My fishy week!

Well tomorrow is gonna be day 1 of my fishy week.... Hopefully I'll shed some pounds ? thanks for all the useful ideas everyone

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have to ask, what is a rollmop and are they bony?

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who like pickled things. I hate anything pickled as all I can taste is vinegar. I even hate it when people put vinegar in the water when poaching eggs.

Weird though as I love vinegar on chips!

Coljack, a rollmop is a pickled herring, rolled up with shredded picked onion inside, no bones,

rollmops.jpg

How do you cook them Debridger? I've seen them a few times in Lidl but not bought them as I wasn't sure about what to do with them. Also do you eat the skin? :D

Are they syn free then the roll mops I was never sure whether they were or not. I think I am really going to stock up and have a fish week soon to help me get towards my target (hopefully) only problem is hubby likes fish but don't think he would like to eat it every meal for a week and the kids definitely wouldn't so things like roll mops would help as don't want to be cooking even more different meals!

yeah, they are pickled, but in a sweet vinegar, more like the vinegar used for gherkins. They're an oily fish, but the onion and vinegar break that down.
They're eaten straight out of the tin / tub, so no cooking invloved and they're free on red / EE
The skin is perfectly edible, I normally just take it out of the tub, squeeze the excess juice, and munch away... today walked to the seafood place, ate 1 whilst he was measuring out the other stuff.
One thong I wod say, the ones pre- packed in the shops have a softer texture than the ones you buy from a seafood stall as they're generally sitting in the vinegar for longer. They're great to pick-up from the supermarket in a tub, they normally have a sell-by date of 3 or 4 months.

Have a go, you might just enjoy them

it still surprises me that they actually sell jellied eels at our tesco's and moreso that the tray is usually half empty when I see it, so somone must be buying it... urgh...

ColJack said:
it still surprises me that they actually sell jellied eels at our tesco's and moreso that the tray is usually half empty when I see it, so somone must be buying it... urgh...

haha, jellied eels were Saturdays breakfast :) but, I only bought them pre-packed from a supermarket once, I thought they were gross, thankfully I knew I liked them already, otherwise, as a 1st time, I wouldn't have had them again - might have been unlucky, so will give them another go.
Last month, a friend went to Billingsgate and got me a huge bowl of them - they lasted the 2 of us about 4 days!!

oh these aren't pre-packed, they are in a tray / bowl on the fresh fish counter...
I don't like fish with skin on, even the stuff you used to get from the chip shop

I love rollmops so am delighted to see they are free on red as I am about to do a fish week. I grew up with them always being in the house.

On a Sunday morning I always went with my dad to the local deli where he bought the most fantastic things and roll mops were always on the list. As a treat he would buy me a huge sweet and sour gherkin to munch on the way home........

I am off to buy some rollmops this morning.

Thanks for the info.

i am not a pickled fish fan - give me cod and salmon anyday!!!

Might do a few fishy days this week!!! xxx

yeuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkk Rollmops are gross!!! they are a very aquired taste, just make sure you dont buy lots before you know you like them!
I do however love cockles and you cant beat going to Mersea Island in Essex to the Oyster sheds and getting fresh fish, cockles and mussels, we did it yesterday and sat by the water eating them after a 5 mile walk :)

I'm having Crab Sticks today for lunch for the first time. They are OK. I better get to like them as I have another pack and a half of them to get through!! :D

I'm having Crab Sticks today for lunch for the first time. They are OK. I better get to like them as I have another pack and a half of them to get through!! :D

Think they're pretty tasteless, I generally mush them up with something, lf mayo with herbs or lemon or a squidge of tomato puree or something
Must admit, don't generally eat the, although I did have some Sat.

Back