loose woman- Clothes sizes

i have found next very flattering but then it depends what i buy. Any thing from any where with tight or cuffed short sleeves is a no no (bingo wings). :D fitted blouses not good by the time they go over the boobs they look bad every where else! :rolleyes: i found evans depressing, according to them i am 4 sizes bigger than any where else!!:( i read some time ago (cant remember where) that some shops do the opposite to"vanity sizing" it was about exclusive high end designers/boutiques that didn't stock anything bigger than a 10 and their 10 was more of an 8, it was a few years ago but it was the designer/owner's reply that stuck in my head,apparently bigger woman aren't interested in fashion and she didn't want her clothes to be associated with that look!!!! :eek: amusing as the designer in questions looks like a drag queens slapped arse :p

Yes stores most definitely do 'vanity' and also 'exclusion' sizing!

When I worked at Warehouse I weighed 9 1/2 stones and had to wear a size 14 - and was made to feel huge by the other girls :( they didn't even stock size 16 back then "this isn't a shop for fat girls" I remember the store manager saying!

I remember buying my mum an outfit from Wallis for her birthday (as they are the same group so I could get staff discount) in a size 14 and trying it on in a size 10 and have it fit me! Mum said she liked shopping there as they were "generous and flattering" in their cut!

It astounds me that looking back I actually thought I was fat when really I had a wicked figure ;) here's to getting it back :D

what a great thread!

I think that material the clothes are made with has the biggest impact. For example - Leggings, you can probably get a size smaller than your 'standard' size as they stretch to your shape. Also jeans with a lycra content are going to be more forgiving than a cotton shirt or fitted trousers! It does range dramatically from shop to shop!

I have a large range of sizes, and with designer brands and styles its often hard to work out what a M or a L, or a 3 or a 4 is - and i have to go with what 'fits' rather than what the label states!

We need to be happy MM-ers - cos whatever the size is now, its not the same as when we started on SW (i presume!!) - which is SO much more important to focus on!

I did my dissertation on the lack of standardisation in women's clothing sizes and it is unbelievable how much they can differ! Literally, a waist size 14 in one shop can be 3 inches smaller to a waist size 14 in another shop ! Absolutely crazy! There are arguments for and against womens' current clothing measurements with the positives being that women can shop around and find a clothing line that fits for them and that women come in all different shapes and sizes and there needs to be a variety of clothing available to choose from.

There was actually a standardisation table brought in in 1982 but most desigers chose not to follow it http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/towerhamlets/size.htm

I personally believe that standardisation is required in the fashion industry otherwise a number sewn into a garment is meaningless - women waste time and money buying clothes on the internet having no real idea whether they are going to fit or not! When I go shopping I take the same item into the fitting room in a 10 and 12 and a 14…..and it really frustrates me!!

The sooner women's clothing measurements are brought in line with men's that better I say!

This is so true, but I'm lucky I think alot depends on body shape as I can go anywhere except primark, h & m and some republic stuff and a 16 fits perfectly in bottoms, but I am a 14 top except blouses as they never fit my boobs

I don't know if standardisation will work because the majority of women like to be flattered! My sister-in-law-to-be (its because of her upcoming wedding to my brother that I started dieting in the first place!) claimed to be wearing size 18 jeans - they were from Evans - I was wearing size 18 jeans from Tesco - now there was no way my jeans could fit her and her jeans when I tried them on just fell off me and were clearly 2 sizes bigger than what the label said - but hey if it makes people happy and everyone gets to wear fashionable clothing - who am I to criticise!!

Back