Ketchup/Mayo/salad cream?

chelseaharvey

Now I no thA Mayo/salad cream is a no unless there is a away to make your own

I have seen no added salt or it may be no added sugar henzi ketchup is this allowed I'm sure I read on here somewhere people were having it?

People do have it, I've used it myself a couple of times but watered down with pepper, balsamic and lea and perrins sauce.

I'm guessing from your posts that you're struggling to stick to Dukan? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Ohhhh no LOL

I am fine now day 3 I struggled but over it now & really enjoying it. I just miss having something to dunk stuff in you can't beat some chicken & Mayo & it's stops it being so dry.

Was just asking as I didn't want to be missing out if you could

No Mayo or Ketchup.

There are recipes in the book to make white sauces with either fromage frais with herbs or with mustard. You could also use some eggs or just yolks and mash them up with some fromage frais and mustard. I know the book starts the recipes with a selection of sauces for exactly that reason, and ther must be some in the recipes here too. As I said my standards are variations based on fromage frais or quark. Made Ketchup is a no-no, even the low sugar etc because it usually has thickeners. If you have to have it you're limited to about one tablespoon a day as a 'tolerated item'

Oh and NO sausages: Too high in fat and other carby additives even the low-fat versions. The one Dukan himself allowed as tolerated are 'Merguez' - they are a speciality north african type sausage available in France. They're tiny and I think one is a tolerated item. Herta poulty sausages are allowed, one a day as a tolerated item I think.

Coca powder - stay clear of anything pre-mixed, sachets, light, weight watchers etc. The ONLY thing allowed is the fat reduced cocoa powered - thats a cooking ingredient and the only type available in the UK is Tesco Value. Other brands are no fat-reduced. But not all Tescos stock it, I've never seen it. Again one level teaspoon counts as one tolerated item.

More info on tolerated items (you can have a maximum of two a day) and any foods you think you might tor might not be allowed to have: look in the FAQ that is pinned to the top of the thread. The main rule - stick to basics. Make it yourself from the permitted foods. If it's not on the list then it's not allowed. And definitely stay clear of anything that already premixed, pre- prepared etc they all have hidden sugars, carbs, thickeners etc etc. And 'no carb' usually means there is fat in it. 'No fat' usually means there is sugar in it etc etc. It's a minefield so stick to basics, life is much easier that way.

Finally you're a week or two into the diet, all these 'extras' and 'tolerated items' should only really be considered when you reach the point of extreme boredom or when you might crack and give in to a completely unallowed treat or worse. If you're already craving sausages, ketchup and chocolate then this might not be the diet for you. Sorry if that is not helpful thing to say but I've watched you ask question after question here and I am wondering about your motivation.

Thanks Anja. I use the salt an low sugar ketchup and now I'm stalling I'll try to cut it out. Any suggestions for replacements?

Finally you're a week or two into the diet, all these 'extras' and 'tolerated items' should only really be considered when you reach the point of extreme boredom or when you might crack and give in to a completely unallowed treat or worse. If you're already craving sausages, ketchup and chocolate then this might not be the diet for you. Sorry if that is not helpful thing to say but I've watched you ask question after question here and I am wondering about your motivation.

There just questions????? :eek:

Isn't this what this board is for, for advice or general queries.
As you said um brand new to ths diet I have the book on my iPhone but it's a PITA having to flick back & fourth looking for certain things

I am very motivated ths Khoi, this is the one time I actually feel very motivated I have tried a feather W/W, S/W Cambridge but struggled with them this one I feel I really can do

Not I'm not craving a sausage no I font want chocolate a friend sent me a Dukan friendly chocolate brawnier re ripe I was confused on the coco powder

Yes I miss mayo something to dip my chicken in etc but jeez I have had it for years course I am going to miss it just over a week into this diet!!!!!!!! Again it was just a question I asked??!!:confused:

Home-made tomato salsa is nice for having wih chicken. And chicken coated with southern spices and oatbran tastes like KFC! :D

Anja, what about venison sausage? I don't want to stall but fancied one, wont risk it though :(:(

Thanks Anja. I use the salt an low sugar ketchup and now I'm stalling I'll try to cut it out. Any suggestions for replacements?

No, I've never found a replacement for ketchup - but its never been much of a feature in my diet anyway. I think people experiment with mixing tomato puree with vinegar plus seasoning and watering it down...

The trouble with sausages is that they're inevitably going to have some form of "starch" in them...

Anja's advice really is spot on. You don't have much to lose and all these little extras and dubious foods (which he has accepted, I admit, and they might not affect your loss provided you don't have all of them at the same time!!) will only slow you down.

I advise to make your own mayo (recipe in the book). A lot of the recipes floating around on the net, while not officially "wrong", will slow your loss because of the tolerated items.

Good luck!

Sorry Chelsea,

yes accessing these forums is a PITA from an iPhone. It's a new phenomenon us 'oldies' are still getting used to - people only see half the posts, can't access profiles or signatures etc etc..., so from our point of view they seem to only read half the available information

Get yourself to a computer and spend a bit more time just reading the forums, read your book cover to cover, the whole explanation of the diet not just the description of the relevant phases. I know it's all new, you're really keen and of course your'e trying to find out what works and what doesn't. All I see if a gazillion questions from you, to questions that have been asked many times and that are already answered in lots of places. I did not want to denigrate your effort and yes we've all been there, weighing up the options. All I meant to say is try to keep away from the extras for as long as you can. Launch yourself into the new style of eating 100% and don't expect for alternatives for all the things you used to have (I still miss the daily bowl of proper Muesli for breakfast!). Well done so far and good luck sticking with it.

Caledonia: I have NO IDEA about venison sausages. Sure Venison is lean and allowed as a meat but what else goes into the sausages? Generally sausages are "not so nice" and very dry if they don't have a certain fat content, so lean meats then have fatty cuts (bacon etc) added to make them tastier. And added rusk to retain more moisture. I'm no expert I just stayed well clear. And now I have sausages only on 'celebration' meal days.

I love the Dukan mayo its great for dipping and also on the recipie thread there's a great sweet chilli sauce these might be just what your after. I love them but maybe twice a week good luck x

I'm going to just avoid sausages to be on the safe side, maybe I'll make more home-made burgers and experiment with the spices etc - think Atropos has mentioned some interesting ones before. Thanks Anja.

Hi chelsea, in my book "The Dukan Diet Life Plan"...it says that low sugar low salt ketchup is tolerated. I use it occasionally, but it isnt very nice really, not like normal sauce! I often make up, like someone said on here, a salsa dip for dipping chicken fillets in etc......xxx

Back