Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - mango

jen3

Silver Member
Bought some at Tesco this week (reduced - 2 for 89p!!) and they are blummin lovely. Pain to cut up but had one last night covered in natural fromage frais and it was ORGASMIC!!!!!!!

Has anyone had the frozen - is it any good?

I prefer fresh mango! My dad used to import fresh mangoes from India and sell them on to the local shops, they were PUKKA! Wait another month, go to an Indian shop if there is one near you, have a look for 'Kesar' mangoes - you will never go back to Tesco :p

I'm not sure it would work to put fresh mango into the freezer, I think the frozen stuff if frozen rapidly, so as not to make it mushy. Might be worth a try with a bit though, nothing to lose but a few pieces of mango!

I love mango - There's a trick to cutting it though: Cut one of the flatter sides off, getting your knife close to the stone. Then on the piece you've cut off, slice into the flesh, up until the skin into diamond patterns. Then push the underside of the skin so the diamonds pop out, then just cut them off. Once the other side is done there's only a bit around the edge of the stone to cut off.

If its as good as the pineapple one its defo worth getting - will take a look

i have bought some frozen mango today from tesco, it is defrosting at the minute to have after my roast. i will let you know what it is like ...

Aldi do great punnets of frozen fruit but no mango that I've seen so far.

I always seem to waste such a lot of the flesh so a special cutter sounds great. Is that Lakeland/Betterware??

I've just had a look at one on the Lakeland site and tbh it doesnt get good write ups - think I'm going to persevere with the knife and try Jens method above.

Would be interested to hear your views on the frozen stuff Northern Lass

the mango was 3 tubs for £5, quite large tubs of fruit ( ice cream size) and a choice of fruit. I defrosted a small bowl and actually it was quite nice, not the same as a fresh mango, obviously, but very nice all the same. i bet it would be lovley mixed with natural yoghurt. well worth having some in the freezer if you have room.

Am going to get some today to try it. And someone at work said the mango cutters were fine so will try one of those too

I eat a lot of frozen fruit, it can be really good btu it depends what you're going to do with eat. I have fruit and fat free yoghurt for breakfast every day so every evening I fill a small container with yoghurt and whatever frozen fruit I want. Its defrosted by the morning and the juice flavours the yoghurt - this is better with frozen fruit than fresh. But I wouldn't defrost the fruit and eat it on its own.

I love mango which is good because we've got a mango tree in the garden! I use the method jennyonaplate uses and it works well for me and I am extremely cack-handed and somewhat dangerous with a knife, so if I can manage probably just about anyone can :rotflmao:

I want a mango tree!!!!!!! Am very jealous. When we lived in Oz we had a lemon tree....not particularly handy - all the kids in the street used to come around when their mums were making pancakes!!!!

Oooh I love mango! May have to buy a cutter, I never seem to cut loads off with a knife. The pineapple cutter is amazing! That was definitey a good buy :)

I want a mango tree!!!!!!! Am very jealous. When we lived in Oz we had a lemon tree....not particularly handy - all the kids in the street used to come around when their mums were making pancakes!!!!

We have a lemon tree too and the only time I find it useful is when we have fish from the fish and chip shop ..... which isn't very SW friendly, but yummy nonetheless :D

Back