My Atkins Diary.... here we go!

Morning Kizzi love, welcome back on the wagon

I've started writing a book.. of sorts... kind of like life as a sugar addict .. the similarities of being any other kind of drug addict, alcohol, cocaine etc... THe way being an addict alienates you from society...how being an addict starts off with small doses until it's like a raging steam train where the need to keep the addiction a secret becomes a major part of the day, further alienating you from everyone around you as you become more and more reclusive to feed your habit. It shows how excuses become more frequent as you justify every morsel that goes into your mouth.. how you'll have many 'last days before you start your diet tomorrow'...It also shows how many days starting new diet programmes fail by the time the evening comes....

Sugar might not be as destructive as alcohol or drugs. but it certainly is as destructive to the soul.. waking up the next morning after a sugar/carbs binge and feeling that regret, and even suffering a sugar hangover... there are similarities...

**It's something to read when I"m feeling low and weak.. and want to justify my trip to the supermarket or corner store to buy a basket of goodies (which, I've had to justify to the check out girl, or people in line that the goodies are for 'the kids'...because NO normal person would eat so unhealthily these days).......IF YOU'VE GOT TO DO IT IN SECRET THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT AT ALL..
If you have to justify yourself.. you probably shouldn't be doing it at all either...

My gym training starts again tonight.. I've been out of it for 6 weeks now... which hasn't helped.. my trainer hasn't contacted me in 2 weeks.. (since my bingeing started) and my real life has been at an all time low (with stresses upon stresses).. this was the only thing I could control.. and in a strange way I think eating 'what the heck I wanted' was my own very odd way of dealing with it..

Anyway... I think I should be getting a reward of how many times I've jumped back on the wagon.. just wish they were longer rides than just 2 weeks!.. One day at a time.. here we go. again.

I actually believe carbs are addictive Kizzie.

they really are.. and they're damaging the soul as much as any other drug they should be treated as such.. hence my 'on and off the wagon' ... comments, it's a shame society doesn't see it this way...

I agree Kizzie, still banning carbs would decimate the bread and cake industry

I guess some people aren't addicted. I know when I used to smoke (I was up to 40 a day!).. I was actually a habitual smoker. I was able to quit overnight. I was told I wasn't an addicted smoker. I know now how hard it is to quit when you're addicted. ... you can live without illegal drugs.. you can live without alcohol you can live without nicotine... I guess I need to figure out how to live without carbs... they're everywhere!

oooh why werent you an addicted and a habitual??? im just reading alan carrs book on how to quit...

I really enjoyed smoking.. I found I didn't 'need' it, or crave it like I do with sugar. I could just quit.. without thinking anymore of it. Instead -because of the habit- it was social situations and the times I'd gotten used to smoking that I needed to find something else to do.. ie.. Mornings I would have a cig on the balcony with a coffee.. (didn't smoke in the house) so I'd have my coffee and watch the morning news... out with friends in bars I'd smoke.. (drink in one hand.. cig in the other.. ) so I needed something to do with my other hand.. in which case I'd fiddle with my watch or play with my necklace!.... all these are habitual... I SHOULD have been addicted to the nicotine, considering how much I smoked.. I just wasn't. (luckily)... just not so lucky with sugar.

How do you find the vlcd? does your body tolerate the switching?

I've been back on track for four days now.. but wondered why I wasn't in ketosis! .. found out last night that when I bought six packs of six jellos.. assorted flavours.. one of the blood packages was FULL sugar.. I just picked them all up off the shelf at the same time and put them in the trolley... i ate FOUR of the six over two days.. but I'm mad!.. 17g of carbs in each one!.. never mind..

today's menu
Breakfast: Dark Chocolate Atkins shake.
Lunch:Avocado, tuna and boiled egg salad with mayo and mixed lettuce leaves (lots of cracked black pepper)..
Snack: two mozarella string cheeses and three really thin beef sticks
Dinner: cottage pie (minced lamb and mushrooms, topped with mashed cauliflower/collard greens/butter/Wensleydale, Cheddar combo 1oz.. and some cream
Dessert: TWO sugar free 0 carb jellos with whipped cream and a spoonful of coconut oil .. whipped up together.. LOVELY!

Morning Kizzie :( I'd be mad as well love, that's so unlucky

It was foolish Jim... that's what you get for not checking EVERYTHING even if you think you're good..
It hasn't deterred me though.. I'm still going strong. will weigh in on Sunday.

Breakfast: Dark Chocolate Atkins Shake
Snack: Beef sticks and SF Ginger Ale

During school: Coffee with stevia and cream

Lunch: scrambled eggs

Dinner: 1/3 pound cheeseburger (without bun obviously)... and salad.
Dessert: SF JEllo and cream.

Lots of liquids throughout the day

Hi Kizzie
Good to see you again. Just back from my hols and really enjoyed my crystal light cocktails keeping me off the fruit juice - thanks for the tip (way back!) :)

Anyone in the uk know if we can get all the crystal light yummy flavours here?

Glad to hear you had a good holiday and the Crystal Light helped.. it's a godsend right. .and SOOO good!..

Thanks for the welcome back.. I haven't really been anywhere. just hovering and reading.. although for those two weeks of total carbs engorgement I did avoid it for the sheer guilt!.. but I'm trying.. Maybe one day it will become habit..

I heard a great phrase the other day.. 'You are never as far away from good health as your next choice.'..

Morning Kizzie love

Morning Jim!... Thankfully I'm losing the silly pounds I gained on my two week carb binge.. and I reached a personal (non weight loss) goal today.. My trainer has been rehabbing my knees for the last six months so I can at last get onto some serious cardio/fat burning routines.. I did my very first STAIRMASTER today.. he said I was ready.. I was nervous.. but did it.. He's really quite pumped at getting me going again!.. so this should certainly help get these pounds off!

Hi Kizzie, good to hear from you. Well done losing and congrats on your next rehab step :)
Xxxx

Morning Kizzie love, that's good news on both counts then :)

Stayed away because I failed again.. vowed not to come back until I'd passed a full week.. and I have.. day 8 is ending now.. i"m in Spain.. and I"ve lost 9 pounds this week... on a roll again!.. This is the furthest I've come with Atkins this year.. Still know it's the one for me.. Weigh in again next Friday.

Back