Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Pickled Eggs!!

Alas not a real swim. It was an excessive precipitation joke. :(

Palazzo pants are curvy girls bestest summer friend along with linens. Basically lightweight wide legged trews often with a nice jazzy print. I have some nice blue ones from tesco :) :)

Aah crumbs, sorry I feel a bit of a narna now!

Oooo I will have to buy some! It's not often I wear trousers but I will need to try them! Love jazzy bits and bats! Thanks for the tip!

Hope you're having a lovely evening!!!

Ruth
X

I love picked eggs with crisps. :)

Will do some during the week but as it's only me that eat them I'll only do 12.

Pickled onions next.;) Peeling the onions will keep you so busy you won't think about eating.:)

I'm really tempted to give the pickled eggs a go but at the ripe age of 25 I have never tried one and am worried I won't like it!
My little chicken dippers are having a laying marathon at the moment so tempted to bite the bullet.
How's it going getting back on it Sam?

Ripe old age of 25!!!!!!!!!

Also they're well nice :D

From another 25 year old

Ruth
X

Rosie you have chickens?? I'm so jealous. I want an eglu! And yes try them. You could buy a jar at the supermarket and just try them first? Less waste that way. Plus if you do like them then your own will taste so much better. Particularly as they are home laid eggs!! Nom nom.

Mary...the C word! No, no the OTHER c word. Crisps. DD has discovered these cheesy walkers mix ups which is a blend of Doritos, cheese monster munch and wotsits. I loves me a wotsit.

Feeling much better thanks Ruth. I have managed two days of goodness and can already feel the difference. It's amazing really. In how short a time you get the buzz back.

@Little B I sympathise with the rugby players legs thing. I'm right there with you! It's a pain for boots that are anything other than "under trouser" boots too!!!! Boo!

Thanks :) that's exactly how I'm taking it :) got to be in for the long haul but the long haul is scary :)

Tomorrow is day three

I naughtily jumped on the scales earlier (ie pre midnight) and must have lost some water because they are looking healthy. Well, healthier. Well, the number looks smaller. Bonus

I do! I have three lovely girls.
Well mostly lovely, in the summer they're frankly a pain in the backside squarking at dawn to play out :-/
I have a pretty standard wooden coop and run (it was a freebie!) but I imagine the eglu is easier to clean! They always look a bit small to me but I haven't yet seen one in the flesh.
But yes they lay delicious eggs in return- you should get some, they can keep your pickled egg stocks up ;-) I'm gonna do it- will grab some vinegar from morrisons and maybe just try it with half a dozen as an experiment.
I generally like pickled/pickled things so sure I will be fine!

I'm really jealous. My garden is just too small and we have two dogs. If we had a larger garden and I could dedicate some space I would definitely have some, no questions. Them and a parrot. Although the parrot is more of an indoor pet.

Last edited:
And you can't eat the eggs

Lol I have two parrots too- they are noisy beggars as well! And no- definitely wouldn't bother with the eggs. One laid on once, it was so tiny and cute!
I think for chickens, space is one thing you do actually need. Not masses of it (my garden isn't huge) but enough so they have something to keep them occupied and interested, otherwise they can start turning on each other which isn't pleasant. Brutal little dinosaurs!
The dogs wouldn't put me off though (depending on the dog obvs). I know a few who's dogs actually do a great job of protecting the chickens.
Any plans this weekend?

We had DDs school fair today. I avoided the cake stall and the BBQ. Woohoo!!! No real plans Rosie as the rain is still torrential at times. Boo! How about you??

The fair was indoors in the end. We have chihuahuas so although they don't take up much room they can be a bit.....over excitable. Not yappy at all. In fact they would be useless guard dogs but I could see them wanting to play with the chickens and losing an eye or something!!!

Mary could you not get really small fish? Or pop a tin of sardines in there, tell the OH you got some fish for the pond and see his reaction. I did that once with a leek in my aunts new bathroom. I'll leave the unfolding to your imagination.

Thanks :) that's exactly how I'm taking it :) got to be in for the long haul but the long haul is scary :)

Tomorrow is day three

I naughtily jumped on the scales earlier (ie pre midnight) and must have lost some water because they are looking healthy. Well, healthier. Well, the number looks smaller. Bonus

That's encouraging Sam. I'm in for long-haul too. Have eased up on the stressing myself out bit and weighing incessantly (I'm a bit naughty with that one too!). I'm 10 days away from hols and all clothes fit and look very good so that was my real immediate goal. The scale will catch up (sometime!!) I would like to be at target (~25lbs) by year end at least and that seems totally reasonable.

Wishing you best of luck for days 4, 5, and beyond!

We had DDs school fair today. I avoided the cake stall and the BBQ. Woohoo!!! No real plans Rosie as the rain is still torrential at times. Boo! How about you??

The fair was indoors in the end. We have chihuahuas so although they don't take up much room they can be a bit.....over excitable. Not yappy at all. In fact they would be useless guard dogs but I could see them wanting to play with the chickens and losing an eye or something!!!

Mary could you not get really small fish? Or pop a tin of sardines in there, tell the OH you got some fish for the pond and see his reaction. I did that once with a leek in my aunts new bathroom. I'll leave the unfolding to your imagination.

That last paragraph totally had me last night. I laughed for ages. :D

Glad that you managed to avoid the cake stall and bbq, you certainly sound happier and more focused with all of your free time that you have now! Bless your chihuahuas!

Enjoy your Sunday- will it be a lazy one?

Ruth
X

I am still giggling at the leek :p they can be formidable so I would probably be more concerned about the dogs than the chickens! One of mine is such a menace. She is the 'protector' and has so far come to blows with magpies, a sparrowhawk, numerous cats and most recently a fox :eek: I don't know how she's still going, but she lives to fight another day (and hopefully lay me lots of lovely eggs).
We had a street party yesterday for the Queen's birthday- it absolutely poured! Thunderstorms and everything, but we still had fun!
Out for a meal today for OH's birthday- I've had a bad weekend of slimming world.
You do sound focused Sam- fingers crossed it pays off for you!

Sounds like a good weekend despite the rain though! Popping into town today for my new watch. I'm eager to see if it helps keep me on this new track. I'm seeing recent plateau etc as 2 stone off. Take a break. Next two stone. Not an unhealthy view I suppose! Probably a lazy afternoon I think Ruth although apparently if you sit still for too long your watch "pokes" you. Sounds fun ;)

Hope everyone has a gorgeous Sunday xx

Well I have to say I love my new watch. It nudges me and sets me movement goals which is really good. I'm pretty pleased with it. Although I want a leather strap! Oh and it also tells me when someone leaves Jeremy corbyns cabinet due to sky news alerts. Bonus.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Back