Lippy stops philosophising and starts dieting

lippy66

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL and I hope that everyone reaches goal in 2009.
I am starting this diary to track my own progress in reducing weight and in finding a way to stabilise at a weight which is healthy for my height. Above all I want to put an end to the yo-yo dieting which has been a feature of my life and consumed far too much of my time since my late teens.
In the past I have been a very "successful" dieter and remained slim throughout my twenties, thirties and forties using rigid control of my food intake. It was only when I hit my fifties that I began to find it difficult. However I continued the same old yo-yo pattern. My weight was never stable - it was always going up or coming down - and the average weight crept up by 2-3 stone. My hour glass shape changed to the dreaded large round apple.
Since 27th November, exactly 4 weeks before Christmas, I have been following Weight Watchers. I reckoned if I lost a few pounds beforehand it would cancel out any excess gained over the festive season. I lost 2lb in the first few days and was happy with that. Then fate decided to take a hand and I was hit really hard with a winter vomiting bug. Best not to go into details,suffice to say I have lost 9lbs and for the first time in years I have also lost my appetite and some of my sense of taste.
My partner who is working in the Middle East has been home for 4 weeks going back on 12th January. He hates slimming diets, low-fat food and small portions. He loves dining out and entertaining. So for the past few weeks I have been exposed to great company, lots of lovely meals and an abundance of food everywhere . Without any effort on my part I have kept to a modest intake of mostly healthy food. Part of me is delighted with the loss of 9lbs but another part wonders why it isn't more. This is in spite of the fact that I want to lose sensibly and I know this means slowly.
I won't be able to enrol formally in a Weight Watchers group until the week after next but will keep to a daily 20 points allowance in the meantime. I am expecting that the rate of loss will slow down but if I lose an average of approx. 1lb a week I should achieve my target around July/August. Time will tell.

Welcome to minimins,wishing you all the best of luck for 2009 x

Welcome and good luck. There will be a few of us here reaching goal in 2009. I am sure you can too! Goodluck!

Hi
I am new here- can anyone tell me who are the pink ladies? Is it a team?
I haven't worked out how to start a diet diary yet but am happy to browse just now and hope that's ok if I post now & then?
Sue

hi and welcome to ww and minimins.

yes, the pink ladies are a team - there is a separate team challenge section at the top of the page.

if you want to start a diary, you just need to click on "new thread"

Thanks everyone for the welcome and good wishes.
Feeling a bit deflated to-day - probably just a reaction to all the festivities in recent weeks .Plus although I plan to lose weight slowly and sensibly and then slip seamlessly into lifetime maintenance I am finding my results to date disappointing.A month ago I got a bad case of the winter vomiting bug and since then I have had a poor appetite. Last night it struck again.
Very unpleasant but every cloud has a silver lining I thought and my weight is bound to move downwards. No it didn't - I am still 12stone 7.75lbs , exactly the same as it has been for the past 4 days. How is this mathematically possible?:( It seems unfair when I think of how good I been when everyone around me has tucked into loads of delicious food and drink. It doesn't bode well for when my appetite returns.
Enough moaning, I know a lot of peeps are struggling at this time of year and often against greater odds than I am facing.
My partner is returning to the Middle East in a few days and I am dreading the separation. I won't be able to join him for a holiday any time soon. I work freelance mostly in the Finance Sector and in the present climate can't afford to let any opportunities escape. Also one of my dogs is elderly and suffering all kinds of ailments including dementia so I don't want to leave her with anyone.
I'm resolved to enjoy my last few days with Brian and since he is anti-dieting it will probably be easier to follow WW without his (well-meaning) disapproval
L

Thanks Little-Rotund-One
Love your name but methinks it isn't appropriate any longer as you are only a hairbreadth away from target. In the event I get to goal I will still be lippy! I have been reading a few threads here to-night and am feeling more positive now - so many inspiring success stories, including yours. You have done really well and should be proud of yourself.

Hi and welcome Lippy - for encouragement and motivation you've found the right place. We'll be here for you every step of the way. If you need help just shout! x

Thanks Jax
That's really kind.You've done well on WW so you're yet another inspirational role model on this forum.Lets hope 2009 is our year!

Thanks Starlight and Anna B
Yes this is a lovely forum. So far I am staying on the straight and narrow, greatly helped by my recurring stomach bug.
To-day we heard the sad news that a good friend of ours had died suddenly. The cause of death was a heart attack but the doctors believe it was mainly due to smoking. She was a lovely intelligent woman who knew all the risks but continued to smoke despite deteriorating health and the appeals from family and friends.
This has set me thinking about why people ignore all the evidence about the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle. It applies to overweight people as much as to heavy smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts.I think if weight is the problem then one is lucky because it is so much easier to deal with than these other addictions. For myself therefore I am going to concentrate on getting healthy as opposed to becoming slimmer, looking better and wearing smaller clothes.I hope this helps the motivation.

Thank Lippy - my dad always used to call me his "little-rotund-one" since I was a little kid...and its kind of stuck through all of my ups and downs in weight - so for posterity, it needs to stay as LRO - although I could make it mean Less Rotund One now (LOL)

Hi Lippy, that's so sad about your friend. Hope your doing well. Take care x

Thanks Jax
Yes , we're still shocked and sad to-day. It has made me take a more balanced view of dieting.I am feeling positive on that front -remarkedly so for some one who lost half a pound yesterday and put on a quarter this morning! I got out my old WW books.I have reached goal twice in the past, the last time in mid-2006 when it took me 15 months to go from 13stone 4lbs to 10stone6lbs. The pace was slow, slow, stop,slow,stop,slow, stop aso and I expect it'll be the same this time.
Anyway,slowly does it.We have to get through the funeral and then my partner returns to work in the Middle East at the beginning of next week.
I will start going to WW meetings next Tues. but I think most of my inspiration/support/information will come from this forum.
Hope you're going strong

Back