MinnieMel is nolonger considers herself a CDer. One final post.

hope you have had a fab thanksgiving. it's almost december, christmas is only round the corner now :) i can't believe the bikes need picking up for the kids xmas pressies on friday! wow!!!!

i got dude's batman pressies from you the other day. i missed the 1st delivery so went to get it from the big post office. it's great, matthew will love having these on his bike and i'm sure emily will be jealous. :) you address wasn't there so i can't send you a card or anything :)

6eb4a04d.gif

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Well, food not fab but not bad.

I was so ill on Thursday (Thanksgiving) that DH cooked some steaks and made dinner for himself and the kids. I tried to have soup and had to dump it.

I was better on Friday (so probably not flu just a bad cold) and managed my dental appointment for a cracked tooth repair (good for my diet as no breakfast before and three hour wait to eat after -- talk about the "Beck Miss a Meal" exercise). Then, I had ran errands and grocery shopped a bit. I heard that people were lined up at Lakenheath's Shop by 6:00 a.m. to get the good Black Friday Deals. Unreal. I had no intention of braving that mess, but apparently they had people line up orderly, then as they were let into the shop they were asked what adveritsed item were they intending to buy, and they were given a coupon with the upc code on it. When the coupons were gone all the items were sold, so no mad rush throuhg the store. You held onto your coupon and gave it to the cashier when you checked out, and were handed the item.

Later, I saw that people were pepper sprayed and even shot in incidents in the U.S. -- all to get a bargain. UGH! They coudl take a lesson from the military stores.

We (Americans) seem to have really forgotten what Christmas IS supposed to be. My son used to complain that we made too much of a fuss at Christmas, when the real celebration should be at Easter (as it is the "rebirth" that is more significant)... I think this is so true. Sorry to preach...

On Friday, I managed to make a lasagna (low carb pasta, lowfat cottage cheese blended to be like ricotta, and low carb pasta -- actually very nice), cooked and glazed the ham, make the roasted potatoes, candied yams (the marshmallows exploded and I have to clean the oven now *sigh*), an apple pie, pumpkin pie, some brussel sprouts, corn, a tossed salad, Hawaiian rolls, and a birthday cake (purchased from the American bakery). My friend came to dinner -- it was her birthday -- and it went well. There was a little sniping at each other (my son and myself) but okay overall. I consumed more calories than usual, but much less than a "normal" Thanksgiving.

I am going to do the roast turkey meal on Sunday. I am hoping to be even more improved by then. Then, it'll be turkey this and turkey that for a few days lol. I am glad that I am planning to try and SS for most days until I get a stone off. I am not trying to SS right now because of the cold medications.

CFF got an email and will see the surgeon (not endrocrinologist -- so, I think they know they have to operate asap and aren't wasting time) on Tuesday. They will redo her MRI, also. They want different views. I am thinking she may go into the hospital for her operation before the 10th. She isn't really saying much about how she feels, etc. -- but I know that she has her gifts out, wrapping paper, went shopping with her DH yesterday, and is going to have him bring the decorations down from the loft tomorrow. I think she is going to try to have everything wrapped, decorated, etc. by Monday night. I keep offering my help, but she says that they are doing okay atm.

Well, I should scan some diaries and get ready to help DD work on her mountain of homework.

Wow an eventful few days sry you havent been feeling well. It sounds like youve gotten loads done though so you get tons of credit! :). Thanksgivving sounded delicious, my miuth was watering the whole time i was reading it.. Funny how you miss that stuff when you can have it lol.
I didnt hear all of what happened black friday in the states, but an.old friend of kine said that his store was the one wih the pepper spray incident lol.. Yeah crazy times at walmart. Glad i was there. My sis works at walmart in kansas and she was in for the later part of the day.. Definitely not a place for some one who is prego :(.
Hope you feel better though, your friend as well. Hope shes not in too much pain or anything. Its funny how we let pride get in the way of accepting help.

Ooo PS do yiu have a recipe for candied yams? Ive been wanting something with sweet potatoes just didnt have any recipes lol :)

Candied Yams

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Wash, peel and but sweet potatoes into chunks. Place in microwave and oven safe dish (I recommend Corningware lol).
  3. Microwave Sweet Potatoes for about 10 minutes.
  4. Distribute butter pieces evenly over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with brown sugar. (Layer with miniature marshmallows.)
  5. Cover and bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have melted.
Note that I bolded the minature -- full size marshmallows blow up and get all over the oven. lol And I add the mashmallows only for the last 10 minutes.

Yaay im excited, i just told the OH that i got the recipe lol. He thinks they sound yuck, but ill convert him (hopefully or il jusy have them myself lol)

Here's my meatloaf recipe:

STUFFED ROLLED MEATLOAF

Loaf

1 1/2 lb. ground beef (lean as possible)
1/4 c. Italian Bread Crumbs (Whole Wheat is better or Oatmeal)
2 eggs (beaten) or eggbeaters
1-2 Tbsp. of A1 or other

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. chopped onion (optional)
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley (or 1/4 cup dried)

Filling
Sliced Ham (smoked, honey roast, etc. as lean as possible)
Sliced Cheese (pepper jack, cheddar, Swiss, etc. your choice -- low fat is better)
Spinach or chopped broccoli (if frozen thaw first -- if fresh rinse and microwave a bit to soften)

Directions
1. In large mixing bowl, blend beef, crumbs, eggs and seasonings. Mix until well blended.
2. Tear a piece of aluminum foil about 24 inches long and lay flat. Pat meat mixture to make a rectangle 8 x 12 inches(ish).
3. Layer ham, cheese and then green vegetable onto meat.
4. Roll as for a jelly roll starting with a 8-inch side, making a compact roll. Simply lift up the foil to start meat rolling. Turn meat roll into center of foil, lift into pan and use foil to cover.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. If desired -- you can uncover meatloaf about 45 minutes into cooking and pour tomato sauce or a can of vegetable soup over it.
6. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

Oo that sounds really nice ill have to see if the fam want to try that next time :). Can you believe no one in this fam have tried spinach before the week before last when i got some!? Crazy lol

Did you hear on the news the women of the UK are the fattest in Europe (with about 1/4 being obese) and the UK men second onlhy to Malta!

But, they eat the most vegetables? Know why? They counted potatoes (i.e. chips) as vegetables! Unreal!

Haha if they did count the OH wouldnt need any help.. Yea the brits sure love their chips

mmmmmmmmm, chips! sorry folks but candied yams..... :jelous: sounds really sweet lol! pumpkin pie on the other hand.....:D

mmmmmmmmm, chips! sorry folks but candied yams..... :jelous: sounds really sweet lol! pumpkin pie on the other hand.....:D

They are very sweet... but also yummy!

Did you hear on the news the women of the UK are the fattest in Europe (with about 1/4 being obese) and the UK men second onlhy to Malta!

But, they eat the most vegetables? Know why? They counted potatoes (i.e. chips) as vegetables! Unreal!

Well technically . . . :D;)

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Well, I need to figure out how long the turkey needs to cook in order to have my Sunday Thanksgiving lunch ready for between 1 and 2 p.m. today.

DD has loads of homework to finish up, as well.

So, a quick check of the diaries and then off to the kitchen.

I am having my porridge, coffee, will start my water and am using my light box as I do this.

maybe i need to invest in a light box as i've got some major grumps going on.

i got up early again this morning to let hubby lie in. 6.30am. he got up after 8am. turned on the tv to his programme, left a mess in the kitchen then ignored the kids complaining. i left the room.... i'd had enough.

Mmmmm - turkey - my all time fave food. Hope it goes well for you honey. (chuck the leftovers at me, will you?) :8855: xx

Sounds busy, but a good day.. Enjoy your yummy turkey, i hope youre feeling better today mel!

Ps i keep wanting to ask, what is a light box :p

Hi Nikki, Yvonne, Page and Shanny,

The turkey was perfect -- it was a Butterball (Page knows that means, I am sure). It was moist and tasty (so, Shanny, no MAM today).

We had a rerun of Thursday on some of the side dishes -- but this time there was stuffing balls, more candied Yams (but I cut the marshmallows into quarters and put the pan in the bigger oven -- so no explosion to clear up), salad, brussel sprouts, corn, three-bean salad, pie, chocolate cake, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc.

I am soooo tired between my cold and all the cooking and cleaning -- and DD had to finished up her big DT project, and she came home Friday with math homework and a huge science experiment thing that had to be done by Monday! She was exhausted. She showered and went to bed as soon as she finished (about 1 1/2 hours early).

I am planning to get on track tomorrow (with the CD, fitness, to dos, etc. -- between the cold and American Thanksgiving feeding fest -- I am afraid that on Thursday I may have another STS. And, I need to get going on the downsizing.

I hope everyone had a lovely Sunday.

Mel

Im sure if you keep on track youll have a good WI. Mm butterball, fancy shmancy eh? Lol glad that you had a good but now you need some rest to get yourself back to normal. Have a good night mel!

Back