Lost & Found... Map Gone AWOL!

Ohh, i am loving the positive vibe on your thread Katy! Really makes goals seem very much achievable....Yay for all of us! xx

lol both of you. I was like that yesterday and could have eaten the hinges too!
Thanks but I think madder:silly: rather than braver. Whatever path we choose we will all reach the finish line at some point:D

I hope so Miss JT, I hope so.....on here now because I am so hungry. Just drunk 3/4 pint of coffee (decaf, or I'd be climbing the curtains!) and had my final bar. Party time here tonight again....I just have to get used to this and not joining in with the food/wine/crisps etc. Still, not for long.....distraction, that's the thing....they are all doing the dishes.......

Bess, am very hungry too & cold, which doesn't help. Heating & hot water seems to have gone kaput, thank goodness we still have little woodburner... am muffled in blankets all the same. Scales were up today which has upset me, even though I know it doesn't mean anything... just demoralising. And finding it hard to stick to plan as it is.

Trying to remind myself why I am doing this, that it will be worth it, and that I am not the only mad person doing this. Aiming for a good 100% day to boost my morale and keep me positive. Didn't drink enough water yesterday, so will try to make sure I do today. I can do this.

xxx

No Sweetheart, it's only a gremlin tripping you up, that's all. Come on, you can make good choices for the rest of the day.....it's only a blip and just one won't make any difference you know. My scales have stayed the same for 3 days now which is 12.10, odd because 3 days ago it was 12.9? Hey ho, I dont know why but it doesn't matter because there is a downward trend that WILL continue for both of us. So forget that blip, it really doesn't matter. Big, big hugs. xxxxxxx

P.S. My mug holds 3/4 pint, not 1/2 as I thought. OH says that's over 1lb in weight because 8 pts = 10lbs. So you see, one drink of water/tea/whatever will then make us 1lb heavier on the scales, but it is just water, not fat, so that's good isn't it? xxxx

We are always wrapped in blankets when we are still, stoke up that log burner and make a herb tea, a bucketful, like me, you'll be fine, we all will.

Seen any snowdrop leaves yet? The spring birdies are singing here, poor little blighters......and on Monday it was very light at 4pm. :)

Hugs. Thanks for being so kind... so sensible. I know you're right. Trying to cheer myself up by singing Julie Andrews & White Stripes... dog is giving me very worried looks.

xxx

'Wild geese that fly, with the moon on their wings'.......!! xx

Can you hear me? We can do a duet!!

I can hear you!

Snowflakes that cling to my nose and eyelashes... silver white winters that melt into springs...

Spooky... Have just posted some Fave Things lyrics on Facebook and made myself smile... you are definitely psychic, Bess! Big hugs and thank-yous.

xxx

Morning Katy, oooh it's going to be a long one...was thinking about your posts from earlier and am just wanting to bang on about water for a bit if that's ok... I may be barking up the wrong tree and you or may not find any comfort in this i don't know... but just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.
ok...
i'm no scientist but here's what i can gather from reading about stuff...when we lose weight we empty our fat cells of fat..yay but they don't disappear and they fill up with water until they know they are no longer needed and then the water empties out...seeing as we've all lost lots of fat then wouldn't it make sense that we have a greater capacity for water gains?? and if we are even slightly dehydrated the first thing our bodies do is fill up those fat cells with water...? For example in my situation I am on year from shedding the fat from those cells but a couple of alcohol sessions over a couple of weeks and on Monday this week i was 6lbs up but i know its not fat because i haven't overeaten 21000 cals in the last few weeks (3500 cals per lb of fat x 6) so i know know know it's just water, therefore I know that i am still ok even though the scales say different as my clothes are the same i look the same as i did a few weeks ago and the only way I can live with the scales number is to constantly remind myself of the facts of this...it is water for me...it will always be water unless something goes drastically wrong with my eating resulting in my eating 21000 extra cals over and above my maintenance level...very hard to do i would think.
So...i don't know if this helps in anyway but daily weighing must be done with caution and a knowledge that you can handle what it says even if there's been a water gain overnight.

katy posts -
"Didn't drink enough water yesterday"
... and then it really sucks when the scales agree with you.... I know how it feels hun...i really hated seeing 10.6 on my scales but i was also ready for it too, i knew what the alcohol/salt does to me (i sound like a massive drinker but i'm not really this was 4 vodka's and salty bacon in the morning)
and then seeing the truth on the scales must not affect the rest of day...i wake up feeling good and look in the mirror and think yay me! stand on the scales and promise myself that whatever it says nothing has changed.
as Scarlett say "Tomorrow is another day"
and tomorrow they won't say that or the day after or maybe the day after but don't let it bum you out hunny please. You are brilliant and successful so don't let the scales rule your day.
...oh and drink more water!!!

Hope i haven't waffled on too much but I hate seeing you down and really hope i've said something sensible..

Have a great day
Big hugs

xx

Thanks Lelly. Yesterday was an unplanned day off... could not find the heart to get 'right back on it' no matter how hard I tried. Today scales up again, 11 9. That will teach me. I know it's carb-gain and will go as fast, but feel very stupid for what happened yesterday (best to draw a veil over the exact point where it all went wrong). It means I am back at the start, with little or nothing to show for all the good days. I need to stay on track properly, find that safe zone. I am trying.

xxx

This is very interesting Lelly. Can I ask you a bit more? (Sorry Katy :eek:)
.when we lose weight we empty our fat cells of fat..yay but they don't disappear and they fill up with water until they know they are no longer needed and then the water empties out...

How long does it take for fat cells to disappear for good then? More than a year from what you said next, but do you know how long it takes?

but i know its not fat because i haven't overeaten 21000 cals in the last few weeks (3500 cals per lb of fat x 6) so i know know know it's just water, therefore I know that i am still ok even though the scales say different as my clothes are the same i look the same as i did a few weeks ago and the only way I can live with the scales number is to constantly remind myself of the facts of this...it is water for me...it will always be water unless something goes drastically wrong with my eating resulting in my eating 21000 extra cals over and above my maintenance level...very hard to do i would think.

Yes, very hard and this is what puzzles me so. I put on around 8lbs over Christmas but I'm sure that I didn't /couldn't have eaten 28,000 calories over what I'd need to maintain. So am I right in thinking that some of this was water and if so, how do we get rid of it because it certainly hung around? (I certainly didn't look or feel the same as you say you did with a smaller weight gain.)
This leads me to be a bit confused about the 12lbs that have gone since I started CD again 12 days ago....how much will be fat and how much water? How does drinking water not fill up the fat cells and make us gain more? How does drinking water help us to lose the weight when dieting?

Sorry if this is a bit confused, but I think I must be too....

xxx

I know it's carb-gain and will go as fast, but feel very stupid for what happened yesterday (best to draw a veil over the exact point where it all went wrong). It means I am back at the start, with little or nothing to show for all the good days.
xxx

No, that can't be right. You said the carb gain will go quickly, so you'll be back to where you were very quickly and the efforts you made won't be lost.....surely? Or have I got this wrong? xx

You're right, my logic is fried... I HOPE that gain will go as fast as it came, but there were a good few cals involved yesterday as well.

So far have had my spoonful of porridge, a couple of pints of herb tea and am holding out for after 12 for a coffee and bar. Your loss is spurring me on Bess, so stay strong.

xxx

So far have had my spoonful of porridge
I managed porridge soup again this morning, it seems to be a trend at the moment, I'm putting in the 140mls but getting slop.

Keep strong Katy your doing well. In the bigger picture you have lost so much and thats a big pat on the back.:patback: Just remember whilst you are trying you are not putting it all back on, where would you be without trying? I would be 15 stone and hating it x

:coffee::character00148::scale::flowers::hug99:

You are both very wise and very lovely. I know you're right... thanks, and hugs.

xxx

Ah Quizz, so lovely to hear from you... am needing the vibes all right today, but so far so good! Hope all is well with you honey, hugs & thanks for thinking of me.

xxx

This is very interesting Lelly. Can I ask you a bit more? (Sorry Katy :eek:)

How long does it take for fat cells to disappear for good then? More than a year from what you said next, but do you know how long it takes?

Yes, very hard and this is what puzzles me so. I put on around 8lbs over Christmas but I'm sure that I didn't /couldn't have eaten 28,000 calories over what I'd need to maintain. So am I right in thinking that some of this was water and if so, how do we get rid of it because it certainly hung around? (I certainly didn't look or feel the same as you say you did with a smaller weight gain.)
This leads me to be a bit confused about the 12lbs that have gone since I started CD again 12 days ago....how much will be fat and how much water? How does drinking water not fill up the fat cells and make us gain more? How does drinking water help us to lose the weight when dieting?

Sorry if this is a bit confused, but I think I must be too....

xxx

...hmm and here's where i prove i am no scientist... (sorry again Katy:eek:)

...the calorie level for fat gain i got from here and i think this is the accepted idea...so over a week it would only be an extra 500 cals a day over your maintenance amount to gain 1lb, so in your example Bess you would have to have eaten an extra 500 cals per day for 56 days (and not burn any off with activity) to gain 8lbs of fat....
you have lost an amazing 12lbs in 12 days (fantastically well done by the way!) so I should think it would be a combination of water, carb stores, some muscle and fat too. I suppose everybodys' body is different and some retain more water than others, i only wish i knew all the answers to your questions Bess but my knowledge in this area is very limited

...and as far as i can find out from t'internet research fat cells don't disappear but just shrink when they are not needed. as for the filling with water theory when fat is released i don't know how true this is i'm going with it though and it seems to make sense i'm just as in the dark with the way these things work really, but it just seems to me that I can gain massive amounts which disappear quite quickly again. as for why we don't continuously retain all the water we drink i can only assume once they've shrunk for a bit they stay that way unless the are kicked into action again with overeating (?? maybe)
As forwhy we need water when dieting, nicked this -

The role of water in dieting.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drinking water may be the most important piece to the weight loss puzzle. Water contains no calories, fat, or cholesterol and is low in sodium. It is nature's appetite suppressant, and it helps the body to metabolize fat. Current research shows that low water intakes yield an increase in fat deposits. Conversely, high water intake reduces the amount of fat deposits. Without enough water, the kidneys cannot function properly. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As a result, some of their workload is pushed off onto the liver, in turn preventing the liver from operating at peak levels. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How does all this tie into weight loss? Because metabolizing fat is a primary function of the liver, and because the liver can't function at peak levels when taking on the added workload from the kidneys, less body fat is metabolized and more is stored. This leads to either weight gain or reaching a plateau of weight loss. To increase your ability to metabolize fat and lose weight, you should drink plenty of clean water to improve your kidney and liver functions.[/FONT]

seems to makes sense i think.

anyway hope this was of some use, if not you may need to get some expert KD advice:D
xx

Back