My couscous cake is a disaster :(

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
I'm not sure if its supposed to be how it turned out. I had to use a pyrex dish as i have no tins, but its kinda doughy and i added some baking power but it didn't rise and its very heavy :mad: What did i do wrong?

Now i have nothing to take to the party at WI tonight :(

lol Good plan,
I actually just tasted it and its rather nice, almost like a stodgy bread pudding i used to have at school. Will make it again over xmas for snacking

Sorry about your cous cous cake hun, i have never tried to make it before. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be though.

It does turn out like that - couscous doesn't rise hun, it just stays the same as it is after you soak it in the boiling water. It is rather stodgy stuff :)

It's a pain polenta isn't free on green days, on ww core could make better cakes with that, used to make a frangipan cake which was yummy. Free on their plan but not on this one, ah well lol

It does turn out like that - couscous doesn't rise hun, it just stays the same as it is after you soak it in the boiling water. It is rather stodgy stuff :)

It's a pain polenta isn't free on green days, on ww core could make better cakes with that, used to make a frangipan cake which was yummy. Free on their plan but not on this one, ah well lol

Hi there

Polenta is free on a green day.

I have a recipe in the four seasons cook book for chilli bread, which uses polenta & the whole thing is free, so it must be!!

lol Good plan,
I actually just tasted it and its rather nice, almost like a stodgy bread pudding i used to have at school. Will make it again over xmas for snacking
lol

Mine was exactly the same & I actually said at the time it tasted just like bread pud. Much the same as yours, it didn't look very appetizing, but thought it tasted great!!

Lisa x

Ah is it? I've got a 2006 book and it was saying the ground stuff (like flour) is synned. Can dig out my recipe again now heehee.

My couscous cake ended up looking like a bread pudding, but tasted delicious! Polenta is free if bought in the block form already made, well it used to be! LOL!! The Italians also use polenta as a kind of mash potato and a gorgeous Northern Italy dish is sausages, polenta and gravy!! Hmm m

It's kinda similar to ground semolina the stuff I use - I take it that isn't free on a green day? I'm not as keen on the block stuff personally.

Annoying (unless I'm wrong again) that you have to syn cooked fruits. I like couscous cake but making it into upside down cake with apple slices or pineapple etc. Will post that below but no idea of the syns, if someone cares to work it out?

COUSCOUS CAKE

113g couscous
1 egg white
1 tub mullerlight toffee yogurt
5tsp sweetener
Few drops vanilla essence
150ml boiling water

Pour the boiling water over the couscous until completely absorbed.
Meanwhile mix all other ingredients well and the mix into the couscous.
Pour into a cake tin that's been sprayed with fry light and bake at 180 degrees for 20 mins until firm to the touch.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
USING COUSCOUS CAKE RECIPE
Change yougurt from toffee to pineapple.
Drain a can of sliced pineapples ( in juice),line a 7" cake tin , spray with Fry light, arrange pineapple rings in base of tin, put pitted cherry, blueberry or raspberry on hole.
Pour over mixture,bake as for couscous cake.
Serve turned upside down good with vanilla yogurt !!

- if using apple instead it's works well with the toffee flavour yoghurt :)

I've already got a scanbran trifle attempt in the fridge and I'm now wanting to try the mincemeat couscous cake but I like scanbran christmas pudding too and I was going to make the mini lemon drizzle cakes for the mag. I don't think anything is freezable and although everything's low syn there's eating treats and then there's taking the mick lol

Back