My slim and save wedding weight loss diary - From 242lbs to 185lbs for my big day!

Thanks Katy!! I am chuffed too, now I can get cracking! Does anyone know if you can add sweetener to anything if you need it? Just thinking about the porridge x

If you want to you can but I think it is supposed to be one without aspartme but I might be wrong!! The porridge is quite sweet anyway to be honest I think!! I make it up with water instead of milk as well.xxx

If you want to you can but I think it is supposed to be one without aspartme but I might be wrong!! The porridge is quite sweet anyway to be honest I think!! I make it up with water instead of milk as well.xxx

Ahh, I will look then, though if it's sweet enough I might be ok. Have you tried the soups?

Glad to hear your order arrived so you can get started!

I have found everything to be sweet enough, even the porridge made with water! :)

Ahh thats good to know then! I have just been reading up on how doing a VLCD can affect a condition I have and apprently it can vastly improve symptoms! So another reason to do it!

Ok..... So I am just trying my free sample of the vanilla crispy shake... First time I've made up a shake, I've just had a few sips, it's quite nice, but think I will make it thicker and a bit colder next time. I don't drink coffee but I may try making like a iced frappe or something with one of my other plain vanillas.

Well first taste down, so far so good. Bring on tomorrow, my first full day of S&S and a 12 hour shift.

Good luck with the plan and shift tomorrow :) You'll have to let me know how you get on! I remember when I first started I used to find a horrible taste after all of them. But now I'm either used to it or like it lol x

Just finished the shake, it was nice, but a little strange. I'm not sure I liked the crispy bits, luckily I haven't ordered any of these myself.

Tomorrow I plan to weigh in before work, have my porridge at work, and I will take one of my lemon bars, a banana shake and chicken soup with me. I finish at 8pm so no worries about coming home and snacking!

Good luck with the plan and shift tomorrow :) You'll have to let me know how you get on! I remember when I first started I used to find a horrible taste after all of them. But now I'm either used to it or like it lol x

Haha :) I had two large glasses of water before the shake and feel quite full at the min, I may have another glass in 10mins or so to wash it all down!

I am really looking forward to it, but I know it's alot of hard work and no miracle that will do it for me. I just hope for a smooth transition into ketosis.

good luck tara!! :)

I only had a sample of each of the crispy shakes and quite liked them actually. They're supposed to be made with milk (although I added water too) whereas the other shakes are made with water. I love the banana shake (along with strawberry). I usually mix it with 500ml of water though to help with the water intake. You need to try them with different quantities of water to see what works for you. The lemon bars are lush but I'm not really a lover of the soups. I like the spag bol and chilli meals but these really only work if you quite like spicy food.

What do your colleagues at the GP surgery think of you doing a VLCD?

Last edited:
Oooh I love lemon flavour so looking forward to trying them! I will def get some cinnamon in for the porridge now... I will try the shakes with different amounts of water and see what suits.

I have only told a few people I was thinking about it, one of the GPs said I shouldn't do it but he has had patients on them and all had good results. The other GP is really supportive but says I need to be careful when I stop, not to stop alltogether and ease myself back into eating 'normal' food.

My work friend Mel thinks it's a good idea, I was toying with the idea of starting in feb and she said to me, you're raring to go now so why not place your order and do it now. After talking to people on here I decided to just do it and go for it. One of the nurses is going to monitor me, just blood pressure etc.

There is a certain stigma with these diets isn't there? My mum wasn't sure at first but after I showed her some of the people on here who have achieved so much she said go for it!

oh see i tried a lemon one, took one bite and just couldnt finish it lol .. The flavours lovely but i just dont like the texture lol .. I might give it another try on another day and see how i feel then but i just couldnt finish it!

I wondered how supportive your work colleagues would be being as they are trained in health. Stormy on here is a nurse at a hospital and one of the consultants told her it was a bad thing to do (but she's still doing it).

I do think the results are good but actually it's the easy bit as the difficult bit (like with any diet) is keeping it off afterwards. I did ok for over 2 years when I did a VLCD before and found maintenance ok. My refeeding plan was thought through and I started off on low carb and then started to do more of a low GI diet. Then I got a job where I travelled a lot and stayed in hotels so I ate out and drank most evenings during the week (all sorts of bad things being consumed) and the weight started to pile on again. Back now to lose it again though as I don't travel in my job these days so have no excuse.

I think the GP is right about being careful when you stop. That's why it's important to have a good refeeding plan and prepare for a life plan that will help you maintain for life. Realistically I know I'll always struggle a bit as I can be a pig and I like my wine too. I'm just going to try to restrict those days of excess to weekends and special occasions and try to be good during the week so that I allow myself some extra calories at the weekend. Bit of a way to go yet though :)

Thats a good idea, weekend treats! I think I will go onto slimming world red plan afterwards as it's low carb, and then see how I go with maintaining.

Diary continued:

Day 1 of S&S

7am: 1 pint of water
8am: Porridge at work (Hmmm not a bad taste but think I made it a little thick! So had to hold my nose a little!) 2 Small Glasses of water.

Yeah, I add more water as otherwise it's a bit thick and lumpy I find.

I am feeling a little bit sick at the moment, did anyone else have this on their first day? I've drank quite a bit of water. I do have a sensitive tum tho!

Ok,

11am Half my lemon bar (quite nice actually) With more water!

1.45pm Chicken soup, with......... water!

Like the soup, just a bit powdery tasting, not overly hungry at the min!

I've never felt sick Tara to be honest but then I have cast iron guts :). I don't recall it being someone that people have posted about as a regular thing. Hopefully it'll pass and your body will get used to it.

Yeah, the soups are a bit powdery, but perfectly edible. I just prefer the meals.

Finished the soup and had more water, I must admit I do feel full!

I am still having cravings though, I suppose this is where your will power will come into it! Many people seem to say that once they got through the 1st week, they stuck and didn't cheat because they were so happy with the weight losses. I guess I just need to start feeling the benefit!

Back