Microwave

RenewMe

Hi Guys

I love the S&S meals so far but is it actually 'safe' to be nuking food everyday?:confused: I am extremely conscious and do not re-fill water bottles do not microwave my meals in any plastic pots and even have a BPA free water bottle. There is a history of cancer in the family and although it maybe down to genetics, I feel it would be good to take preventative measures now.
I guess I can answer my own question really, - the answer being for me to feel safe (ish), is to cook the meals over a hob, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or knowledge about this.

x

RenewMe said:
Hi Guys

I love the S&S meals so far but is it actually 'safe' to be nuking food everyday?:confused: I am extremely conscious and do not re-fill water bottles do not microwave my meals in any plastic pots and even have a BPA free water bottle. There is a history of cancer in the family and although it maybe down to genetics, I feel it would be good to take preventative measures now.
I guess I can answer my own question really, - the answer being for me to feel safe (ish), is to cook the meals over a hob, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or knowledge about this.

x

All the meals come with directions-and they say to microwave them :) not sure what the issue with that would be if that's what s&s say to do??? I'm not sure how it relates to the refilling water bottles thing tho-as surely refilling bottles is cheaper than buying new ones-and potentially better as less waste???

Hello, I have had similar thoughts about the microwaving - I literally NEVER microwave food usually so I was quite reluctant to do so with this diet. I only plan to be on the diet for 2 - 3 months maximum so I figured if I microwave the odd meal it's not going to cause a great deal of harm. If you are happier cooking on the hob I think you should just stick to doing that! You need to feel good about what you're eating after all.

Welshtigger - some people are concerned about radiation levels with microwaving. With the plastic bottles - if you refill over and over toxins leech into the water. It all depends on what research studies you believe though :)

Hi Welsh Tiger

Sorry not all people would have heard about this: Taken from Wiki:
Bisphenol A (BPA) is an organic compound with the chemical formula (CH[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB]C(C[SUB]6[/SUB]H[SUB]4[/SUB]OH)[SUB]2[/SUB]. It is a colourless solid that is soluble in organic solvents, but poorly soluble in water. Having two phenol functional groups, it is used to make polycarbonate polymers and epoxy resins, along with other materials used to make plastics.
BPA is controversial because it exerts weak, but detectable, hormone-like properties, raising concerns about its presence in consumer products and foods contained in such products. Starting in 2008, several governments questioned its safety, prompting some retailers to withdraw polycarbonate products. A 2010 report from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raised further concerns regarding exposure of fetuses, infants, and young children.[SUP][1][/SUP] In September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA a toxic substance.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] In the European Union and Canada, BPA use is banned in baby bottles

Water bottles also contain BPA and some plastic food containers too! I worry that nuking things is not as safe as using the hob in terms of the radiation levels in microwaving.

Right ok!!! I'll keep doing what I do-it's never done me any harm! Everyone is entitled to believe what they want about stuff :)

Hello, I have had similar thoughts about the microwaving - I literally NEVER microwave food usually so I was quite reluctant to do so with this diet. I only plan to be on the diet for 2 - 3 months maximum so I figured if I microwave the odd meal it's not going to cause a great deal of harm. If you are happier cooking on the hob I think you should just stick to doing that! You need to feel good about what you're eating after all.

Welshtigger - some people are concerned about radiation levels with microwaving. With the plastic bottles - if you refill over and over toxins leech into the water. It all depends on what research studies you believe though :)

Thanks for that Elliewoods

Like you say it depends you as an individual. I never had a problem with refilling bottles until I read into it. I did think it was scaremongering, especially as most Water bottles state do not re-fill, why I thought? To make you buy more water and fill the pockets of these companies, or is it because they are using bottles which are not BPA free (and most of them do!!)

Microwaves have not really been around for that long - I think they only came out in the late 60s-early 1970s so do we really know enough about them in terms of the radiation they omit. I rarely use the microwave to prepare my DD's food, but I have been using it literally 100% of the time for mine.... :eek:

I am NOT IN ANY WAY downing S&S, CD or LL these diets are a Godsend, especially S&S. ALL the VLCDs I have named state that you can either microwave or use the hob, so they are NOT advocating sole use of the microwave!!!
Obviously nuking is quicker, but my worry is, is it safe???

I guess if you worried about everything in life you would just end up sitting at home all day, rocking back and forth, refusing to step out the door living off meat and vegetables.
If you are dealt with 'lucky cards in life' regardless of how you treat your body then all the more better for you, but of course prevention is better than cure!

At the end of the day that is what we are all here for right? It should really be about our health and longevity of live and THEN about how we look.
Unfortunately in society today, where everyone is taken at face and body value, this is not always the case... xxx

i cook my meals over the hob i dont believe in microwaves, i belive they lead to lazyness and junk food choices, all my meals come out thick and scrummy, i add herbs and spices too, no problems for me

Do you use the same amount of water using the hob then? Does the macaroni etc still need soaked beforehand?

Sorry for the questions but i think id rather use the hob as i can keep an eye on it properly then.

Chellywelly said:
i cook my meals over the hob i dont believe in microwaves, i belive they lead to lazyness and junk food choices, all my meals come out thick and scrummy, i add herbs and spices too, no problems for me

It's not about being lazy! We only have a kettle and a microwave in work, so sadly I don't get the option of cooking meals on the hob! I have to make do

I love my microwave, I feel it is safe you guys to use a microwave as well as better for the enviroment and for your pocket, uses less energy. I have BPA free proper microwave cookware, a veg steamer, fish steamer, egg poacher, little saucepan. I cook proper wholewheat pasta in my steamer as well as brown rice, I steam veg too. My poached eggs where perfect in 1 and a half minutes! Microwaving food retains all the vits in veg, I think your all giving the humble microwave a bad name...... :) each to their own..... though ;) rarely use my hob!

I ment with me! I used to microwave everything and I got stupidly fat because I just had micro chips! And microwaves just gross me out as I know how they cook the food *shudders* and just fill the bottom of the pan just enough to mix in all the powder put it straight on the hob it boils super fast! So be careful and when it's thickened up it's done.

And I know welshtigger it's totally understandable at work! Just worded myself wrong. It's me that when I have one I go ape with it! Let's just say those micro burgers are what made me fat! Call me crazy I'm just abit scared of microwaves in that way lol!

But don't worry I won't be expressing my opinion anymore as I just got my head bit off by about 5 people!

Chellywelly said:
But don't worry I won't be expressing my opinion anymore as I just got my head bit off by about 5 people!

Where exactly have 5 people bitten your head off! I for one didn't, I just said that I have no other option-that's certainly not 'biting your head off'
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but bear in mind, with it being a public forum, that not everyone will agree with you all the time :)

Meh, just feeling really down today so maybe over reacting sorry :( and sorry if I offended you.

Chellywelly said:
Meh, just feeling really down today so maybe over reacting sorry :( and sorry if I offended you.

You haven't offended me at all-but I think that comment about having your head bitten off was a little over the top! And I know some people might take offence at being accused of that

Back