MSN Article - Very interesting!

bakerfa

Silver Member
The #1 Weight Loss Secret - Diet & Fitness - MSN Health & Fitness

I've just read this & I believe it's true.

I have this belief that if I cheat/binge which happens sometimes (most weekends!) that it's my fault, I must grin & bear the consequences if I put weight on, and for me that's where the guilt stops... End of story. However I've occasionally read on here about people who are so sickened by their guilt over eating that they eat for comfort or to assuage their guilt...

Let me know what you think?

Like this article VERY much.

If we all thought like this, would any one every get overweight? Hopefully by the time I reach goal, I can reach this place in my head as well. Congratulating myself for every day that I spend being good to myself by sticking to something thats going to get me where I want to be!

This is why I've failed at WW previously - oh, well, I've cheated now, I might as well eat the contents of the entire kitchen.

No more!

I absolutely agree with this Anja and even posted something along those lines the other day about emotional eating.

I've noticed that there's nothing really unusual about it as a 'human behaviour' and that even thin people do it ... it's how a person reacts AFTER it that makes the difference. A thin person would eat a tub of Ben & Jerry's because they had a terrible day then simply forget about it the next day (the ice-cream having served its purpose) and continue with a normal diet. I, on the other hand, would eat the Ben & Jerry's, feel guilty because I'd 'been a pig' so reinforced that thought by eating even more. Then the next day, I'd carry the guilt around and feel an utter gluttonous failure (cue pizza & chocolate).

Doing CD has made me realise that my way of thinking needed a total 're-wire' and being a part of this community has helped me begin that process.

Thanks for the article Anja! :)

What an excellent article Anja and so very relevant. I binge myself about twice a week and undo completely the good 5 days i've had. For me it is all about self indulgence, i see it as a treat - but of course its not a treat because i feel so darned awful for days afterwards!! Self kindness is a much better phrase and one i'm going to try and focus on. Next time i have the urge to binge i will ask myself if this is a kind thing to do to myself - answer NO!

Thanks for that Anja, it's really got me thinking....

Karen,

That's still deprivation. "A little bit of what you want does you good". My favourite "treat" these days is a mini aero, it's basically 1/6 of a normal one in a separate wrapper & I have one in my lunchbox everyday. Because I have chocolate every day I don't crave it as much & it's only 59 cals so I don't feel the tiniest bit guilty about it either. Even if I had a "binge" I'd have to eat at least 6 to have the equivalent of a chocolate bar! Unwrapping too many wrappers makes me feel like I'm pigging out more than the taste of the chocolate - not good sitting on the sofa surrounded by wrappers!

Does that sound weird or what!?

Anja i can identify with that - but i would go to the shop and by a tenner's worth of rubbish to scoff if i was in binge mode!

Deprivation for me is good - i did LL for 8 months without a morsel of food, and i found it sooooooo easy! If i could've stayed abstinent for the rest of my life i'd have been happy.

If i eat one grape outside of my plan, it sends me into binge mode. Seriously.

For me it's about learning about me and what makes me good and what makes me bad (eating wise). I am on 3 ll packs with a healthy meal at night until i get this 10lbs off. Then i'll prob stick with 3 ll packs (i need the control) and add some more fruit in to the day and maybe have sunday's off the regime...

A very thought provoking article, and something that obviously speaks to a lot of us. Anyone know someone good at brain rewiring?! :rolleyes:

Karen,

That's still deprivation. "A little bit of what you want does you good". My favourite "treat" these days is a mini aero, it's basically 1/6 of a normal one in a separate wrapper & I have one in my lunchbox everyday. Because I have chocolate every day I don't crave it as much & it's only 59 cals so I don't feel the tiniest bit guilty about it either. Even if I had a "binge" I'd have to eat at least 6 to have the equivalent of a chocolate bar! Unwrapping too many wrappers makes me feel like I'm pigging out more than the taste of the chocolate - not good sitting on the sofa surrounded by wrappers!

Does that sound weird or what!?

Hi,

My husband can eat chocolate like this when he used to eat it, he has gone off it altogether now and does not even like the taste of it.

Chocolate when presented in a shape of a box of chocolates to me only means one thing and that is...eat all the nice ones first and then go back and eat all the ones I don't even like.

I have seldom felt guilty about over eating...that happens when I put weight on and don't have something that fits or is nice to wear.

I do believe in being gentle and loving with yourself is a key to the whole process in keeping the weight off.

Having been reading the majority of self help books since my early thirties...I feel one of the dangers I have found is being over simplistic...if they held the answer we would not have some new self help book coming out every week...saying more or less the same thing...What I feel they can do is increase the feeling of uselessness and can once again lead to another way to set you up to failure!!!

If I can't love myself like the way the say in the books or I can't forgive myself or others as such an such a guru has done, then that makes me all wrong...

The cycle of failure is ingrained even further and is not alleviated.

For in order to love yourself you have to feel it and in order to feel it you have to feel you are worth it and in order to feel you are worth it you have to have self esteem and in order to have self esteem you have to have self respect and in order to have self respect you have to love yourself, it is hard to love yourself when you see little hope of anything ever changing...

Finding a thread into this dilemma begins by finding a thread to unravel the cycle failure and self-loathing...

In my case it finding a solution that actually worked in helping me shift my weight and that was Lipotrim it was working and then I got hope and from hope springs all possibilities.

I'm with Karen on this one - I can do SSing no bother (well a little bother but not much at all in comparison to stopping myself eating once I've started).

I would LOVE to get my head around being self-kind and allowing myself to eat what I want and losing weight as a reaction to not depriving myself, but I have to be honest and say I just don't get it.

Whenever I've tried to do that - and it's been many, many times in my life - I've not had the trigger button that switches off when I've had enough. Yes, I can do it for a few days and then it snowballs, especially if I'm having an emotionally draining time.

I get ANGRY that I put on weight when I eat what I fancy. The child in me has a right old tantrum and so I rebel by eating more.

So I think I'm a bit thick......lol!

I think that it's about tresting yourself. I used to binge because I was 'treating myself' and then as I'd failed I would just carry on.

Then one day I realised that I was treating myself, but treating myself badly!

Now I try to eat something if I want it, but not to binge. MY binge mentality was partly a siege mentality - eat it all now, becuse after this you'll have to be perfect and this will NEVER happen again. I now know that I will treat myself badly sometimes and binge, I will want rubbish food and I'll have it when I want it, but I don't have to eat it all now as I can have it later. Knowing I can have it later if I want without chatterbox recriminations makes a big difference.

Now I just have to get over my losing the last 12lbs fear of success and I'm sorted!

I'm with Karen on this one - I can do SSing no bother (well a little bother but not much at all in comparison to stopping myself eating once I've started).

Whenever I've tried to do that - and it's been many, many times in my life - I've not had the trigger button that switches off when I've had enough. Yes, I can do it for a few days and then it snowballs, especially if I'm having an emotionally draining time.

I get ANGRY that I put on weight when I eat what I fancy. The child in me has a right old tantrum and so I rebel by eating more.

So I think I'm a bit thick......lol!

Hi Isobel,

I think if I did not put on weight I would not have any issue with food or over eating what so ever:D :D :D I love eating...

And yes I felt my trigger button for when I was full got broken somehow:( but I feel it is getting fixed as I do get the full feeling now and very quickly I might add, so I guess it is about not pushing that and breaking it again:rolleyes:

Love Mini xxx

I used to binge because I was 'treating myself' and then as I'd failed I would just carry on.

Then one day I realised that I was treating myself, but treating myself badly!

Beautifully put and so true :)

That is a good article, Anja, and the posts commenting on it are very interesting.
I saw a TV programme not long ago where whatever this person ate, a duplicate was pinned to the outside of her clothes, and she had to go out so that all the world could see what she had eaten.
I use this inside my head now. Would I like rubbish food pinned to me on view? ( in my case, before, it would have involved loads of cheese on toast, some pork pies, bacon sandwiches and bottles of Bacardi!) No, so why put it on the inside.
It's little psychological tricks like this that can make all the difference.
Ann x

A really good article by geneen roth, i have a book by her "when food is love" and that of it which i have read is very good!!

there are so many issues around food that can affect us at any time, i do sometimes feel bogged down by all we need to focus on and i think just being "kind" to ones self , once you truely understand what that means, could be the key to the door of freedom from the enemy( food!!). it is my aim to try to see food as nourishment and try to detach all other "connections" with it, bit by bit i believe i will get there, 2 steps forward and 1 step back but better than standing still!!

Back