Red Day Meat Loaf

Wicca303

Meat Loaf
Ingredients:
454g lean mince (beef or lamb work best)
Handful mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Majoram
1/2 tsp Mustard powder
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1tbsp Worcestshire sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
1 tbsp (level) tomato puree
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Fry onion & garlic in frylight for 2 mins to soften, add the mushrooms, thyme, & majoram. Fry until all are soft but not caramelised. Drain off any excess liquid.

3. Combine above mixture in a bowl with the mince, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree & carrot, mix well. Gradually mix in the beaten eggs.

4. Spray a non-stick loaf tin with frylight, firmly press the mince mixture into the greased tin.

5. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

6. Serve hot or cold.

This will keep in the fridge (cooked) for upto 5 days, it travels well and is lovely eaten cold for lunch.

Made this tonight and it was delish!!! I added more herbs though as we're used to stronger, herbier flavours and it was really nice. Got some left over to try cold.

Thanks

Linda

can you tell the syns value? please

I mainly do green but if was free I'd have a red day

and.......could I leave the mustard out :jelous:

I'm *assuming* it's free on red (and therefore EE) and I'd have thought it was fine to leave out the mustard - although I couldn't taste it particularly. I did think it might be nice with something like cranberry or redcurrant jelly in it to make it a bit fruitier but would need to syn it to see how it changed things.

It was lovely cold as well - probably actually preferred it cold but couldn't see myself making it up just to eat it cold if you see what I mean.

Made this on Sunday instead of a roast for a change and it was clear plates all round, yum yum, many thanks Wicca xx

i have just made this but never had worcestershire sauce so i used marmite instead hope it tastes good

This recipe is great. I would love to be able to tell people that it is nice cold but we normally eat the whole lot hot!! It is so good.

I didn't have any mustard powder but used some wholegrain mustard and synned it. Really good.

Back