Lunch Ideas

Jengen

Hi all
I have rejoined SW 11/08/10 and I am looking for lunch ideas to take to work, this is what i struggle with most. I am doing red and green days rather than EE.

There is a microwave only in work, So far I have taken-
Jacket potato and beans, pasta and sauce, ham sanwich on ww bread.

Please help with ideas :confused:

Thanks
Jen :)

A big salad with lots of different veg and even grapes, apples, kiwi with tuna, ham, turkey, prawns.

Cottage cheese and crispbreads. Or just cottage cheese with a bowl full of crudites.

pasta/rice salad with lots of veg and a he portion or protein. (i like prawns a synned sweet chilli sauce)

What about "left Overs"? I tend to try & make extra portions of dinners so that I can have them for lunches.

You could always freeze them then lift them out the night before & then re-heat at work?

Failing that, salads, home made SW quiches, cold meats with HEb allowence of bread or pittas & then thing slike you say, pasta, cous cous & baked pots??

In the World of Flavours cookbook they do a Tarka Dhal, like a lentil soup with lots of spices. It is gorgeous. Boyfriend took it to work and all the other people were having a good salivate over it. I take cous cous salad or bulgar wheat, and also tuna nicoise when I need my French fix.

Thanks for the help :)

Leftovers - from dinner
Soups
Stews
Fruit salad
Salads
Homemade Sushi using veg if on a green day?
Hummus and crudités on green days?
Tuna pasta?

I'm having the same problem as this too. So far i've had either beans on toast or tinned spag on toast for 3 days in a row because i really cant think of what to take and have to grab that at the last minute before i leave. >_<

I made Chilli and stuffed halves of peppers and sprincled with cheese :D i loved it warmed in microwave or cold
0 syns on red just the cheese is a healthy a choice :D x

I am a microwave queen.

I don't think there is anything that can't be done in the microwave.

I have been on lates all week (since last wednesday) and I have had
chilli & rice,
Goulash
srambled egg
Chicken with steamed new pots & runner beans
quorn lasagne
Pasta with roasted peppers & quorn sausages
Ratatouille with cous cous

I find batch cooking the best. You can get cheap tubs from pound shops. I take out the night before what I intend to have or just take out that morning. When I steam the veg I just cover with a little water & off I go but you can get microwave steamers (I have one at home).

Let me know if you want any other ideas
x

I used to love taking the Batchelors pasta n sauces or savoury rices. I always added loads of onions, celery, tomatoes etc to get extra speed foods in, and if you're doing EE you can add a tin of tuna or some chicken and ham x

I love left overs for my lunches, also I love taking things in my vacuum food flask - veggie chilli or soups. I can also get a jacket potato and beans from the canteen if I need to. If I really have no time, I mash a banana onto ryvita and sprinkle with cinnamon, then follow that with more fruit and a fat free yoghurt.....

This weeks lunches are:
* Tuesday - 3 pagen rolls, cottage cheese, toms, cucumber, pickled onions and gherkins, possibly some carrot battons too.
* Wednesday - team lunch in work where everyone brings something, I'm hoping others will take salad bits so I can fill up on those, plus I'm making the wild rice and carrot salad from one of the SW books.
* Thursday - possibly a layered cheese salad, I absolutely love this and its sooooo filling as it has plenty of salad bits, pasta and cheese
* Friday - either a jacket potato and beans or pasta with tuna and sweetcorn or feta cheese with stir fry peppers and onions, piled onto a salad ???

fruit and a fat free yoghurt.....

* Wednesday - team lunch in work where everyone brings something, I'm hoping others will take salad bits so I can fill up on those, plus I'm making the wild rice and carrot salad from one of the SW books.

What book is that wild rice in please? I like the sound of that

Last edited:
I'm a leftoveraholic!!! We tend to make extra portions and freeze them (in chinese take-out tubs)

This weekend, I made a huge roast and have made "orange" soup, and frozen it (500 ml drink bottles filled to the top of the label are a great portion).

Soup contains:

Sweet potato
Butternut squash
Carrot
Swede
Garlic
Courgettes
Peppers

all blitzed together with a couple of litres of veggie stock. And yes, they're what was on the Sunday Roast plate. Sometimes we have cherry tomatoes and mushrooms too, adds a bit of sweetness.

I love left overs for my lunches, also I love taking things in my vacuum food flask - veggie chilli or soups. I can also get a jacket potato and beans from the canteen if I need to. If I really have no time, I mash a banana onto ryvita and sprinkle with cinnamon, then follow that with more fruit and a fat free yoghurt.....

This weeks lunches are:
* Tuesday - 3 pagen rolls, cottage cheese, toms, cucumber, pickled onions and gherkins, possibly some carrot battons too.
* Thursday - possibly a layered cheese salad, I absolutely love this and its sooooo filling as it has plenty of salad bits, pasta and cheese
* Friday - either a jacket potato and beans or pasta with tuna and sweetcorn or feta cheese with stir fry peppers and onions, piled onto a salad ???

I love that salad too, soooooooooo yummy, and a good one for a packed lunch

Maypole its in the free food feasts book, I've not tried it before but it looks pretty simple (cook the rice, cook carrot matchsticks and green beans in water for 3 mins, add sweetcorn, plum tomatoes chopped. sliced onions and fat free french dressing).

*honey, there's alot of love for the layered salad !!! I cant get over how filling it is, I love it.

Emmylou your veggie soup sounds lovely!

I just LOVE whole little gem lettuce leaves with lots of prawns and slices of beef tomato and seafood dressing - Low fat and I use two tbsp for 3 syns and add a little milk from my allowance which makes it drizzle over even further - scrummy yummy yummy - hum hum.

AND I toast my two slices of 400g bread to eat with it. even scrummier ! AND I is full to the brim.

I do a superfree soup:

Butternut squash, any other squash I can get, onion, carrots, celery, red peppers.

I roast the squash (just halved) and red peppers (leave whole) for about 40 mins. While they're roasting I sweat the onions, carrots, and celery for about 5 mins, then add stock and whatever herbs/spices I fancy then simmer for about 30 mins.
Spoon the flesh out of the squash, and skin and stalk the peppers, put into the pan with the other veg. Blend until smooth.
I like to add a little chilli to give it a bit of a kick, but that's completely optional.

Serve alone, or with HExb crackers and HExA cheese spread. VEry filling and nommy.

I do a superfree soup:

Butternut squash, any other squash I can get, onion, carrots, celery, red peppers.

I roast the squash (just halved) and red peppers (leave whole) for about 40 mins. While they're roasting I sweat the onions, carrots, and celery for about 5 mins, then add stock and whatever herbs/spices I fancy then simmer for about 30 mins.
Spoon the flesh out of the squash, and skin and stalk the peppers, put into the pan with the other veg. Blend until smooth.
I like to add a little chilli to give it a bit of a kick, but that's completely optional.

Serve alone, or with HExb crackers and HExA cheese spread. VEry filling and nommy.

mmmm, this sounds yum, will have to give this a go

Back