MinnieMel is nolonger considers herself a CDer. One final post.

What I am going t0 be doing instead of just eating....

April 13, 2011 --

Woke up to an expected high of 86F -- and will be taking DD to the pool in a few and going to the gym that overlooks the pool with YS (younger sister). Then YS and I will use the pool/whirlpool.

Later, we'll do some shopping, planning, and partying. It is my good friend's birthday (and her DH is in Afghanistan) -- so, we'll have her and her three kids here at the resort for dinner, cake, ice cream and pool time! :)

Then, tomorrow it'll be the zoo and maybe Sea World on Monday? There is a lot of Fiesta San Antonio events going on this week -- neither my sister nor I like crowds, but I think the Parade on Friday is a must.

Anyway, I want to check the diaries and then get on with my holiday!

MinnieMel

Jealous!!! Have a brill time, sounds amazing!

totally jelous here too, lol

sounds like your having a fabulous holiday!

Hey Mel, just popping in to say hi and send you a 'wave'!!
Sound like youre having a fab time!
x

What I am and will be doing today...

April 14, 2011

We are having a great time -- however, this is not a good place for weight loss or managment. My YS tells me that San Antonio is one of the "fattest" cities in the U.S. and is easy to see why: a zillion restaurants of all kinds of variety (but esp. Mexican and fast food), and then the portions! And, let's not get started on all the amazing high caloric stuff in the groceries! UGH! When my UK friend's kids were talking to us about living here -- it was "We love WhatABurger, Sonic, Rubie's BBQ, etc." (No joke! They named a bunch of eateries!) They then discussed visting the Alamo, shopping, etc.

Anyway, my YS and I used the treadmill for 30 minutes yesterday and will again today -- so, a bit of "Beck Credit" for the treadmill time.

Today is supposed to be another lovely day. We were talking about doing a botanical walk this morning, but my sister is shattered and still asleep. So, I'm not sure what today's plan is going to be (possibly Zoo or botanical garden). Later this afternoon and evening, the UK friends will be back over to use the awesome pool and give the Lazy River a try.

I think we'll get mac and cheese and hot dogs with buns to make the kids' dinner, and I will prepare a big salad for my friend, YS and myself. We'll also get some marshmallows for the kids to roast over an outside fire. So, I'll boil some eggs and cook up the turkey bacon for the salads, soon. (Credit for planning.) lol

Sea World is only opened on the weekend, so I will have to talk to my other friend and see which day is better for us to meet up. Then, we'll go to Sea World on the other day. UK Friend has three young kids (so, they all will go to Sea World with us), the other friend (from our Germany years) has grown kids and is not interested in Sea World.

Anyway, we are looking at going to the Zoo, Botanical Garden, Alamo, Sea World, the Fiesta Parade, and doing some shopping and spending time with family and friends before heading home next Thursday.

Now, I'll have my porridge first, then it is time to put the eggs on boil and cook up the turkey bacon.

MM

sounds like a fabulous plan, would love to see sea world

and well done for avoiding all those massive portion resturants

Sounds as though you are as busy as ever Mel, I hope you have some relaxing time too. :)

Sounds as though you are as busy as ever Mel, I hope you have some relaxing time too. :)

LOL, Bess.

I opened up my netbook to check email and took a gander at MMs and read your message. We had just voted to "blow off" going into downtown San Antonio and dealing with the crowds, parking, etc.just to fight to get a spot to try and watch the Battle of the Flowers Parade.

It is a big Fiesta Texas event -- and this year is the 175 anniversary of the Alamo. so, it'll be even more insane than ever.

We decided to hang out here in the air cond (it is very sunny and hot) and watch it on tele (it is being broadcast on three stations!). Then, when the parade is over we'll walk across to the lazy river, pool and games room and just relax!

We know we'll have hectic, stressful day tomorrow with four kids at Sea World and it being a weekend. So, we thought -- we'll see more on tele than we will in a crowd (esp. since we are 5', 5'2 and 5'4), there are cool drinks here, snacks for the kids, a clean loo, etc.

Soooo... parade on tele, pool, etc. lazy day!

MM

Sounds a much better idea MM, enjoy!!

Hi CeeGee,

I love your new pic! Did the book arrive?

Mel

That's prob my most recent pic from thailand! It did indeed, thank you!

LOL, Bess.

I opened up my netbook to check email and took a gander at MMs and read your message. We had just voted to "blow off" going into downtown San Antonio and dealing with the crowds, parking, etc.just to fight to get a spot to try and watch the Battle of the Flowers Parade.

It is a big Fiesta Texas event -- and this year is the 175 anniversary of the Alamo. so, it'll be even more insane than ever.

We decided to hang out here in the air cond (it is very sunny and hot) and watch it on tele (it is being broadcast on three stations!). Then, when the parade is over we'll walk across to the lazy river, pool and games room and just relax!

We know we'll have hectic, stressful day tomorrow with four kids at Sea World and it being a weekend. So, we thought -- we'll see more on tele than we will in a crowd (esp. since we are 5', 5'2 and 5'4), there are cool drinks here, snacks for the kids, a clean loo, etc.

Soooo... parade on tele, pool, etc. lazy day!

MM

Now that sounds just great! x

Hi -- I am trying to post a picture on my DD and her BFFS (sisters). We went to their piano recital last night.

I think I managed to attach a thumbnail.

Mel

Attachments

• J,L and B.jpg
    J,L and B.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 27
What I did yesterday and will be doing today instead of just eating...

Friday, April 15th

We were going to go downtown and watch the Battle of the Flowers Parade, but the traffic, strong sun, heat and crowds deterred us... plus, it is televised so we decided to stay at the resort and invite our friends to watch it here with us. About 1/2 way through the parade the cleaners showed up, so we packed up and went to the rec area.

We turned all six televisons in the gym to the parade (no one in there) and watched it facing each other looking at different screens. It was interesting to watch it like this. Anyway, we could see the pool through the glass wall in the gym, so the youngest was complaining non-stop about wanting to be in the pool not watching the parade.

We finally went down to the pool and kids played for hours (water sliding, lazy river floating, splashing around, etc.) My friend and I hung out in the outside salt water hot tub, pool, lounge chairs, etc.

It was nice relaxing day -- my sister actually left and went into work for a bit. (That was good, because she was feeling a bit stressed about somethign she needed to do.)

Thne last night we out to see my good friend from Germany and her husband. Her house is lovely, looked very much the way she had described it. I missed seeing her son (who was my cub scout years ago) by a few minutes, but I going up to her house on Tuesday.

Time to go to Sea World.

Later,
Mel

What I did Saturday, Sunday and Monday instead of just eating...

(UK)BFF = Best American Friend from UK
(G)BFF = Best American Friend from German

April 16th --

Spent the day at Sea World with my DD, YS, (UK)BFF and (UK)BFF's 3 kids. My YS was the bomb - she took DD and two older kids (12, 13, almost 11 year old girls) to the big rides, whilst (UK)BFF and I took the 5 year old boy to a playground and the Sesame Street rides.

It was sunny and very warm, but we found shade and YS took all the kids on some of the water rides whilst BFF and I sat in the shade and got caught up.

The food was rubbish -- but I settled for a turkey leg (shared with DD)... not a chicken leg: Turkey! Everything really is bigger in Texas. My sister tells me that San Antonio is one of the fattest cities in the United States. I can see why -- it is full of fast food restaurants, and every single event, place, etc. has food tied to it.

The shows were fab -- and wished I could have booked DD in for an swim with the dolphins (but they do not do this at this Sea World atm). Maybe next visit.

After Sea World we came back to the resort and all the kids had a wonderful time in the pool, on the slides, etc. Later, BFF made dinner for us at her house (A vegetable beef soup) and DD spent the night and next day with her and the kids.

(We went back to resort just in time to use the treadmills, as YS MUST do at least 30 minutes a day.)

Sunday the 17th --

(Did treadmill first thing.)

(UK)BFF took DD and her kids all to a fab mall and out for lunch, whilst YS and I went to Gruene, Texas (a historic town) to visit the once a month market and check out all the quaint shops. We had lunch at the Grist Mill (very good food -- and I had blackened red fish and roasted veg) and enjoyed some Blue Grass in the dance hall featured in the flim Michael. I had a "beer" but it was a Michaelob Ultra - only 95 calories and 2.5 carbs!

Later, we met up with DD and all the kids at the resort for more pool time.

Monday the 18th --

Did treadmill first thing -- changed into swimsuits and did not put on sunscreen! We got totally burned whilst floating down the lazy river on floats. It was supposed to be about 98 degrees today. I know it was in the mid-90s for sure. The lazy river was cool, and there was a "fake" beach with a drinks hut and everything. It is amazing.

I was very bad for the first time all holiday: I had Nachos (with the cheesey sauce) and a frozen Margarita. I have no idea how many calories that all was -- but I will have to do pennance somehow.

We left the beach as we were feeling the burn and showered up at the apartment. we then went out to do some shopping in air conditioning! We had dinner out -- and it was sort of okay, but I really should have had coffee there, then a MAM later.

--- Tomorrow's Plan

Anyway, I plan on getting out early (I am usually up early) and going to the gym by 7:30 to use the treadmill before I go out for the day with my (G)BFF.

We'll be going to The Riverwalk and seeing some of San Antonio's sights. Maybe taking a boat along river and riding the trolley. We'll have to see what we can accomplish -- it is supposed to be another scorcher.

I think DD will hang out with YS.

MM

I didn't know you had a diary here!! I was just thinking the other day that you are so good at posting on everyone's diaries but don't have one yourself and you actually do! :rolleyes:

I haven't got time to read it all now as I've just spent the last hour catching up on Shanny's diary which I also just found...but will catch up on yours soon.

I can't believe it took me so long to find it - the link in your signature should have been a clue alas my detecting skills are not what they ought to be for a policeman's daughter :eek::D

Hope the rest of your holiday is great!

Back