My Low Gi Diary, Food, exercise, and recipes

Lisamac30

Hi Guys,
Hope you are well today?!

Well i'm on my 2nd Low Gi day, so I thought i'd start a diary...as im new to Gi, any advice/info will be greatly recieved anytime.

I did approx 45 mins exercise vid this morning wearing my sauna suit, and tried a couple of recipes out which I have to say i'm surprised how yummy they are...

Yesterday
B - Musili & skimmed milk
L - Musili & skimmed milk (didn't have much in! lol)
D - Smoked mackrel, sweet pot, peas, tinned tom/fruit & jelly pot
Drinks - water & sparkling flavoured water

Today
B - 2 weetabix/tiny bit of musili & skimmed milk
L - Homemade carrot & barley soup & small wholemeal roll
D - will be having Lemon & Parsley chicken/salad & Homemade banana & nut cookie
S - Few cashew nuts
Drinks - water & sparkling flavoured water

Carrot & Barley Soup
3 large carrots (approx 10oz/300g)2 tablespoons/30g butter½ cup/45g pearl barleysalt and peppera sprig of thyme2½ cups/600ml vegetable stock2 sticks of celery

1.Slice the carrots and fry on a low heat with the butter. Add the salt, pepper and thyme.
2.After a minute or two add the barley. I used about 2 large handfuls which was easier than weighing. Continue to gently fry the carrots and barley for about 10 minutes.
3.Add the vegetable stock, cover and simmer on a very low heat for 1 hour. I made the stock up from bouillon, but any vegetable stock cube or fresh stock can be used.
4.Five minutes before the cooking finishing cooking chop the celery and add it to the pan. When the 5 minutes are up put the whole lot in a blender or food processor and blend to a puree. Serve this low GI soup with a slice of whole grain bread.

Thanks for reading...:wavey:

Evening!!

Had another good day today I think, I did approx 30 mins exercise + walking...

Todays menu

B - Musili & skimmed milk
L - HM Carrot and Barley soup
D - Marinated Salmon with veg and salad/jelly and fruit pot
S - Grapes/HM banana & nut cookie
Drinks - Flavoured water, a couple of white wine spritzers (going out with a friend :D)

If there are any downfalls with my menus please let me know.

Cheers,

Hi Lisa

I cant really help on your menus but didnt want to read and run. I am gradually changing over my eating to a more GL food so have been lurking in this section for a while.

You seem to be doing really well and motivated with the exercise. I hope this carries on for you

Afternoon everyone!

Hi Vanda thanks for your comment, and good luck with your GL move over too!

Well I went out last night, and was surprised that I actually quite enjoyed white wine and soda water, think I might try southern comfort and soda water next time, because I usually like it with diet lemonade but try and get diet lemonade in a pub!! :rolleyes:

Gonna do my exercise tonight roughly 30-45 mins...chose to stay in bed an extra half hour this morning!! :p

B - Crunchy oats cerial with tropical fruit/skimmed milk
L - HM Tomato & basil soup/small wholegrain roll/HM banana & nut cookie
D - HM Tuscan chicken pasta bake & salad/HM banana smoothie (with skimmed milk)
Drinks - 1 cup of Tea, diet lemonade and water

Hope your all well :wavey:

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd let you know I have decided going completely Low GI doesn't suit me so I am now back to my healthy eating again with an eye on GI so still using recipes etc...but I have also upped my exercise at the gym to between 75-90mins, 4 times this week but aiming for 5 again from next week.

Diabetes levels are spot on, so pleased with that!

Low Gi Thai green chicken curry with basmati rice tonight, and i'm going to make some low Gi muffins too this afternoon.

Well done on getting your diabetes levels right and lots of luck with your GL based healthy eating.
I find watching my overall calorie intake and keeping mostly to GL foods keeps me on an even keel. I found counting GL points and traffic lights systems all a bit too much effort. I just follow the overall GL principles. It takes time to find what works best for each of us as individuals. Trial and error but we get there in the end. Keep well and lots of luck for the future.

Back