MinnieMel is nolonger considers herself a CDer. One final post.

Hi Gg,

It is pretty amazing. My father sent with it a nice leather cover that makes it look like a book, and it has a built in light that is powered by the Kindle. You can do all kinds of things -- you can highlight passages, write comments in the margins, etc. I am going to download next month's book group book -- I already have the reader's guide, but since that is a PDF file I might be able to save it to the Kindle. I want to be able to "think" about the questions as I am reading the book. I usually have to go back a reread in order to participate in the discussions.

Once I've used it for a bit -- I'll let you know. The one thing that gets me -- is that sometimes the Kindle book costs more than a physical copy!?

But, you can carry a library with you and instantly purchase a new book via wifi (they all have that) or in the upgraded ones 3g. Also, people have subscriptions: daily papers, periodicals, etc. send straight to their Kindles. I think it is the future.

BTW -- the iphone has a Kindle app.

MM

Yay to the 10s! Well done Mel, and also on the yellow cake. And hope you enjoyed the spa day, sounded great!

xxx

spa day sounds lovely mel,ive been thinking of hiring a power plate ,there is a company near me that rents them out,i may have a trial session first,see if i like it,is it a funny sensation? i imagine it to be!

@Ruby,

I wasn't too bad when standing on it (doing a squat), but when I was on my back doing a crunch it was very strange. My teeth were chattering! I felt it a bit the next day, but the instructor said that it does not replace a work out -- it is complementary.

MM

thanks for that mel, i thought it replaced a workout,not just complementary,i think im just going to do my walking for now, then start swimming when ima bit smaller,more for toning purposes than weight loss,im walking about 90 mins a day at the moment,trying to walk at a faster speed than normal,makes me feel better ayway,probably being outside does that,more than anything else!
im taking my children to a circus-skills workshop on monday,i have to stay with the little one,so who knows what my next idea will be!

Hi Ruby,

There are people who do powerplates to replace a workout, but that fitness instructor told me otherwise. My CDC has one client who only does CD and powerplates and she said that she is very toned.

MM

18/02/11 -- Friday

Doing okay on the diet... but this birthday thing will certainly be a challenge.

I've already turned on the oven to start baking cookies, cupcakes (gluten free - one guest can't have gluten) and a birthday cake for DD.

She is having her big party starting this evening at 5 and ending tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. -- then she and I have rush off to meet friends in London by 1:30 p.m. -- busy and stressful (and now the house is full of candies, cookies, cupcakes, popcorn, and all sorts of "party food" and drink).

We'll be setting up a fountain thing for drinks and the fondue pot for chocolate dipping. I could on and on about all the things DD has chosen for this party. Including starting with a wall climbing activity, then back here for dinner, cake and "party". Then, the one male guest leaves and the girls will have dvds, karaoke, disco dancing, mayve some make over, craft stuff, etc. sleepover activites... then in morning it'll be chocolate chip pancakes (we have gluten free) -- and, hopefully, all are on their way home by 10:30!

I know this all sounds overly indulgent, but she'll change schools this year and will not be at the same school as these friends -- and so it is unlikely she will have five other female friends to invite for a sleep over birthday next year. She is very shy and language problems: so, if she wants to do it "big" this year -- I want to do my best.

But... I am feeling overwhelmed by it all. lol

MM

She will love it... and you will be the best mum ever for making it so special. There's no price on happy memories, just don't nibble... be good!!!

xxx

Iv just downloaded that app from amazon! Downloaded a book called confessions of a gp, soo funny lol

@Kimmie,

Sounds like a good read for recovery. I hope you heal very fast.

MM

hope you all have a fabulous party mel,and have a great time in london,hope the girls dont keep you up too late!

wow.. sounds like it's going to be great fun!

Just do a list .. focus on one thing at a time and you'll get through it!

Survived DD's Birthday!

I am shattered...

Baked, cleaned, organised, took 7 kids wall climbing (felt like climbing a wall myself), dinner, drinks fountain, cake, ice cream, chocolate fountain, Wii, DVD... and little girls who would not go to sleep!!!! Pancakes and bacon in the morning, a pinata, pack up and clean up...
the last "sleepover" guest left at about 11:30 a.m. -- and I had to to then rush to get showered and dressed to catch the train to London with DD. Missed the "fast train" had to wait 25 minutes for the sloooooow one. Texted the friends we were meeting, and it worked out, as they were running late.

Anyway, whirlwind V & A visit -- followed by an incredibly overpriced afternoon tea at Harrod's (the kids ate very little and were the same price as the adults!), and service was terrible. BUT...
Now our daughters can say they had "tea" at Harrod's, and it was lovely catching up with my friend and her DD whom we've not seen in nearly five years.

After tea we all headed for the underground in the same direction, but they had to change to another line to get to the show and we headed to Kings Cross to go home.

DD had dinner and went to bed... totally wrecked! I think I'll be going to bed soon, too.

MM

I am shattered...

Baked, cleaned, organised, took 7 kids wall climbing (felt like climbing a wall myself), dinner, drinks fountain, cake, ice cream, chocolate fountain, Wii, DVD... and little girls who would not go to sleep!!!! Pancakes and bacon in the morning, a pinata, pack up and clean up...
the last "sleepover" guest left at about 11:30 a.m. -- and I had to to then rush to get showered and dressed to catch the train to London with DD. Missed the "fast train" had to wait 25 minutes for the sloooooow one. Texted the friends we were meeting, and it worked out, as they were running late.

Anyway, whirlwind V & A visit -- followed by an incredibly overpriced afternoon tea at Harrod's (the kids ate very little and were the same price as the adults!), and service was terrible. BUT...
Now our daughters can say they had "tea" at Harrod's, and it was lovely catching up with my friend and her DD whom we've not seen in nearly five years.

After tea we all headed for the underground in the same direction, but they had to change to another line to get to the show and we headed to Kings Cross to go home.

DD had dinner and went to bed... totally wrecked! I think I'll be going to bed soon, too.

MM

Wow...what a hectic few days you have had!! fab organising....you can do my party if u like haha!! Your DD will remember that forever more. Hope your well x x

glad you and your daughter had a good time ,if somewhat tired,what good memories she will have.
p.s. the cakes look soooo good!.xx

Thanks Ruby -- it was made in one of those giant cupcake moulds. It was pretty easy and the kids thought it was cute. I also had a cupcake stand full of cupcakes. (I made two types because of the guests has to eat gluten free.)

MM

wow your daughters birthday sounds fabulous, your certainly went all out and im sure your daughter will remember it forever

Sounds like a great day. I hope you feel really proud of what you have done!

Having worked in Harrod's and seeing what went on in those kitchens (despite our best efforts!) I would never ever eat there! ;-)

Back