love atkins

Today I've had two cups of tea without milk (or soya milk) for the first time. I usually find black tea too bitter but I really liked it.

Strange things this low carbing lark does to your tastebuds.

Morning all....I had a bad eating weekend. I went out with oh on Fri night for tapas, had wine and 2 g&t also a little bit of bread to soak up sauces. Thought I would get back on straight and narrow the next day....but such a hangover, I had forgotten how badly alcohol affects you when low carving! So on sat I ate and ate, bread, more bread mashed potato...you get the picture.
I have been struggling to stay on atkins since Xmas and I think one of the reasons is that I have been watching calories also, so this week I am going to eat about 1800 cals per day whilst also keeping to 20 carbs.
I have been reading posts on line about the original atkins 1972, it appears in that book that net carbs did not exist and you counted all carbs....including the fibre....also there were no rungs, you could introduce any food after one week provided you counted the carbs.

Counting all carbs allows for very little veg, however I like the idea of introducing foods in the order you prefer, so I might look to do that after I have reintroduced berries and nuts. I really miss my carrots and swede.

Evening all, good atkins day, so far.

B 3 egg omlette with prawns and cheese
L salmon salad with mayo
D will be burger, sans horse! Mayo and small salad
S alpro soya drink
Cals.1500, total carbs 18

Strangely now that I am trying to eat 1800 cals, I am having difficulty getting there. Quite a bit of fat but carbs are low and within the 1972 guidelines. We will see what the evening brings, I might get hungry later.

Fat is good! I get frustrated trying to keep my fat levels high enough sometimes.

Hi all finished well yesterday, kept within carbs although cals were lower than I expected.

Today
B bacon and egg
L sardines, mayo small salad alpro milk
D will be rack of lamb and salad
S mushroom stuffed with cheese and chorizo, grilled

Total carbs 14 fat 71%, cals still only 1500ish. It seems when I allow myself to eat I don't need to.

I agree ML high fat is good and it also seems to be satisfying my appetite.

I have also joined the gym, the plan is to go 3 times a week, so I will only be weighing myself once a month, if I can resist the scales, I tend to be a daily weigher.

Hi, dinner last night was lovely. Today I am out for brunch with a friend, will probably have an omlette, which should hopefully be zero carbs. I will update later with food for the day. I am thinking pork belly, with some stirfry veg and mashed cauliflour. I am going to try making a gravy, cook onion and garlic with the pork, skim off some of the fat add stock, liquidise and add a bit of tomato puree to help thicken. I will have to work out the carbs to see if it is doable.

Enjoy tour day.

I'm having pork belly too! I love it with soy, 5 spice and spring onion, Chinese style.

Pork was lovely, next time I will try it with the 5 spice. I made the gravy and it wad lovely.8 carbs for 1/3 if the pot. But I didn't have that much. I will Def make it again, I miss gravy with a roast.

Not hungry at all today....is it down to the fat in the pork?

Today
B.....
L.....
D meatballs with tomato sauce and salad, maybe a glass or two if wine
S alpro drink.

I reckon it could be down to the pork belly. I have tried cooking the stuff, but just can't get it anything like crispy. It's all rubbery when I do it, how do you do yours?
How's the fast day going? Mine's nearly over - hurrah!

Morning all, catching up after the weekend.
@ smiley it was the first time I cooked pork belly. I sprinkled the fat with salt and left it for bout 4 hours, apparently that draws water out. I rubbed dry and put in the oven at 200 for 30 mins, reduced oven to 180 and cooked for another 2 hrs. Uppped the heat to 220 for last half hour. It was really crispy.

Last week I went by the 1972 atkins version where you count all carbs, including the fibre. I keep to under 20 carbs each day, except for a couple of glasses of wine on Fri night. I actually didn't find it too hard. On Fri I did a fast day, this was mostly due to the fact I wasn't really hungry.....it was not a problem, although I did have some wine so I didn't keep to 500 cals, more like 800. I think I will do the 1972 again this week as I was not tempted last week, probably the first week I have kept properly to atkins since the new year. I don't know if that is down to the carbs or a better mindset.
I will update food later.
Have a good day.

Well done, sammy - being in the right place mentally is crucial IMO, and sounds like you are :)

Have you weighed at all, or are you trying to stay off the scales for a while?

@scrumbles, I haven't weighed yet, I plan on waiting another week or maybe til the end of the month. I have found in the last few weeks what the scales says affects my eating. If I see a good loss, I relax the eating....if I see no loss I decide I will start again after the weekend! I know that when I am in ketosis for a few weeks I don't feel the tug to eat carbs when I see them.

Food for today
B 3 egg omlette with cheese
L tuna mayo salad
D beef stew with cauliflour mash.

Total carbs for the day 16.

Back