Wow did this for lunch today using red lentils and used 168g of reduced fat cheddar, it was just divine! Will definitely be making this again.

Was so nice I actually used 2 healthy extras on it and had half the loaf! Mmmmmm!

Thanks again for the recipe :)

Gave husband this recipe and he made it for me last night - was sooo yummy!! Will definately be trying this one again! Thanks!!x

Yay! Glad you like it :)

I've really gone off mushrooms recently (normally love them to death!) I hope i get to like them again very soon! I love this recipe :)

Wow! I just noticed your baby ticker. How wonderful. Congratulations!! :) x

My mum does not like mushrooms, but I think she might even like this. It has the taste of Sarah Brown's cashew and parsnip loaf and she likes that. I think it is the marmite and herbs that does it as they both have that. I used half a tsp of dried rosemary and thyme each in your loaf. Because of the nutty syns, Sarah's loaf is a Christmas Day only treat, but your loaf could be a weekly roast :)

Thanks silly :)

I've not been following sw much since i found out due to sickness :( Strictly toast and marmite for me at the moment!

I was thinking it might be nice if you added yellow pepper into the mixture?
Also if your mum doesn't like mushrooms, maybe replace the mushrooms with roasted mixed veggies?

Nut roast mmmmmm i only have it at xmas too hehe...i have a lovely recipe, i'll share it here just incase you want to make it for xmas. It's the nommiest of all noms!

Luxury five nut roast

by Celia Brooks Brown

Prep time:
15 min
Cook time:
45 min
Serves:
Difficulty:
easy
Vegetarians get a five-star Christmas main dish with this special five-nut treat

Ingredients

250 g mixed nuts, (walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews)
100 g shallots, (about 4 small or 0.5 banana shallot), finely chopped
400 g canned chopped tomatoes
1 eggs, beaten
100 g gruyère cheese, or mature cheddar cheese, grated
0.5 tsp dried thyme
0.5 tsp dried sage
0.5 tsp dried mint
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp Marmite, or other yeast extract blended with 1 tsp boiling water
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 pinches black pepper
1 cubes butter, for greasing tin
Method

1. Place the nuts in a dry frying pan over a moderate flame. Toast, stirring gently, until golden and fragrant, taking care not to burn. Remove to a bowl and leave to cool.

2. Whizz in a food processor until thoroughly ground.

3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Generously grease a loaf tin with butter.

4. In a large bowl, combine the ground nuts with all remaining ingredients. Mix very thoroughly.

5. Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until firm and golden. Cool slightly, then turn out.

Blimey, that has nuts AND cheese in it! I thought my recipe was synful LOL Looks delicious though so will take a copy thanks :D

Sorry to hear about your sickness. Hopefully it is a first trimester only glitch and you will soon be feeling fab and back on plan :) x

Cashew and Parsnip Nut Roast
from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen.

1 tbs oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
8ozs cashew nuts
4ozs breadcrumbs
1 egg
3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed with a little butter
1 teas fresh rosemary or half a teaspoon dried
1 teas fresh thyme or half a teas dried
1 teas yeast extract
quarter pint hot water or stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1oz butter
8ozs mushrooms, chopped
butter for greasing tin

Preheat oven to 350F
Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
Grind the cashew nuts, then mix with the breadcrumbs.
Beat the egg and add it to the dry ingredients, then mix in the mashed parsnips and herbs.
Add the fried onion, being sure to scrape the pan so that all the juices go in as nut roasts can sometimes be a bit dry
Dissolve the yeast extract in hot water or stock and add to the other ingredients.
Season well.
Melt the butter in the frying pan and sauté the chopped mushrooms until soft.
Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter, then press in half the nut mixture.
Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the rest of the nut mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
When cooked, remove the loaf from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before turning it out. Serve hot or cold.

Mmmm sounds good :D If yours is mega syns, mine is gigantanourmous syns! Tastes damn good though & you get about 8-10 slices i'd say- too rich otherwise.

Blimey, that has nuts AND cheese in it! I thought my recipe was synful LOL Looks delicious though so will take a copy thanks :D

Sorry to hear about your sickness. Hopefully it is a first trimester only glitch and you will soon be feeling fab and back on plan :) x

I'm REALLY hoping it goes soon :jelous: - i am literally stuck to the sofa! Fingers crossed i can get back on plan soon..i miss it :D

Aaaaw, have you tried ginger tea? It is supposed to be good for nausea and is syn free. Either tea bags or just a bit of root ginger in hot water.

When I was pregnant I used to eat ginger nuts - not quite the same :rolleyes:

Yeah tried ginger tea, didn't seem to work..i just feel like i have a hangover without the fun hehe I'm trying to eat little of often- that seems to work, crackers and marmite are good too :D I might actually try ginger nuts! Not great for sw but hey if it makes me feel better :)

Congratulations on your little lime. lol. I was sick with my last baby all the way through but eating little but often and strong flavours work best. Good luck and I will be trying this gorgeous recipe. Thanks.

Hi Grumble

Hope you are feeling less queasy today :) x

I made your loaf again last night (for scientific reasons you understand! :eek:) I was not convinced about the "serves 4" part of the recipe :p as it is too yummy, so I tweaked it a bit.

I substituted the 112g of regular cheddar for 84g of reduced fat cheddar (Cathedral City Lighter) and it did not impact noticeably on the flavour or texture. Added all the cheese to the mix and none on top at the end. This made it 1 hexA or 1 hexB on green for half the loaf (oink oink!)

Thank you for your scientific tests :giggle::tongue:
I understand it must have been hard for you....well done for getting through it :D

I will try this way when i get my mushroom taste again! Fingers crossed it will be soon!!!

You need an award for strength and courage!

Here have a potato

mrpotatohead.jpg

:D

Back