Lost 4lbs in a year!!!!!!!!

!! No but lucky girl you got away with an STS and you've a good 6 days to do really well - success express looks like it's working for you good and proper :)
I love Halloumi straight after it's pan fried. Find it amazing that it can taste of washing up liquid raw and tranform into oozy deliciousness on contact with heat :drool:

I've had a goodish day - had bellyache last night from too much rice and pitta - yes double carbs .. double the fun! So today had a sandwich and yogurt for lunch and will have my fave Spinach & Ricotta pizza with salad for dinner. Totally expecting to have put a couple of lbs on as some of the past week has been total free for all. That's ok though as this week is back to basics.

I am scared to be on a bike too. & of swimming! But both marginally less so than driving and I just don't think being reliant on my feet is enough. I have very bad awareness on the roads - even as a car passenger, I'm constantly amazed at the ease and quick thinking my OH has as a driver - like it's inbuilt - everyone I've ever known who drives no matter how ditzy in normal life is great on the roads - it's just something I can't seem to do.

So I will learn hopefully and just go with my OH for rides in areas that are not so busy - we have really busy roads here and I'd be pretty scared to be out and about on them. I can't stand it when people bike up on the paths behind you like you as a pedestrian are in there way so I won't be doing that either. I'll see how I go - I might just go off the idea and ask for a sewing machine instead :)

How's your dad doing?

At school I had a horrible accident on a sewing machine. I was helping someone get her fabric unstuck and she accidentally put her foot on the pedal. I ended up trapped in the machine with the needle through my thumb! :ambulance:

Driving did not come naturally to me. It did to both my kids who both passed there tests really quickly but I really could not reverse and the more I thought about it the more I got confused. I failed my test twice trying to reverse around the same blinkin corner.

Swimming is the safest option in my opinion.
Went to yoga and I quite enjoyed it. Felt I needed it and felt better for going. Been feeling like this :raincloud: since talking to a very unhelpful social worker this afternoon.

Ouch! That's awful - is nothing safe?! :eek: Yet you make tutu's - do you handstitch them or just wear steel capped gloves whilst sewing :p

Swimming is no way the safest .... drowning .. smacking your head in the bottom of the pool ....being brave and trying to swim and end up sitting on the bottom of the pool having to be saved by your best friends mum[me aged 8] .....wearing your cossie the wrong way round and pulling it up every 10 seconds so your boobs are covered[me aged 11] - so see I'm still voting bikes!

What happened with your anger-inducing social-worker?

I phoned to ask if there was any help available for my Dad. I was thinking care call. Social worker was really unhelpful, didn't listen to what I was saying, kept going on about benefits and said it didn't matter if he (my dad) got a bit smelly. I ended up in tears. Worse than useless. Very sweary word starting with a B******

I've booked a week in Spain in June. It's all inclusive, never done that before but taking daughter and 1 gson so economic decision. Hotel right on the beach. Quiet resort, actually the first place I ever stayed in Spain a zillion years ago when it was really cheap and cheerful. Have got photos of me in half a bikini :censored:from that holiday. Those were the days.:sigh:

What an utter and total cow that s/w is .. "doesn't matter if he gets a bit smelly" wtf??? Where's her decency and human care? Shocking that people like her are working in the industry of caring and looking after vulnerable and sick people. Bloody beggars belief. :rant2:
I'm so sorry you've had to go through that kind of crap. Is there anything else that can be done? Maybe if you contacted Age Concern they could direct you to help in your area? I really hope your dad gets the help he deserves x

Fabulous that you've booked a holiday - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your family - location sounds absolutely perfect and should be hot but less touristy in June - go have an amazing time! You may not want to wear just half a bikini but I bet you'll totally rock that ruffle tankini you bought!
ps Are you saying by half a bikini ... you mean topless! Ooooooerr missus! :giggle::banana dancer:

Forgot to say I'm +2lb on WI. That's totally OK and deserved - I know I ate enought to deserve it so just back on track again so far. I did have a Muller rice but within cals - resisted chocolate digestives this morning ... they had 8% extra chocolate too!

+2lb isn't so bad after last weeks -5lb down. It's just so hard sometimes.
I've been alternating good days with bad days.:devilangel: As long as I keep trying I'll minimize the damage and get back on track at some point:fingerscrossed:

SW was a man. I was quite shocked that someone with such poor listening skills could be doing that job. He didn't seem to hear what I was saying at all but talked completely through his own agenda. I'm going to see someone from the Princess trust for carers on Fri. I'm really just looking for advice as to what I can do to help or arrange, because it's not his first fall.

There is no way on heaven and earth that the ruffled swimsuit will even look at me by June. I'm thinking topless, might clear the beach:rotflmao:make more room for my big bum.

June is a good time for Spain because it's hot enough, most things have opened and the staff having got totally sick of tourists yet. I've always liked the costa brava, a bit greener than other bits of Spain, and I love coves and rocks and boats and the like. Gson is obsessed with sea creatures so I might take him on a glass bottomed boat. Daughter wont go near one after the last time when she was captured on video by some Japanese tourists violently throwing up all over the glass bottom. It was like a comedy sketch, everyone just gasped then went silent. All you could hear was the video camera. She was about 12 at the time, must have been mortifying.

Basically it's a beach holiday with maybe a trip to Barcelona.

When are you off to Amsterdam ? Must be soon.

Sounds almost call centre-like in attitude, as though from a set script they bang out regardless of what you're actually saying. Hopefully you'll get more joy with the Princess trust - or at least a caring attitude. I used to be on the Age UK mailing list [I don't even know why!] and they've got some links - might be worth emailing them too?

Well if the ruffles won't fit - get yourself tankini shopping pronto! I got really bad neck ache last time so reckon I'd go underwire or try and lose some cup-size for this year. I wouldn't worry about the beach - I always find myself feeling self-conscious .. NOT due to fatness but because I seem to be the only person wearing a tankini! Literally EVERYONE abroad is in a bikini no matter how huge or saggy or whatever the shape - everyone looks fine with a tan! People just care less on holiday - I've been known to have my ham-hock upper arms out in the sun on hols but it's always a cardi on top in this country.

Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun too. Have you been to Barcelona before? I have with a girl friend but would love to go again with OH - completely different experience I think. There we got followed by a crazy man, propositioned by a 60+ yr old chinese man who was dressed up as a cat, I almost had my bag stolen, I got hit on the head with a bunch or rose by a man who was pestering my friend for having a go at him, she also got felt up on the train there - I stamped on his foot, I got elephant ankles after being bitten and we got lost every day we went out! But we had a good time and the Gaudi architecture and markets are amazing!

Your poor daughter - you never forget public mmortification!

Don't talk to me about Amsterdam ...we were supposed to have gone on the 9th. It's taken me about 3wks to get over the resentment over the fact I cancelled it :cry:

To cutt a long story short OH seemed to love it back when I gave it to him end of March, this was when the weather was seriously cold and rainy or snowy. He then got a bit stressed about it as he's been 4 times before with his mates and he was going on about how it'd be horrible being all cold and rainy out there and he'd rather I didn't waste money on it, and is there any way to cancel it ... :sigh: I was so deflated and shocked that I did - it made me so annoyed. Again long story short he really regretted his stupidity in cancelling it once he'd copped himself on, but by then it was cancelled and there's no way I'm going to book anything like that again.. That's what finally sent me falling off the SW wagon to - just lost motivation and felt upset.

All ok now - took a while mind - so new cooker it was instead!

Oh, how annoying. They say 'you can't live with them, you can't shoot them,' but as long as you get rid of the fingerprints it's fine.;)

Call centre is spot on.

I'm not particularily self conscious on the beach. Shorts is more of a problem. I don't want to wear jeans all the time but if you can imagine a beachball wearing shorts that's what I'll look like. My legs are fine it's the massive middle that makes them look stupid.

I've been to Barcelona a few times and it's a lovely city but I'm not sure it's the best thing to do with a 5 year old in tow, we'll play it by ear. A week isn't very long but we're right on the beach so I imagine we'll be there every day when we're not eating, drinking or shopping. I'm more of a tourist than daughter is. She's always working and just wants to flop and be cooked for.

I'm really looking forward to it as it's been a very long winter.

I hope Portugal is still on?

He's quite handy for DIY and lifts so I'll keep him on for a bit :p Yes Portugal's is definitely on ... I might risk a couple of days in Devon or Somerset [have you been - do you recommend] after the late May bank hol - just a day or two to get away and stay away.

I feel you on the jeans - sooo hot but I can't wear shorts either. My problem is more fat legs and big bum - middle bit not so bad. For me I wear linen/cotton mix wide legged trousers - flowy, cool and then accessorise with different cotton tops . As you've probably got good legs being an apple shape - could you do more summer dresses or knee length shorts with more empire line tops that skim the belly? Or cotton shirts that cover that too - no need to hide your hips and legs.
I'm thinking Sharon on Eastenders - she's got really a quite big tum and mannish top half but fab legs - she always looks good in tighter trousers or skirts with loose tops - I didn't even realise how big her stomach was until she wor an all in one tight dress which made her look like a sausage just waiting to burst out!

Who's got your shape on the telly? What do they wear and do they look good? Try finding something along those lines.

I unfortunately have got varicose veins, bruising and scarring from the ankles up. So although I wear dresses now with opaque tights, come the summer I'll wear trousers as I feel so self-conscious about them - only in my house are they exposed. I've also got a couple of petite maxi dresses for hols - need to develop more of a waistline by then so I don't look pregnant!

Whatcha having for dinner? I'm having risotto with bacon, peas and leeks ... and a Boost ...

Dinner was shepherds pie and carrots.

The thing is I've got lots of nice summery clothes I bought for Singapore a few years ago. Slimmed down for of course. But I still can't get my tummy into them. Pretty sure I was heavier then too!!! Different distribution of flab this time, quite strange. Must be middle age spread!!!

I've never been to Devon but I have been to Somerset. It was very sunny and I was young and in love so although I remember it as lovely??????? It probably is though.

At least you won't have to pay for flights.

I've been good diet wise for the last couple of days but going out for a meal with son on Saturday, maybe. He suggested Sat but doesn't know his OH has booked a babysitter and a slapup meal for Friday night, so it might change.

I love a boost me.

I'm going for my massage today at 4pm so hopefully will be all relaxed and chilled out this evening.

How was your massage? Hope you're feeling all blissed out :queen: . I've only ever had one good massage and that's because it was a sports/therapeutic one, I'm just too aware of bits of fat being squeezed to relax into it. OH bought me one for my birthday a couple of years ago - somewhere really lovely but I kept delaying going until I lost a bit of weight and in the end it expired so a real waste. I could do with a pedicure though - something hardcore for my horrible feet - one of those things I always promise myself and never do.

Strange the being a different shape - where where the extra pounds on your body last time? Oddly I feel thinner at this weight now than when I weighed this about 15 yrs ago. I think I used to have a smaller waist - I really hope it come back!!

I'm had a crap week with food - birthday cream cakes at work and just a sod it attitude. I'm annoyed with myself - I've really got to have a proper sort out of my head. Did you get like that during your time of dieting? You've lost well over 4 stone - was that all continuous little by little or did you just go through of wks where you just dropped it and just couldn't really do it. I don't want to be a failure. I'm pressurising myself to do better but failing to action it.

It's theraputic massage. Masseuse says I'm a wreck :sigh:. She spotted all my dodgey bits so I'm going back in 3 weeks for another round of torture. I feel more comfortable when it's medicinal rather than beauty therapy as I reckon they see all sorts of bodies in all kinds of states.

I've lost off my legs, bum and bust. Tummy is a bit smaller than it was but it is where I am carrying most of the weight. I'm not completely a different shape as I was round both times but there is a larger % sticking around my waist this time.

I lost the plot about a year in and started putting on again which I had to relose. I haven't found it a straight forward path at all. I don't personally believe that giving yourself a hard time works, it doesn't for me because I then want to eat cakes to comfort myself in response to the row I just gave myself.

I think drawing a line under it and recommiting works best for me. I do have to do it on a fairly regular basis but it keeps me going long term and is probably something I'll have to do for the rest of my life to maintain once I reach target. I've adopted the word optomising when talking to myself rather than dieting or maintaining. It just to me means generally TRYING to eat healthfully long term rather than just a short term diet that you are on or off. Short term diets may form part of my optimising and so might nights off/ week off. I'm maybe not explaining it very well but it works for me psychologically. I never fail I just keep trying to optimise which means drawing a line under it and recommiting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pep-talk :thankyou:- that really helped. I hear you on the recommiting and drawing a line. I spend too long in the beating yourself up phase and counting the rubbish days I've had rather than keep going.

Also good point about trying to eat healthily. I know I purposely haven't because I've ate too much at lunch, rather than drawing the line there, I'll come home and choose something unhealthy as "I might as well" . It's those kind of actions that are problematic, as it then becomes cylical and it's not fair on yourself to need to be perfect every day.

Have you a bad back then? Has something caused the issues? I hope the massages are helping you. When I was at the Ideal Home Show - they had every type of massage chair you could find .... rotating fingers, buzzing balls, noduled mat, vibrating chairs, hot rods ... I tried them all out on a rotating basis :D Even OH found them useful - though sadly he didn't pick up any tips. His idea of giving me a massage is vigorous rubbing until my back/shoulder goes numb or stopping as soon as I say "that's nice" or before it goes on for longer than 90 seconds. Rubbish!

One thing I did find pretty good is an infra-red lamp held over any painful muscles or joints. The one with a red light that gives of heat - sort of mlamp tortoises or lizards have in cages. It seems too penetrate the skin and go more into the tissue. Just a few minutes rotating it on a spot works well - I had forgotten about it and as I'm still getting some hand pain today from my arthritis - I'm gonna go hunt it out and see if it still does the job.

How's your foot coming along? Presumably still too tender for massages or the like? Hope all goes well tomorrow too withe the Princess trust regarding your dad - hope they can help :)

Hey girls - I love your thread and am a long time lurker. You really make me :giggle:lol. Your banter should be serialised. Seems you're both a bit like me - desperately trying everything bar consistency!
I hear you both on the emotional/beat yourself up things but I was talking to a serious trainer this week (he's a trainers trainer iykwim) and talking about eating he said to forgot about bad days and bad weeks. I need to eat mealtime to mealtime - not writing of all whole chunks of time just cos I'm going for a meal next Friday ... and if between breakfast and lunch I go wrong then I don't skip lunch, I face what I did - recommit and eat a proper lunch (this should leave me overfull so not then going to wreck the rest of the day), get to dinner time - recommit and eat a proper dinner.
It seems really simple but it sort of made sense, as I tend to go wrong slightly and turn it into a go wrong spectacularly. Eg. If I succumb to toast and jam in the morning, I'll have dessert or biscuits, more toast and ice cream before the day is out. So 3 starts a day gives me more opportunity to make the right decision.
Anyways, have a great day girls - the sun is shining and for the first time in 72 hours it's not raining, so I'm off to kettlebells and then a joggle around town (it's what you do when your ass is too big for jogging and sort of makes a rhythm of its own out of sync with the actual foot hitting pavement tempo - my boobs used to do this too but they have finally diminished and are strapped down in Penney's finest sports bra).

Hey Skinny One, you're back!

The trainers advice seems good. See you've outslimmed the suit and swapped it for the little black dress. Also noting the BMI is into the "normal" category. Well done.

Hey Skinny One, you're back!

The trainers advice seems good. See you've outslimmed the suit and swapped it for the little black dress. Also noting the BMI is into the "normal" category. Well done.

Why thank you v much for noticing. Oddly while I can fit into the 10 Dunnes dress I bought a long black dress in a 12 for a formal party thing I've got coming up next week and the zip wont make the last inch at the top :eek:. But what the flip, I'll wear something a bit more casual to heck with it.
I have found my ultimate goal purchase
GE-244 - Red and Black Brocade Pattern Overbust with Buckles
Not sure my upper arms will ever be ready for such exposure though. Some gorgeous things on the site though.

Back