Let's talk about booze!

HellieCopter

Gold Member
How do you successfully fit wine/other alcohol of choice into your life?

I ask because it seems like every time I drink, I have a sts or gain, even if I have an allocated syn quantity of wine or say, gin and slimline tonics.

Obviously, sometimes I go out and start off with good intentions but then a few gins later my resolve weakens significantly! Weeks like that are a deserved gain and usually prepare myself for that.

But what about ‘normal’ drinking? For example, tomorrow night OH and I are having a rare Saturday night in and I’d like us to share a bottle of red wine. I really enjoy drinking wine! Now, I will not have any other syns for the rest of the day and will carefully measure it so we have half a bottle each and I can accurately count 15 syns. But I am worried it will, if experience is anything to go by, have an adverse effect on the scales come Wednesday.

I don't usually drink during the week, and I have cut down a lot from my pre-SW days. So – how do you keep a moderate amount of alcohol in your life and still lose?! Am I destined to go teetotal?!

Thanks chums…

H x

Last edited:
Alcohol is my biggest downfall, I try and save my syns for it but still go over and end up not losing. :cry:

This may sound bad but as my C pointed out, I have gone from drinking 7 days a week to just drinking at weekends which alone is a big achievement.

After Christmas I really plan to cut down even further and just drink one night and be very strict syns wise.

I really hope someone answers this with words of wisdom as I need help too!

On a related note I'm going to a couple of gigs this weekend and my weigh in is on Monday, I'm trying not to use all of my syns on booze (I put on 1.5lb the weekend I did, grumble grumble) but feel a little sad standing there with my diet coke. Maybe that's just something I need to get over.

I was like Alcoholiday and used to drink most nights ..... now I save most of my syns for the weekend so that I can enjoy a drinkie and still feel saintly syn-wise.

Some weeks this makes me sts and others I lose ..... there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

The way I look at is, this is a plan for life, so it needs to fit around my life, if I couldn't look forward to a night out and a few beers of a weekend I'd be miserable. If I'm going to do this for life then I suppose I (grumpily) have to accept that my weightloss may be slower because of those wee drinkies..... but hey ho, at least I'm enjoying myself along the way.

Hope that makes sense!

Jo x

I was like Alcoholiday and used to drink most nights ..... now I save most of my syns for the weekend so that I can enjoy a drinkie and still feel saintly syn-wise.

Some weeks this makes me sts and others I lose ..... there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

The way I look at is, this is a plan for life, so it needs to fit around my life, if I couldn't look forward to a night out and a few beers of a weekend I'd be miserable. If I'm going to do this for life then I suppose I (grumpily) have to accept that my weightloss may be slower because of those wee drinkies..... but hey ho, at least I'm enjoying myself along the way.

Hope that makes sense!

Jo x

That makes perfect sense and is exactly the way I am looking at it. I really look forward to my weekends when I can have a drink and chill out. If I didn't have that then I'd fall right off the wagon or go insane :)

You are both completely right, I guess I need to stop being so impatient about getting into THAT dress (and spangly hotpants, lol), and start to relax and enjoy my nights out rather than fretting about them. The drinks are on me!:D:D

There were lots of very drunk skinny girls out last time I went out. So there must be a way! Wish I knew it was, I have all but given up drinking, and still not losing.

Lynda

My weightloss doesn't seem to be affected by drinking unless I make the mistake of forgetting to ask for diet coke, or start drinking cocktails... oops.

The only things I can think of doing to maybe lower the chances of a gain because of drink is to have half a shot of spirits instead of the full 25ml. Suppose on a night out that's awkward to do in the pub. With wine, me and bf used to do half diet lemonade + half white wine.. made the booze last longer and felt as if we were spreading the syns lol.

I dont really know if this is helpful or not, but have you tried brewing your own wine? (&/or beer?). Its very easy! I have done my own wine for a couple of years now, & find because I can control the alcohol volume to some extent, I can reduce the %volume, & therefore the syns. So all the flavour of wine but lower syns. Not to mention considerably cheaper!

I don't drink often but had a night out after my first weigh in and was worried i wouldn't lose. Had about 5 vodka and diet cokes and lost 3lbs. Not sure if this was a fluke and just because it was only my second weigh in (slows down after that i think)

I don't drink often but had a night out after my first weigh in and was worried i wouldn't lose. Had about 5 vodka and diet cokes and lost 3lbs. Not sure if this was a fluke and just because it was only my second weigh in (slows down after that i think)

5 Vodkas is only 12.5 syns, not really a lot when you consider I can easily polish off a bottle of rum (70 syns) at the weekend and then drink more rum at the pub.

I do keep that within my syn allowance but then can blow it by having a couple of large ones in the week after a particularly bad day.

5 Vodkas is only 12.5 syns, not really a lot when you consider I can easily polish off a bottle of rum (70 syns) at the weekend and then drink more rum at the pub.

I do keep that within my syn allowance but then can blow it by having a couple of large ones in the week after a particularly bad day.

Oh really, are you saying if i had this every weekend i could still lose :D

I did make sure i didnt have any other syns for the day though.

It is good that you have cut the drinking down to just the weekend. Thats a big achievment

My weightloss doesn't seem to be affected by drinking unless I make the mistake of forgetting to ask for diet coke, or start drinking cocktails... oops.

The only things I can think of doing to maybe lower the chances of a gain because of drink is to have half a shot of spirits instead of the full 25ml. Suppose on a night out that's awkward to do in the pub. With wine, me and bf used to do half diet lemonade + half white wine.. made the booze last longer and felt as if we were spreading the syns lol.

Love the idea!!! Yuppie to my guilt free (well almost) evenings with bottle of wine

I drink, and I drink every night!
I use 90% of my syns on alcohol.
I use a proper tot measure and I have a tot of brandy in a pint glass with diet coke.
I can easily have 3 or 4 of these evrey evening. Sometimes I have all 6 (15 syns) but that is mostly over the weekends, where I can easily have 8! But I still syn them and it evens out over the week.
I do sometimes, but seldom, have a glass of wine but syn that too.
I am losing weight ok and I lose the same as if I were to use my syns on chocolate or crisps, and give me my tipple any day!
My C has said that a syn is a syn and you can have it anyway you wish.

i tend to only drink at weekends - but i always have vodka and diet coke...if i have a wine/champagne i get VERY drunk and risk having chips on the way home (or worse - pizza and chips!!!) lol!

i sometimes have a glass of wine in the evening - but top it up with diet lemonade to make sure it lasts longer....cos i know what i can be like (used to have a bottle a night - easy!)

x

i have a night in every friday with my hubby watch a film have a few drinks ive only being doing slimming world for 3 weeks and had 2 weigh ins and have lost 10lbs. I went out and bought myself a drinks measure when i started and i measure out 5 shots of vodka into a jug then lock the bottle away lol i also have a single shot in a pint glass and top it up with diet coke and ice and a slice to make it last longer. I enjoy a glass of wine but i dont think its worth the syns lol would much rather have extra vodka

Natasha, I have a lockable cabinet but I would get drunk off of the 5 vodka's and convince myself to set the vodka free from the cabinet and drink more! The pint is a great idea though, the glasses I have are just under a pint so a 25ml shot goes a long way, sometimes I only use half a shot especially when I'm near the end of the bottle lol.

I keep a little book in the kitchen, and mark off each time I have one. That was my hubby's idea as he was tired of me asking "have I had 3 or 4?" so now I know.
I don't lock the bottle up but count my little lines in the book and stop, mostly always, when I have marked 6!

I keep a little book in the kitchen, and mark off each time I have one. That was my hubby's idea as he was tired of me asking "have I had 3 or 4?" so now I know.
I don't lock the bottle up but count my little lines in the book and stop, mostly always, when I have marked 6!

I tried that one, but forgot to write them down when I'd had a few lol.

I also tried having Rum in a pint full of coke but I drink rum because I like the taste and it was just too diluted to enjoy :rolleyes:

Back