Knees!!

My knees have been a little, hmm, crunchy for the last few weeks, but I think this was because I spent a day doing too much walking in the wrong shoes. I haven't been having pain when doing kw, just alarming noises. ;) So I am careful not to squat too low and to keep proper form when squatting (ie make sure my knees never go past my toes).

All the squats should eventually build up the muscles around the knee, also, providing more stability for the joint (or this is what I was told by a personal trainer, anyway).

My knees, shoulders and ankles all click every now and then. I sound like castanets! I find that after the warm up and first couple of exercises it goes away. Its not painful just a bit off-putting! :)

Ive got rubbish knees - mostly no ligaments after a life of drunken debuachery, loose women and gambling (oh and running. actually mostly running). when some nice girl says Ive got cracking knees I take it as a compliment altho how many women like knees?

Ive learned that pilates helps as posture is better

I engage my vastus medialus (inner thigh) muscle esp during squats

Some cracking noise is scar tissue. Or ligaments popping back in. Painless noise is ok (it might be gases which you get in your back, think of it as a knee fart)

Learn to fold at the hips esp in swings

Never extend knees over feet (inc running)

I've started taking fish oil.. In the hope that it will help .. Think I'm in week 3 so maybe it will kick in Soon.. Or might just have to buy some WD40 lol

now dont joke about wd40

my mad irish father in law with creaky knees did honestly spray wd40 on them....we had a laugh until we did some research and guess what - wd40 is rumoured to have in it fish oil....

how weird is that

I've started taking fish oil.. In the hope that it will help .. Think I'm in week 3 so maybe it will kick in Soon.. Or might just have to buy some WD40 lol

now dont joke about wd40

my mad irish father in law with creaky knees did honestly spray wd40 on them....we had a laugh until we did some research and guess what - wd40 is rumoured to have in it fish oil....

how weird is that

I've heard it all now! :D

its contracting the muscle. at first if your not used to it seems harder than it is but quickly you learn how to do it

its no different that doing kegels or using your core in pilates - you build the signals from brain to muscle and become conscious of it. the principle of hyperirradiacy also helps - that is when you contract muscle around the area you exercise and it makes a more solid platform e.g. contract your abs in press ups

Yup, mine are doing that! I went to the doctors and he's given me physio for it, it's something to do with the cartilage. I'm taking glucosamine and fish oil capsules but they haven't worked at all yet I don't think. My knees are actually really bad, you can hear them grinding even as I walk up the stairs and even though I've stopped kettleworx, they're just as bad.

Back