Late Night Munchies

Dohnuts

So I always seem to be hungriest at the very end of the day before going to sleep - the very time when eating is a no-no. I'm restricting calories to under 1000 per day and keeping low on the carbs. I'm trying not to eat after 7pm, but come 9/10pm my stomach is growling for more. Sleeping earlier doesn't really work for me because I don't get tired until around midnight. Any suggestions? What do you guys do to suppress the late night munchies?

Yeah, I'm thinking of having my evening meal a bit later too. Seeing as I don't sleep until late and don't plan on eating carbs I could probably get away with eating as late as 9pm. It's driving me crazy!

I just have a low calorie snack in the evening, then have my main meal just before bed - I know there's the old wives tale about not eating late etc., but I've lost nearly five stone and don't go to bed hungry, so I'll carry on being a late eater! x

It doesn't matter when you eat, provided that it fits your daily calorie intake requirements. If you needed to eat 1,500 calories to maintain your weight and ate nothing all day, but then ate 1,500 calories worth of food just before bed, you would still maintain your weight.

Time really is nothing. If you are hungry, then eat something before bed - it won't affect your results at all. Of course you do need to eat a calorie deficit though, if you want to actually lose weight. However, if you can maintain a deficit, don't worry when you eat. Just think about what you are eating.

Yes sussexrob does bring up a good point; 1,000 calories probably is too little for you. Eating too little can be counter-productive. If you're going for a calorie deficit, aim for a deficit of 500 calories and no more ideally. This will allow you to lose 1lb per week consistently, provided that you consistently drop your calorie intake week by week to avoid plateaus.

I did a few calculations online and my resting metabolic rate according to my height, weight and the amount of exercise I would normally do is 1,350 calories. So a 500 calorie deficit would be 850 calories - which in the end i decided to aim for. Plus exercise I should lose perhaps 2 lbs a week. How can eating less than 1000 calories be too little for me?

You are 8 stone 8lbs, with a BMI of 21.3. That's honestly pretty healthy. I would bump your calories up a little and get in more protein. If I were you, if you aren't already, I'd take up some resistance/free-weights exercises.

I'm sure you have got very little fat on your body at 5'3" 8st 8lbs. I would now work towards getting a bit of strength and muscle - don't worry, you aren't going to look huge by using free-weights. Women have considerably lower levels of testosterone than men and it will take a lot of time to notice much of a visual change. It will keep you healthy though and combined with cardio, you'll be a lot healthier.

I don't have a lot of fat on my body, but I would like to become just a little leaner. I'd like to lose about an inch of my arms/legs and perhaps 2 or 3 of my stomach area. I don't have any weights but I've started doing some cardio workouts which also concentrate on toning the arms abs and legs. Perhaps I'll get some when I get back to the UK. Thanks for the advice.

I've found a great healthy ice cream. Its called wheyhey or something. I have a pot before bed and it fills me up, tastes just like normal ice cream as well, apart from it doesn't have all the fat and sugar. It seems to good to be true, but it is true!!

I miss ice cream so much - I'll definitely look for that when I get back home. I've been meaning to try Skinny Cow ice cream too - apparently thats got less calories too.

Last edited:
Back