'm on shedloads of drugs at the moment, some of which are known to cause significant weight gain so if I can stay this weight and not gain, despite the meds, I'll be reasonably happy.

Nice to hear from you Karen :) Are you trying to maintain with WW or anything, or just watching being careful with what you eat?

Well Ive been doing a bit of a stop-start thing, counting cals then not etc etc. I'm going to go back to WW Core again I think as I've always liked it and it means I can eat till I'm satisfied as the tablets do give you a big appetite and I get miserable counting cals or points.

Back