Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

@craftermary is the tv programme on Iplayer BBC? It sounds interesting.

Also do you follow a paleo eating type plan? I'm only asking because of your profile pic lol

How are you Sam? What do you teach?

Morning Sam,

Hope your back on it and work not too stressful for you.:)

I'm back on it as much as possible, little one has increased his feeds recently so maybe that will help get the train moving again!! I teach law @SarahMP at a level age :)

Good Morning Sam!

You sound like you are a really good teacher from how you are in your vlogs! I struggled very much with some of my teachers when I was doing my A Levels!
Hope that all is ok!!! Well done on the maintain btw, I'm sure you'll have a fab week this week :)

Ruth
X

Yes you can 100% tell your a teacher in you vlogs. I also struggled with a level teachers. I had one really devoted teacher and he made lessons really interesting. I got a C on one module and was really annoyed. He got my paper back and told me what I did wrong. The information was there but I worded wrong. He went through it all with me. I retook and got full marks.
But I also took further math, I was the only female and the teacher would make women driver jokes. Could never answer my questions. Then I got top score on a module and he said to me 'women aren't supposed to be good at math' and he actually said once 'you'll need to know this when you open your hair salon'
I should have complained but it's not something I'd do at 16. Anyway I taught myself and got double A. Most the class failed or gave up.

And what do goats smell like? I'm imagining farm s*** lol

Do you like breastfeeding? I did it for 6 months and can honestly say I hated it.
It annoys me how the media have turned it into this big campaigns, shaming women for formula feeding and praising women for getting their boobs out in public. Women have been doing it for years, it's 100% natural and suddenly it seems to be a big issue.

@Trefoil @SarahMP I love teaching and without blowing my own trumpet I always have a good relationship with my students and consider myself approachable and willing to work with them. When I went on maternity leave they were concerned that my replacement wouldn't have "bants" as they phrase it haha. I'm not the best by a long way im sure but having them onside is a massive inroad!

I don't have any major thoughts on breastfeeding, politically speaking, I just kind of did it, could do it, it was free and it helped weightloss. I don't mind doing it but nor do I love it. I agree that the breastfeeding mafia (my doctors own description) really vilify formula feeding and the way I see it is that as long as you give your baby the right nutrition who is to tell you the source???

Oh and that teacher of yours @SarahMP ?

Disgrace. But then cut from the same mould as those who say no woman can drive! Like having balls makes you more competent behind the wheel or something.

If anything it is probably the opposite, I imagine they chafe when changing gear....

I laughed out loud at the goat stuff- it so does!
I had butter once that was made from goats milk- it was like really mild goats cheese. Not great with beans on toast :rolleyes:
I agree re the breastfeeding brigade- I think if you can, and it works for you then great. But if you can't or your baby doesn't take to it, why does it matter if you go for formula? As long as they are nourished that's all that should count.
I found it a bit :eek: when I saw at the bottom of the Aptamil advert 'Breastfeeding is best for your baby'. Didn't think that attitude was still around. No kids of my own yet but will do whatever is right for all.
Phew rant over ;)

I think it's some kind of requirement that they state that. Nestle were involved in a scandal years ago in the 3rd world relating to formula milk. I've always wondered if that's why they all say that now

Yes goats milk does taste/smell like goats. I haven't tried sheep's yet so don't know. I will go and get some tomorrow and report back.:)

The breast brigade are actually 'everything brigade'
A lady I was chatting to last week at playgroup makes all organic, grass fed meat, free range everything for her child, which is fine, I'm not judging. Her face of disgust when on the way out I pulled out a rice crispy cereal bar for my daughter haha! My daughter eats what we eat. Simple as that. Perhaps better tastier full fat yogurt. I sneak one from time to time :)

I just watched the Bbc healthy eating thing. Really really interesting. It even mentions jumbo oats.
The food industry completely cons us doesn't it. Thanks @craftermary im feeling educated.

I didn't understand the multivitamins being useless though. Surely evidence behind multivitamins must show they have benefits.

Last edited:
Omg what did they say about my oats??

Omg what did they say about my oats??
Just what you said. That the the bigger the oat the longer it takes to digest. If they are milled/powdered/blended etc that the work has already been done, they are digested quicker. They did scans of people's stomachs to see how long it stayed full etc,

Phew I thought I'd been mugged off by the BBC haha :)

The breast brigade are actually 'everything brigade'
A lady I was chatting to last week at playgroup makes all organic, grass fed meat, free range everything for her child, which is fine, I'm not judging. Her face of disgust when on the way out I pulled out a rice crispy cereal bar for my daughter haha! My daughter eats what we eat. Simple as that. Perhaps better tastier full fat yogurt. I sneak one from time to time :)

Haha I bought the Annabel Karmel books with you daughter. Full of good intentions see. Swiftly came to the realisation that no one with a job/life/sense of normality A had the time and B had the stupid amount of equipment apparently needed to follow the happy clappy puréed recipes. I special mini blender for baby food...blimey. Yes and THATS not a marketing ploy!

we ended up with a lot of Ella's kitchen pouches....

I think a lot of these vitamins pills etc is a con. People read they are good for you and just take them. If you eat a balanced diet then you do get all your vitamins etc from food unless you have a health problem where you don't absorb enough.

We just did baby led weaning, so skipped the purée completely. I did make her salmon fishcakes once and they had all sorts in them. Her 9 month self didn't appreciate the hard work and they went on the floor. She much prefers some salmon chunks, mash potato and carrots.

I am always shocked how mothers of babies get out the house with gorgeous makeup, hair and clothes. If i even pull out a mascara my daughter is attached to my leg wanting to be picked up.

I think a lot of these vitamins pills etc is a con. People read they are good for you and just take them. If you eat a balanced diet then you do get all your vitamins etc from food unless you have a health problem where you don't absorb enough.
It must work for some vitamins though. Like they go on and on about folic acid during pregnancy. I got given free vitamins at my midwife appointments.

I was useless with my folic acid and he is perfect. I read that folic acid can contribute to nausea and actually the chances of it making a difference is so low that it's borderline irrelevant. I agree with Mary, eat well and you should cover most if not all bases. We managed without manufactured vitamins for many more years than they have been around. A downturn in the quality of eating necessitates the help for some maybe over the years but generally we are all getting what we need unless we develop a condition that says otherwise!! Rickets anyone? :)

Back