My Atkins Diary.... here we go!

Hey Kizzie - hope you can find the path that suits. I do think avoiding all sweetners can really help. Can't solve the water taste problem though!
Xxx

Ok! I"m back.. ha.. not really had any weight loss successes but i guess not gaining it all back is counted as a success right?.. I've gained some.. but having started two family members on Atkins at the beginning of Jan (they've both lost 14 pounds each).. I'm obviously still stuck in that sweetener, cheese, cream rut.. so I've come back read through my old diary.. about to head over to lovely Jim's sticky and RE-LEARN.. I've got a holiday in California coming up in April, I want to be healthy and happy when I go.. so it's time (once again!! ) to tackle this thing.. and maybe THIS time I'll come out as champion and leave the bad habits behind :)

:I've posted a new diary.. but I think I"ll just keep on with this one..

Mini Goal 1: End February 200's
Mini Goal 2: End March 190's
Mini Goal 3: April holiday 180s
Week 1.
Week 2.
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5

Welcome back Kizzie - and I like the goals, they look very achievable to me :)

Thank you and thank you for replying! How's it all going with you?
My father has now lost 17 pounds since starting two months ago and I've been up and down.. weighed in at 217 this morning.. gggrrrr… The difference is that he's busy all day and not grazing. I think I need some new hobbies! It sucks waiting for work (I'm a relief teacher hoping to be full time soon.. it's driving me crazy not working.. all the stresses and worries that go along with it)… and i reach for sweet things when I'm stressed. Still, not an excuse.. I"m the head cook at my parents house (living at home until I am able to get my own place- more stress!).. so my father is losing with the meals i'm cooking.. so that's a good sign that things are right with the recipes, just my naughty hands picking when they shouldn't be.

Will weigh in again tomorrow and see where I'm at.

I"ve just spent the evening trawling through the site. KATIE! wowweeeeee.. You're a complete inspiration. To think I was chatting to you at the beginning of your weight loss journey.. you've done so well. I"ve read almost all of your entire diary. .. so I"m well and truly inspired to keep it up. I think that was a problem of mine (ongoing battle) to not give in and give up. Now I have my family doing this with me it should be easier with support. I"ve already lost 3 stones.. just another 3 to go. DO-ABLE!..

So today's food diary:
B Bacon and Eggs
L Half avocado, roast turkey with garlic/parsley sour cream and salad
D Beef curry with cauliflower rice and green beans
s SF jelly and cream

Three stone - that is a major achievement hun!

There's a lot to learn from Katie's thread, she kept her focus, and still does (which is where I'm rubbish) and that's how she has been so successful - that, and an OH who loves cooking yummy things too :D

Hi Susie, it seems that focus is the key ingredient to this diet. lol. .. Having read Katie's journal and a few others, I really feel I have to log in here every day to keep optimistic and feel supported. . I"ve logged it now as my homepage.

How's it all going for you?
Louise

Hi Kizzie, welcome back:)
I've been a bit awol this week so nice to see that my diary/story is helpful! And yes of course you can do it - go girl!

Tbh it's not like i run around eating "normally" like other people - i'm low carb all the time. Frankly when i eat wheat and sugar i feel awful:( But you know, the food is good, we enjoy cooking and eating, going out, partying and drinking:D ok i'm not skinny but i am at my goal and can buy and wear pretty clothes!

Life generally good and if you have support from family even better. I try not to get jealous of men like Jim or my DH though - they can carb up gain a few, carb down lose it all whereas i have to be a bit more focused.

Look forward to watching your success
X

Thank you Katie :) I'm learning to check in a few times a day to keep me motivated, it really does help to read these diaries, of the ups and downs people have and how they (YOU!!) keep going and going.. without giving up :)

I went shopping with Mum today and we filled our trolley with lots of lovely low carb friendly ingredients. So we're both raring to go on this. I've been adding a splash of diet cordial (zero carbs)to my water but I've felt a bit bloated after drinking it. Really trying to drink plain water but it's still an ongoing struggle.. My head is in it now.. I just don't want to sabotage all the good work by having a diet/low carb drink that reacts badly to my system.. I'll see how the weight loss goes this week.

So my food diary today as follows:
B: Bacon and eggs
L: prawns and avocado with a dollop of mayo
D: Courgette soup followed by cheeseburger pie and broccoli
S: cheese cubes, pepperami
Sugar free jelly and cream later on.
W: 1 litre (not enough.. but trying!)..
First day without coffee or tea.

DAY TWO = DONE!

Thank you Katie :) I'm learning to check in a few times a day to keep me motivated, it really does help to read these diaries, of the ups and downs people have and how they (YOU!!) keep going and going.. without giving up :)

I went shopping with Mum today and we filled our trolley with lots of lovely low carb friendly ingredients. So we're both raring to go on this. I've been adding a splash of diet cordial (zero carbs)to my water but I've felt a bit bloated after drinking it. Really trying to drink plain water but it's still an ongoing struggle.. My head is in it now.. I just don't want to sabotage all the good work by having a diet/low carb drink that reacts badly to my system.. I'll see how the weight loss goes this week.

So my food diary today as follows:
B: Bacon and eggs
L: prawns and avocado with a dollop of mayo
D: Courgette soup followed by cheeseburger pie and broccoli
S: cheese cubes, pepperami
Sugar free jelly and cream later on.
W: 1 litre (not enough.. but trying!)..
First day without coffee or tea.

DAY TWO = DONE!

Thank you Susie :) I'm doing my best to tackle it day by day and meal by meal! lol. I"m planning and trying to stick with my meal plans etc. I am trying to keep in my mind that this really is a new way of life and that it will be a better, healthier and more enjoyable way of life.. no more bloated, awfully full feelings after eating pasta, potatoes etc.. so yummy, yet so uncomfortable! I"m glad there are so many delicious Atkins and low carb recipes.

Today's menu went like this :)
Breakfast: Atkins shake (I was called in for relief at 7am so had to scoot out quickly)
Lunch: A couple of Pepperami and one Babybel cheese
Dinner: Cream of green vegetable soup (courgette and broccoli) with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of parmesan
half an avocado chopped with a tin of mackerel and some spinach leaves (a makeshift salad I guess!) and a small gem squash (not sure of the carb value of the squash.. looked online but our internet crashed) with butter.
Snack: 1 'Simply Less' Dark chocolate/peppermint bar (20g 2grams of Carbs -although it states 2 grams of fibre??) So I'm adding that as 2 net carbs? is that right? or should it be 4??)
Water: 2 litres Hurrah!
Exercise: half an hour walking up and down our pool. Walking around school all day! (does that count?) plus I never sit down when I teach.
Alcohol: none (rarely drink but when I do, it's a bottle of wine or a few glasses of sherry/port! lol)

A good day. Looking forward to the first weigh in. Feel full and satisfied, bloated with all the liquids today. Not missing white carbs.. and hardly touched the black coffee with 1 Equal I made at recess ….

Encouraging day happy to keep it going:).. Lunch is packed for tomorrow's relief day: tuna and mayonnaise and an Atkins shake for breakfast.

Hmm dunno love without seeing the label - bit hard, as you're in WA, and we can't get that chocolate here (wahhh) :D

Menu sounds good - planning really is the key! And well done on the water, keep it going.

Thanks Susie! You're always around when I need you!! :) I've just found 'myfitnesspal'… hurrah! what a great site! I found the bar on there and it is 2 carbs :).. BUT I've also logged in all of that food to find I went over my 20g of carbs by 11 !!!!.. 31grams.. bugger! LOL.. at least now I can really count instead of 'guestimating!"…on the plus side, I only ate 948 calories :) which is incredible really as I'm really full!. Must be all that water.

Looking forward to tomorrow when I'll be really back on track :) still feel positive now I have another fab tool at my fingertips..
Onwards and upwards.. ooops.. that should be downwards right? !! :)

LOL I'm here - because I should be working but can't be bothered :D But always glad to help :)

MFP is fab, it is so easy to assume you're inside your allowances. Be very vigilant - especially with things like sauces and mayo, in fact any shop bought stuff, because it can vary wildly in carb content. I now pronounce you "Label Detective" :D

Last edited:
ha! thank you. I do generally read the labels of everything now, I have just been miscalculating serving sizes and believing that 'eating cheese is ok, cream is ok and watery veggies i.e. courgettes are ok in abundance.. WRONG!.. Glad I figured it all out now with My Fitness Pal!..

*I should be sleeping! I took a sleep aid two hours ago and it's just past midnight here.. oops.. alarm will go off at 7 and I'll be knackered! a full day of relief teaching tomorrow.. teenagers + tiredness= FUN (sense the sarcasm?) ;)

Glad you're procrastinating on this board! Gives me motivation (yes, I need motivation this late at night!)

Hi kizzie, hope you got some sleep! Well worth using MFp but do keep an eye on the numbers as sometimes details are entered wrong by other users. Label detectives r us!

Thanks Katie! I'll be vigilant. I'll have to cross reference a few things I think. i.e. the Gem pumpkin/squash. I"m sure it's more carby than the site states..

Going well today looking forward to the weigh in.. (so many bathroom breaks!)

:)

Weighed in this morning - one week since starting.. I'll change my weigh in to Sundays from now on though.

Lost SIX POUNDS :) hurrah. Not bad considering I've been doing it wrong some days! Thankfully for MFP I"m back on track and hope to see a good loss next week too. It certainly helps being busy all day teaching teens, running all over the school. No time to graze!

Breakfast: Atkins Shake
Lunch: Can of tuna in brine with spoonful of full fat mayo and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese
Snack: Half a cup of black coffee with one Equal
Dinner: Roast chicken breast wrapped in bacon, cheese and garlic sauce, mushrooms with green beans
Dessert: Mousse (SF jelly and cream whipped to death. Yum)
Snack: Pork rinds with bacon dip
Water: Not enough yet (500mls)
Exercise: Half an hour walking in the pool and walking around school.
Alcohol: Zero

Mindset: Happy, positive, motivated and energized :)

*will try to add leafy veggies to packed lunch in future.

Last edited:
Mindset: Happy, positive, motivated and energized :)

*will try to add leafy veggies to packed lunch in future.

YAYE to the loss, that's a really great week 1 loss, Kizzie! and yaye to the mindset - that's the way to do it :)

Also well done to sneaking in the ps about leafy greens, that's the only thing i would change about your menus.

Back