Melanie's food diary

Well I'm fine Melanie. :)

Have just been invited to a black tie do for work on Monday, Feb 10th.... (odd night for a black tie do, but whatever!). Now I have a deadline to focus on... And a dress to fit in to!!! :eek:

LOL, that'll give you a target then Melanie. :)

Yup! That's it Jim and Laura... a target and yes, I have a dress in mind :D

Happy Friday everyone! Today's plan is
Lunch
2 x rashers with broccoli, leek and cabbage, 30g cheddar cheese

Snack
3 x franks
30g smoked salmon
1 tblsp cream cheese

Dinner
2 x herbed chicken breasts, 1/2 bag cabbage

Quick question to the Atkins old timers... how much is too much? What for you is the 'point of no return' (or point of no weightloss)? I was reading in the Atkins book about calories/thermal effect and i know everyone is different, but just wondering if you 'know' what's too much? Any knowledge shared gratefully received... :p

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm, if I'm reading this correctly, I allow myself 3lbs over posted weigh and then I'll go on induction, no strings barred. OK, over Christmas and stuff I'll gain more than that, so I start induction on Jan 1st. Does that make sense.

Or if you are talking stalls and stuff, I had a month long one, then cut out the cheese.

Thanks Jim. Good rules of thumb. And so you work away, and eat as you wish, but if it's putting weight on, you reign it in to induction?

In a day, do you mind me asking, do you watch portion size?

I don't like the Sero breakfast bars - ewwww. However the Sero bars that cost around £1 each, the sort of lunch or dinner type bars, are much better. They come in chocolate (very chocolate-y and chewy) or choc orange (yummy). Half a bar sliced up small usually provides a nice treat.

The peanut breakfast bars, and the white choc and berry breakfast bars, taste odd to me, too, but some people love them!

Hi Jim!

I had to cut down and almost cut out all sugar alcohols, nuts and cheese to break my eight-week stall. Considering that I can't eat meat or fish, there wasn't much left after that! I reintroduced them all very slowly and in small amounts. I had been eating more cream cheese than before so cut that back, too. My weight began to fall again. As a veggie Atkins will never be straightforward for me, but I will definitely stick with it. I love it.

Everything we do food-wise is sort of experimental because we are all individuals with different body types, heights, bone structures, genetics and metabolisms. You just can't generalise. Some people can eat cheese freely and suffer no ill-effects. Others can munch on nuts. Many can eat Atkins bars twice a day. I can't do any of these things!

When people on other sites (cough - no names mentioned) lecture and hector and say, 'well I can eat lots and still lose (implying that YOU are not 'doing it right'), or say 'eat more fat!' when you are already eating tons, they fail to understand that they are THEMSELVES and you are YOU and that is that!

On this must-remain-nameless site there are countless amateur 'experts' claiming to want only to help and guide others but doing so with whip in hand. This just confuses people and worse, scares them away. Heaven save us all from such Atkins perfection.

Last edited:
Hmm a quick question for you Girly, you know the soya meat chicken? (not sure if you have ever used it), I usually buy that as its so much cheaper than regular chicken breast. Can it be eaten on atkins? :) x

And, hi melanie, hope you day is good :)

Hi Alison!

Yes, you can eat quorn on Atkins but it is not advised during Induction. This is because it is relatively higher in carbs than, say, tofu. Tofu is okay during Phase 1. I sneaked quorn in a few times, sure! Particularly the quorn delicatessen ham or chicken slices because they are yummy in sandwiches and good for making omelettes and soups. They are fairly low in carbs and I think you can get away with eating them if your body does not stall on this source of protein. I also used the quorn fillets, in moderation, once or twice a week.

I never eat the breaded or battered quorn things because the carbs can be very high. Since I don't eat meat I have to tweak and tinker with the pemitted foods!

Alison sorry - did you mean chicken-flavoured TVP? The dried stuff? That is high in carbs alas. I wouldn't eat that kind until OWL at the earliest.

Alison sorry - did you mean chicken-flavoured TVP? The dried stuff? That is high in carbs alas. I wouldn't eat that kind until OWL at the earliest.

Ahhh no I meant the frozen chicken peices made by Quorn :) And thanks for the info, its nice to know I can have it with a bit of chilli powder and some stirfry veg x

Ugh Quorn & especially Tofu :yuk: :9529:

Ugh Quorn & especially Tofu :yuk: :9529:

haha! That made me chuckle....yeah its not as nice as the real mckoy, but cheaper, so doused in chiili powder it makes a convincing chicken lol

Ive never tried Tofu to be honest, but as a full on meat eater, not sure that would sit comfortably with me!:D

I think Atkins worked for me because I've always liked my meat Alison. That and never having to starve myself. :D

Ha Ha Jim!

Plain tofu is ewww I agree. But you can buy yummy Cauldron chilli burgers. When it is turned into burgers and seasoned right it is really delicious. I hardly ever buy it these days. The 'raw' stuff I simply never buy!

Yes the quorn fillets are on offer right now at £1 a bag and they are very versatile. Quorn is sourced from mushrooms so in a way it is veggie carbs! LOL. Surely?

Ha Ha Jim!

Plain tofu is ewww I agree. But you can buy yummy Cauldron chilli burgers. When it is turned into burgers and seasoned right it is really delicious. I hardly ever buy it these days. The 'raw' stuff I simply never buy!

Yes the quorn fillets are on offer right now at £1 a bag and they are very versatile. Quorn is sourced from mushrooms so in a way it is veggie carbs! LOL. Surely?

Oh! from mushrooms? wow I never knew that :)

Morning everyone...
Not much to say today... quiet enough weekend (hurry up payday!)

Today's plan, Saturday, January 23
Breakfast - 3 frankfurters
Lunch - Chicken Caesar Salad (no crutons)
Snack - chargrilled chicken salad
Dinner - Indian takeaway (postponed from last night); Tandoori mixed grill and side of spinach/paneer

Going to try and fit in a walk or trip to the gym too...
45 minute walk

And I'm hoping that I'll be back in Ketosis tomorrow with any luck...

Last edited:
Morning Melanie :wavey:

Back