Lexie's very first baby diary !

That. was. amazing.

They gave me 3 photos, one for me, husband and my mum.

So wiggley and only 3 days out from my original date. Happy days. D

Moan.

Yes I can carry that box, yes I can eat that. Yes I can still walk, I'm pregnant not incapacitated.

No I don't care how horrendous your pals/sisters/nieces labour was. No I don't know how I'll feel at 9 months pregnant, no I don't wish baby would hurry up and come.

Yes I can drink tea. No I'm not driking coffee at the moment, you did? Wonderful but I'm not.

Yes I can still look for work, no we've not found a bigger house yet. No I don't care how terrible your pregnancy was. No I don't want to hear about your third degree tear.

No I don't care if its a boy or girl, and I'm certainly not giving a toss if one or the other would balance out your perception of "family".

My breastfeeding wishes are nothing to do with you, and no I don't want to hear what a hard time you had trying to.

I wish people would back off. I get that they are excited and care, but can I please just enjoy this pregnancy on my own terms? Does that make me a bit precious?

I want to enjoy my pregnancy. At 13 weeks its probably too early to be terrifying me with labour stories and "what makes baby come early".

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! I wish it was still a secret and I hadn't told anyone.

I'm getting to the stage where I dont take my mobile out with me now and I like when its just me, husband, peachy bump and the dog for some peace and quiet.

I don't know if its fed upness or hormones, but I'm dreading a bump because the way I feel if anyone tries to touch it I will actually rip their hands off.

Hey Hun. I haven't been on here in ages. Just read your diary. OMG the tiredness in first tri and sometimes in second tri feels like jetlag. I went about 6 weeks where I fell into bed after work at 6 or 7 every night. Had to cancel social stuff and it was tough as no one knew I was pregnant lol.

But energy is much better now. I'm in my 17th week.

You're right about the whole pregancy advice thing lol. I just smile at it. At the end of the day it's up To us how we go about our pregnancy. It doesn't bother me too much. It's bizarre people patting my bump tho!!!!!! I would never do that to anyone. I've even had male colleagues touch my bump !!!! Odd!

Glad your scans have been good. My next one is 7th jan. 2 weeks away. I can't wait to see my little one again. Might get a private scan between next scan and end of pregnancy. I can't go that long not seeing lo.

Sending hugs. Hope you're feeling good at the moment.

Xxxxxxx

Baby Boy: Guess the Sex of Your Baby - iVillage

It's a boy if:
  • You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy.
  • Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute.
  • You are carrying the extra weight out front.
  • Your belly looks like a basketball.
  • Your areolas have darkened considerably.
  • You are carrying low.
  • You are craving salty or sour foods.
  • You are craving protein -- meats and cheese.
  • Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy.
  • The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy.
  • Your hands are very dry.
  • Your pillow faces north when you sleep.
  • Dad-to-be is gaining weight right along with you.
  • Pregnancy has you looking better than ever.
  • Your urine is bright yellow in color.
  • Your nose is spreading.
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles.
  • You are having headaches.
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number.

It's a girl if:

• You had morning sickness early in pregnancy.
  • Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute.
  • You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear.
  • Your left breast is larger than your right breast.
  • Your hair develops red highlights.
  • You are carrying high.
  • Your belly looks like a watermelon.
  • You are craving sweets.
  • You are craving fruit.
  • You crave orange juice.
  • You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy.
  • You are moodier than usual during pregnancy.
  • Your face breaks out more than usual.
  • You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread.
  • Your breasts have really blossomed!
  • Your pillow faces south when you sleep.
  • Your urine is a dull yellow color.
  • You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves from side
  • You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number.

Scores at the doors

Boys 5
Girls 6

Anyone else?

Oooh that's interesting, I got:
Boys x 6
Girls x 3

Although I'll do it again later, when I start showing and have heard the heartbeat...
Plus the morning sickness answer could change as I'm still early on... nothing yet though, which is making me quite paranoid at the moment, I think I'm going through a worrying stage at the mo :(

Sarah I was the same, worried I wasn't being sick especially when you hear people saying "Oh I was horrendously sick, but midwife said it was good as meant all the right hormones were being released" which made me panic I wasn't releasing the right hormones. Baby is grand!

Enjoy it and long may it continue. The worst I had was a nauseated hungover feeling about 7- :7:30 at night didnt last more than a hour.

I o get the scunner at big portions though, so will make dinner and a few bites in discover I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I just have leftovers later!

Then in addition to the worrying I was panicking that:

1) I have PCOS - so was terrified it was going to end in M/C
2) I had left sided pain - was terrified it was ectopic (was trapped wind)
3) having crazy dreams I would M/C - convinved these were "prophetic"
4) any additional "moisture down there" left me convinved it was blood so would run to nearest toilet to check - totally normal to have increased secretions
5) I hardly had any symptoms apart from tiredness, slight nausea and sore boobs. When these cleared up I was convinced something was wrong

And even though I've seen baby 3 TIMES on ultrasound still doesnt feel real

Just relax, its natural to worry a little but you dont want to tie yourself in knots.

So off to Debenhams for bra fitting today and have went up 3 cup sizes already. Boobs are HUGE. Which at 16 weeks is a tad worrying

Went from a 36F in a wire to a 36 H in a non-wired. Woman fitting me said I actually need a 34 in the back, which suprised me, maybe my upper back has lost weight? Or its all succumbed to gravity and ran to my hips. Lol.

Also found my first prenancy food aversion. Had a mushroom in tempura batter at dinner and was almost sick :(

Went to midwife this morning for standard AFP test, urine test and Blood pressure check. They were a bit worried as my blood pressure was very low, which for me is unusual but explains the dizziness over the past week. I feel fine apart from dizzy if I stand up too quickly or climb the stairs to the flat too quick, I had just put it down to some orthostatic hypotetnsion and thought nothing of it. They had a horrendous time trying to get blood as my veins kept collapsing due to low BP. :( I wasn't worried, but they were beginning to feel guilty.

So they'll keep an eye on it but I've to phone them if it gets worse symptoms wise.

See them again in 4 weeks after my anomaly scan.

Well I appear to have morning sickness for the past 3 mornings. Seriously, karma has to be having a laugh - NOTHING for weeks, even in the early stage and the past 3 mornings been fighting to keep brekkie down.

Its either a bug or a temp blip.

well 18 week weight check and I've put on 2lbs.

Got hospital appt tomorrow early doors so I will update then.

Just been for 20 week anomaly scan and baby is absolutely brilliant! Wriggling, kicking and boxing away. Measuements all dandy and everything where it should be.

We also found out the sex of the baby, but keeping it a secret until baby is born so grandparents get a nice wee suprise.

aw lovely lexie - it's amazing how much they have changed from 12 to 20 weeks isn't it?

Astounding, amazing, brilliant, breathtaking. All of it

Today was quite worrying. Baby hadnt moved since Thursday night.

I tried everything I knew of, hot drink, cold drink, caffeinated drink, sugary drink, headphones against bump, bath jiggling the bump and going for a lie down. Nothing.

Phone midwife - shut. Phones Maternity unit who told me to "come in straight away but drive safely"which sent me into a bit of a tailspin.

Get there and couldnt find heartbeat - at which point I was bricking it.

Finally found a heartbeat - baby has moved right up high inside hence why wasn't where they should be.

Finally all is well and that's us home at 2am.

I feel like a pure muppet for being worried now,

Sorry to hear of your scare. Don't feel daft. You'd be hating yourself if you'd done nothing and the worse happened. We've all sat there at times thinking when did I last feel a movement and panicking after a few hours. I got close to going into hospital 2-3 times but a lot of sweet food got him moving eventually.

Main thing is your baby is fine :)

So, the birth story.

On Saturdayt 9th July I woke up feeling a bit iffy, tired but by 5pm hadn't felt any baby movement. Phoned maternity assessment and they said to come in.

They stuck me on a monitor and said that baby was moving normally, with a sleep pattern but they were concerned I couldn't feel it. At this point I burst into tears crying that something was going to go wrong, I could just tell, something's not right I don't care what monitor said somethings wrong.

Midwife said they would keep me in overnight, possibly scan me on the Sunday but that I was obviously distressed and was listeing to my "sixth sense" which at the time I took as a platitude to reassure me.

So at 2:45am, they were bringning another patient into the ward, I woke up went to loo, cam eback to bed. Had just settled down when felt baby hiccups and thought "That's good, means I should get home tomorrow" when I felt a huge cramp and then heard and felt a pop. Felt between my legs trying to work out if I had broken my waters or peed myself when I saw it was blood.

Still calm by this point, rang the buzzer and wee auxillary came in, I said I have some blood here she went away to get a midwife and came back. Midwife ordered me back into bed and popped pads underneath me, and said the would transfer me to labour ward.

I explained I needed the toilet, bowels felt loose, they told me I could go but to leave door open, unlocked. I then got myself into a state because I was bleeding allover the floor and toilet and crying because I couldn't clean it up.

So at 2:55am we're barrelling down the corridor in a bed to labour ward. I phoned husband and explained calmly I was being transferred to labour ward, to make his way in safely (no rush), walk the dog first and remember his juice and sweeties. This had the midwife lol'ing as she found it funny.

Get to labour ward contractions kicked in straight away 5-6 every 10 minute period. And they were fine, I was breathing through them with some gas an air as an extra. Husband doesn't show up until 4am as he took me at my word and went for a shower and cup of tea.

Then the pain hit. It felt like I was trapped in a vice with the contractions rolling in on top of it. Apparently this was complicated by the fact that I'd had no warm up time with the milder contractions. The vice like pain is explained later.

At this point, due to the bleed I was in a fetal monitor so not allowed to use the pool. I did briefly get onto a birthing ball but was ordered back to bed as fetal monitor kept losing it's trace.

Baby was in distress.

I ended up on oxygen to try and get him more oxygen through. They attached the monitor to his scalp in utero to get a better reading and he was still experiencing periods of distress intermittently.

So I got put on a syntocin drip to make my contractions come faster. At this point the contractions were bearable still but the vice like pain was getting worse to the extent I was basically told to take an epidural for pain relief. I wasn't screaming or anything but apparently it was distressing to watch and was told it's not realistic to go through that amount of pain for hours.

Got epidural - oh sweet lord the relief.

Baby still in periods of distress but they monitoring him closely with scalp blood samples.

Couple of hours later and he goes into a distressed phase again, Dr is summoned and checks me over. I start to spike a temp, my heart rate is up to 130bpm and Dr makes decision that if I'm fully dilated its time to push and get baby out, if not it's time for an emergency C section.

At this point I don't care, I just want baby safe and out. I tell him to do whatever needs to be done, cut me in half I just don't care. Husband says he's never seen me so terrified and I'm bawling because baby is getting quite distressed.

I'm fully dilated, and after 3 huge pushes and a forceps assistance baby is out and he's okay. I however had no time to 'stretch' and ended up with double layer of stiches and a rather large episiotomy to boot.

End up he's here and I'm here and we're both fine. The contractions were bearable and not the horrendous thing I expected.

When they delivered the placenta and examined it, turns out that the bleed and vice like pain were due to a placental abruption, at least a partial one, as placenta was all clots. I lost a pint and a half of blood due to this and it explains why baby was in distress during labour.

So there you go that's my birth story.

Would I do it all again? Yes, it's not that I've 'forgotten' the pain, more that it's worth it and not that unbearable.

That's so scary sweetie, glad everything worked out ok and both you and the gorgeous little man are ok. Hugs Crystal xx

Back