Low GI/GL snacks and quick meals

clarri

Gold Member
Ok, Im starting this thread out of the discussion on chickpea chat. Please post anything you can think of. :D

Mine were -
Omlette, although I usually have eggs for breakfast so I forget about it being good for a quick lunch or dinner!!

Lentil mix - I use a tin of brown or green lentils, drain and rinse, half a teaspoon of coconut oil, with a chopped onion softened in it, add the lentils, stir, add any other available veg, carrots, mushrooms, peppers etc, add a stock cube, veg or chicken, and about a pint of water, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can sprinkle with a bit of low fat cheese, or some sprouting beans. Nom nom!!

I have recently been having a tin of no drain tuna for an afternoon snack. I find it really does fill the gap if Im really hungry, and takes the craving for something away.
Also, couple of ryvita with cottage cheese and ground black pepper.

So, there, thats started. Im sure there will be some more delicious ones coming now. Those are all very basic. :p

I wonder if the forum moderators will make this topic into a sticky, that will be really nice :)

Ok, to make the sticky stick I've copied and pasted the following for a quick low GI/GL meal:

I think a can of beans (cannelloni or blacked eyed) or chickpeas, thrown in a pan with a little olive oil, a can of plum peeled tomatoes ( I crush the tomatoes with my hand as I take them out of the tin) and adding harissa paste, olive paste or curry paste is always quick and tasty.

You can also add frozen veg (spinach, peas, broccoli) if you want and then have it with pitta bread (again frozen - sprinkle it with water, shake water off & put it in the toaster). Eat it on its own or with salad and/or yoghurt. Whole meal takes about 15 minutes or less, depending on heat used.

Woot it's sticky now, thank you!

Spicy Falafel

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins

sunflower or vegetable oil
1 small onion , finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g can chickpeas , washed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (or use more cumin)
handful parsley , chopped, or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 egg , beaten

1. Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pan, then fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 mins until softened. Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices, then mash together with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down. Stir in the parsley or dried herbs, with seasoning to taste. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands.

2. Mould the mix into 6 balls, then flatten into patties. Heat a little oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 mins on each side, until golden brown and firm. Serve hot or cold with couscous, pitta bread or salad.

I'm going to have to try out your spicy falafel recipe. It sounds yummy and really easy to do :)

Spicy Falafel

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins

sunflower or vegetable oil
1 small onion , finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400g can chickpeas , washed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (or use more cumin)
handful parsley , chopped, or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 egg , beaten

1. Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pan, then fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 mins until softened. Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices, then mash together with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down. Stir in the parsley or dried herbs, with seasoning to taste. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands.

2. Mould the mix into 6 balls, then flatten into patties. Heat a little oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 mins on each side, until golden brown and firm. Serve hot or cold with couscous, pitta bread or salad.

OMG, yummity yumm yumm, and they would be totally free on my plan minus the oil, but I can do without that anyway!!!!
Whoop.
Thank you so much. xx

Zingy Zangy Chickpea Salad

This is yet another recipe involving our humble friend and this time its a snack idea. It's very quick, versatile and yummy.

Serves 1

20 g dried chickpea or 40g canned chickpea or 20 peanuts
1 tomato, deseeded
1/4 cucumber, deseeded
1/2 spring onion or 1/4 onion (red or white)
A few sprigs of herbs - coriander or mint are perfect
squeeze of lemon juice
dash of tabasco sauce or chilli sauce or small amount of fresh chilli (optional)

Dice the tomato and cucumber about the same size as the chickpea. Finely chop the spring onion and herbs. Squeeze the lemon juice. Add chilli. Mix thoroughly and enjoy.

I usually make this with dried chickpeas and sometimes with normal chickpeas. My mum makes it with peanuts and it is delicious.

NB: According to myfitnesspal:
20 plain unsalted peanuts = 70 calories
20g dried chickpea =73 calories
40g chickpeas = 48 calories

Back