Londoners, help needed!!

Guenevere

Getting married July 2011
Hey Guys,
I'm planning my next years summer holiday, and I definitly want to visit London, I've been trying to get there for years, and next year when I'm slim I'm definitly going to go, probably late July.

I'll be going with my bf, and I was wondering is Cromwell Rd in Kensington an ok place to stay???? We want to be around nice restaurants, and cafes, and near the Underground, but we're light drinkers, and quite quiet. I was planning on staying in the Astor Kensington Hostel.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Guen

oooh i'm jealous -of the trip and the weight loss lol.

I've no help I'm afraid but just wanted tosay that lol :D

I have lived in London all my life. Kensington is the posh part of the city and definately the most expensive. As safe as anywhere I suppose but personally I think it lacks character. I would recommend The Strand or Leicester Square area.

Places to see ;
1] For a good day and night out Camden Town and Camden market, trendy and full of students but fun.
2] Covent Garden, again trendy and full of life, you could even get accommadation there, it's more central to the Buzz side of London, walking distance from most of the attractions.
3] Tate modern
4] London Eye
5] The Archway tavern in Archway on a sunday afternoon is an amazing place if you like traditional Irish fiddle music and you are not afraid to drink about 10 pints of guinness. Sober, I wouldn't recommend it, drunk it's one of the best place in London.

Spitalfields at London Liverpool street is quite a nice bunch of markets and food things. South Kensington tube has a mass of free museums. The science museum is fun and usually full of kids....but the Victoria and Albert V & A is lovely. All these are free to go to although they like a little donation.
Leicester Square is quite cool as well. There are handprints of famous people around the square and some little ice cream parlours and things. Also its where you can get some quite cheap theatre tickets.

Taz x

I would stay (infact my in-laws have stayed) here: Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel a few good restaurants around, more in Belsize Park and Hampstead, about a 10 minute walk away, and Swiss Cottage is on the Jubilee line, direct to Bond Street and Green Park. I think staying right in town is too expensive and noisey, but that is just me ;) Have fun!!!

I like to stay at the county hall travel inn right by waterloo and the london eye and river £119 for the room not each a night can walk along the river over westminster bridge, past houses of parliament and up via horseguards to st james park and buckingham palace...walking distance to covent garden too. Couple of nice places to eat along the river too. laterooms.com also has great offers

Back