KD's tips to remember 'stuff'...mnemonics et all

KD

Gone fishing
I have collected such a mass of tips for remembering facts and now I'm getting older, I have decided to release them one by one to make way for new information ie how to care for grandchildren without upsetting inlaws, how to fill in a Saga application for over 50's holidays, how to get to the loo without wetting myself etc. All much more important to me these days.

So I thought it would be fun to release one tip each day on this thread until further notice. I'm sure many you will know. There may be the odd thing that you haven't heard though.

:D

GRAMMAR

There's no 'e' in grammar. Think of GrandMA, who writes and speaks in perfect gramMAr :)

Cool.:cool: It will just be a bit of fun. Some Mum told me I ought to write a book of them as the children are always quoting them :D

No book...here will do;)

looking forward to a daily dose of tips, Im rubbish at tips, DD is doing spelling at school and couldnt spell rain (shes 5) kept getting a and i muddled, shes left handed (left handled she says!) I told her to imagine little a's coming out the sky when it rains so they come first, it worked though, she got it right, maybe shes got my warped mind!!

looking forward to a daily dose of tips, Im rubbish at tips, DD is doing spelling at school and couldnt spell rain (shes 5) kept getting a and i muddled, shes left handed (left handled she says!) I told her to imagine little a's coming out the sky when it rains so they come first, it worked though, she got it right, maybe shes got my warped mind!!

Not surprised it worked. Very visual way of remembering :cool:

Aw!

Not after semi-colons, promise!

I will wait quietly (well, I will try!) for your thread to unwind.
A

Can't take requests, cos I probably don't know the answer:p :D

Anyway, you tease. You know everything already :D

2 tips for the price of one today :clap:

Longitude and Latitude

If you forget which direction the lines go, remember Lat is Fat so that's the lines the run from side to side (West to East). You could also think of a Long boy for Longitude (North to South)

Diarrhoea

D
ash In A Real Rush, Hurry Or Else Accident:)

Not surprised it worked. Very visual way of remembering :cool:

So that was good????? I wasnt coached as much as a child so I struggle, but I get frustrated sometimes too as I cant explain that well, any tips for getting stuff like tHAT sorted are more than welcome.

2 tips for the price of one today :clap:

Longitude and Latitude

If you forget which direction the lines go, remember Lat is Fat so that's the lines the run from side to side (West to East). You could also think of a Long boy for Longitude (North to South)

Diarrhoea

D
ash In A Real Rush, Hurry Or Else Accident:)

Love them both, but the diarrhoea one is fantastic, I m going to memorise it now

Fab tips KD, will use the Longitude and Latitude ones at school. I always tell the students to remember 'along the corridor, then up the stairs' when they are struggling which comes first in gridlines.

I always tell the students to remember 'along the corridor, then up the stairs' when they are struggling which comes first in gridlines.

That's a gone one :) Will add it to my collection:cool:

I was going to avoid tips concerning English grammar. I’m afraid I spent most of my English class in the special needs group, known at the time as the Dunces group :cry: ...with Beverley the Bully and Smelly Stephen:cry::cry: My grammar isn't exactly perfect.:eek:

The question of when to use a semi-colon was brought up on another thread though, so I'll attempt it. Feel free to correct if necessary.

A semicolon is a way to ‘glue’ two sentences together to show there is a close relationship between them. If I put a full stop between two sentences, their relationship seems further away as the reader stops for longer at a full stop. Not as exact as the poem below, but gives the general idea.

At every comma, stop while one you count;
At semicolon, two is the amount.
A colon doth require the time of three
The full stop four, as learned men agree.

So now take these sentences.

I love spiders. They are cute and cuddly.

The reader would put a natural pause after the word spider. If we put a semicolon instead..

I love spiders; they are cute and cuddly.

you would read it all as one sentence and the relationship seems closer :cool:

That's the general idea anyway :D

How could I possibly correct such perfection?

You are doing a grand job. Now you are going to call me a creep again aren't you? :sigh:

:cry::cry::cry:

I never knew that; thats cool.

I wonder if in the 70's and 80's things went to pot when teaching me english, did they have ofsted back then????

I was going to avoid tips concerning English grammar. I’m afraid I spent most of my English class in the special needs group, known at the time as the Dunces group :cry: ...with Beverley the Bully and Smelly Stephen:cry::cry: My grammar isn't exactly perfect.:eek:

Thought I told you not to mention that to anyone KD????? and you haven't paid me the £1 a day dinner money for the last 4weeks either .... you don't want me to have to chinese burn you do you????

So it was you Bev:eek: :D

Chinese burns was nothing compared to what our bullies 'enjoyed' I'm afraid :(

As for the £1 a day. Go suck your socks:D

Back