My very own food diary...the 'will succeed' challenge!

gemmiegem

OK...so I've tried countless times before to lose weight...and have never been successful. Now I'm all guns blazing going to shift the pounds...what better excuse than a wedding now planned for 2014! :D

I've taken the decision to join Slimming World having seen how successful it has been for friends (who look amazing now!)...I want a piece of that action!

Tonight I'm going to my local group for the first time to join...big step, but not putting it off any longer!

I will be on here every day to keep a log of my own food diary having been motivated by others on here.

So joining SW tonight and the diet starts from tomorrow morning! Friday 13th...unlucky for some...but lucky for others!

Watch this space!

Thanks for the reply Emmaline...great to have support at group and online during the week to keep me going :)

Well, that's it...I've joined SW tonight...
14 stone 11...jeez...when did that happen?!!
my goal weight is 10 stone which will be perfect for my 5'6" height!

Have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about what the SW meeting would be like...but I actually really enjoyed it and I can't wait to get cracking on the Extra Easy (EE) plan tomorrow! The group was really supportive and the consultant extremely welcoming!

In fact, lunch is already prepared ready to take to work - chicken (grilled) and pasta with sweetcorn, peas and carrots (lots of it cos it's FREE!) and a level tbsp of sweet chilli sauce dressing (1.5 syns!)...and grapes!

Busy planning my breakfast and dinner now - thinking of the best way to use my Healthy A and B options during the day!! Exciting!

More determined than ever now! This is it...!

Day 1...been really focused today!

Breakfast: 25g cornflakes (4.5syns), 250ml milk (HEa), 1 tsp sugar (1 syn)

Lunch: (prepped the night before!) - pasta with grilled chicken, carrots, peas and sweetcorn (all Free! or SuperFree!) and 1 tbsp of sweet chill sauce for dressing (1.5syns), followed by grapes

Dinner: boiled rice (free!) and chicken in black bean sauce (5 syns)

Other: 50g dried apple (HEb), carrot sticks (Free!), Diet coke x 2 (Free!), Water x 2 (Free!), 1 x cup of tea with no milk (Free!)

Total Syns: 12

And I've done 40 minutes of walking (to work, back from work and at lunch time) and 15 mins on the exercise bike!

Good first day I say!

Day 2: considering I was in London all day (staying overnight)...I think I did pretty well...even said no to wine!

Breakfast: 250ml milk (HEa), 2 x weetabix (HEb), 1 tsp sugar (1 syn)

Lunch: Homemade mushroom rosti (I've synd this at 6 syns, although people tend to suggest it should be 4-5...just to be on the safe side! Mushrooms are SuperFree!)), 1 egg (Free...but I've added 1 syn for oil as eating out!)

Dinner: grilled chicken without the skin(!) (Free!), jacket potato without butter (Free!), salad - lettuce, cucumber and tomato without dressing (all SuperFree!)

Other: no snacks...didn't have time to think about them to be honest...and was stuffed after dinner! Drinks - just tea without milk and diet cokes...all Free!

Total Syns: 8

And I've done probably about an hours worth of walking at least today trekking around London!

Day 3:

Travelodge Breakfast: Kelloggs Fruit n' Fibre (35g) (HEb), Peach low fat muller healthy yogurt (2 syns), grapefruit (SuperFree!), grilled back bacon without fat (Free!), scrambled egg (Free!), tomatoes (SuperFree!)

Lunch: 2 x kiwi fruits (SuperFree!), 1 x peach (SuperFree!), Fat free natural yogurt (Free!)

Dinner: Roast dinner - chicken (Free!), Roast potatoes and parsnips (done with 1 cal spray) (Free!), carrots, broccoli, leeks, peas (all SuperFree!), made a cheese sauce with cheddar and milk for the broccoli (HEa), 1 very small yorkshire pudding (2 syns), 1 level tbsp gravy (made up to resemble gravy of course (with boiling water)!) (3.5 syns)

Other: no snacks...full from breakfast, lunch and dinner! drinks: tea without milk (free!), diet coke (free!), and 1 glass of rose wine (6 syns) - treat!

Total Syns: 13.5

really, really pleased with progress so far...I think more than anything how I can now quite happily drink tea without milk! And that I'm trying new things...like fruit n fibre cereal...never had it before, and it was really yummy (especially with fat free yogurt!)

Menus look great so hope you are reward with a super weight loss on wi day x

Thank you for the lovely comments Emmaline and Slimbysummer...this forum is great for support on the weightloss journey! x

Day 4:

Breakfast: Fruit n' Fibre cereal (35g) (HEb), Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), grapes and kiwi fruit (SuperFree!)

Lunch: this was tough as was at a work meeting with lunch provided - eek! Managed to resist all the biscuits, crisps, pastries and yummy looking cakes - instead went for four small quarter sandwiches with brown bread (bread synned at 5 syns), fillings were tuna, egg and ham (all Free themselves, but I've synned 4 syns just in case for butter/mayo etc.!), followed by two apples (SuperFree!)

Dinner: Made syn free chicken curry using a Slimming World Recipe and pakoras using a Slimming World recipe - also Syn Free! This used up loads of SuperFree foods - brocolli, sweetcorn, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes...and free foods - rice, chicken, powders (I checked!), stock. All cooked using 1 cal spray (how did I not know about this wonderful spray before I went on this diet...! It's amazing!)

Other: no snacks! Absolutely stuffed after breakfast and dinner! Drinks - lots and lots of tea (no milk), and one diet coke (also Free!)...and because I hadn't used my HEa during the day...I've just had a nice glass of semi-skimmed milk to use up my HEa option :)

Total Syns: 9

Tough day - had to resist a lot of temptation...but I did! Feel really proud of myself actually :)

...now I'm planning tomorrow's meals...may even try and make syn free slimming world fish and chips!

Day 5:

Breakfast: Fruit n' Fibre cereal (35g) (HEb), Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), grapefruit (SuperFree!)

Lunch: pre-made to take to work with me! - new potatoes (Free!), boiled eggs (Free!), tuna (Free!), sweetcorn (SuperFree!), grapes (SuperFree!), apple (SuperFree!)

Dinner: went to Wetherspoons for dinner tonight but was really good...and avoided the steak night options that I would have usually gone for!...instead had jacket potato (Free!...they are NOT deep fried!), baked beans (Free!), Cheese (HEa option), salad - lettuce and tomatoes (SuperFree!)...no butter, no dressing!

Other: no snacks again today!...was stuffed after every meal! Drinks - again, just tea no milk and diet coke (even at the pub!) all Free!

Total Syns: 0

Day 6:

Breakfast: Fruit n' Fibre cereal (35g) (HEb), Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), grapefruit (SuperFree!)

Lunch: pre-made to take to work with me! - pasta (Free!), boiled eggs (Free!), tuna (Free!), broccoli, carrots, leeks (all SuperFree!), 2 x kiwi fruits (SuperFree!), 2 x small pears (SuperFree!). Also had 2 x original ryvita (1.5 syns each) and quark cheese (Free!), and cucumber (SuperFree!)

Dinner: used a SW recipe...made Turkey and bacon stir fry...using loads of veg - beansprouts, carrots, cabbage, spring onions...with garlic, root ginger and soy sauce (all Free!)

Other: no snacks again today!...was stuffed after every meal! Drinks - again, just tea no milk and diet coke all Free! (Oh and a nice glass of semi skimmed milk for my HEa!!)

Total Syns: 3

Another good day...I know I should be eating more syns...but I've eaten loads today and don't really have a desire to eat anything else :S Guess that can't be a bad thing really!!

Day 7:

Breakfast: Fruit n' Fibre cereal (35g) (HEb), Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), grapes and peaches (SuperFree!)

Lunch: pre-made to take to work with me again! - couscous (Free!), lettuce, cucumber, sweetcorn (all SuperFree!), new potatoes (Free!), 2 x boiled eggs (Free!), 2 x pears (SuperFree!), 1 slice of wholemeal bread (3 syns), butter 1 tsp (2 syns)

Dinner: used a SW recipe again tonight...Fish and chips!! Cod fillets (Free!), potatoes (for chips) (Free!), peas (SuperFree!), 1 cal spray (Free!), bread for breadcrumbs (1.5 syns), eggs (Free!)

Other: no snacks again today!...Drinks - again, just tea no milk and diet coke all Free! (and again, another glass of semi skimmed milk for my HEa!!)

Total Syns: 6.5 syns

And had weigh in tonight (after eating dinner too!!) and lost 4.5 pounds on my first weigh in :D

This weekend will be tough as away from home...fingers crossed :S

Ok...so I've been away the past three days...so I'll keep it as brief as I can!

Day 8:

Breakfast: Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), grapes, pears and peaches (SuperFree!)

Lunch: Jacket Potato (Free!) with baked beans (Free!), Cheese (HEa), and salad - cucumber, tomato, lettuce, onions (all SuperFree!) (no dressing or butter)

Dinner: Wetherspoons for dinner - Sweet Chilli Noodles with Chicken (10 syns), Fresh Fruit (apples, grapes and bananas) (SuperFree!) and fat free natural yogurt (Free!)

Other: no snacks today...Drinks - just tea without milk and diet coke/diet pepsi
Didn't have my HEb today though...only cos I was away and difficult...stuck to it all to plan otherwise!

Total Syns: 10 syns
----------------------------------------------

Day 9:

Breakfast: 2 slices (small) of Toast (HEb) with scrambled egg (Free!) and tomatoes (SuperFree!)

Lunch: didn't have any....too busy out sightseeing...but didn't snack either so that's good :)

Dinner: Wetherspoons (again, I know...cheap and cheerful!) - Jacket Potato (Free!...no butter) with chilli con carne (7.5 syns) and cheese (HEa) and salad - lettuce, cucumber and tomato (SuperFree!), followed by fruit - grapes, banana, apples (SuperFree!) and natural fat free yogurt (Free!)

Other: again, no snacks...just drinks - diet pepsi/diet coke and tea without milk :)

Total Syns: 7.5 syns
--------------------------------------------

Day 10: still away for the weekend!!

Breakfast: Quaker Porridge Oats (35g) (HEb), apples and grapes (SuperFree!)

Lunch: Wetherspoons again! (still being good though!!)...five bean chilli with rice and tortilla chips (6 syns) - (I checked the syns again...one of the healthiest options on the menu!), followed by natural fat free yogurt (Free!) and grapes, bananas and apples (SuperFree!)

Dinner: just got home and had chinese cos it's late and no time to cook/nothing in the house! but stuck to boiled rice (Free!) and Chicken in black bean sauce (5 syns) - one of the healthier chinese options!

Other: no snacks again today - no time, and didn't want anything anyway! diet pepsi and tea no milk. Just had a glass of semi milk for my HEa option.

Total Syns: 11 syns
------------------------------------------------

Considering I have been away for the weekend I am VERY pleased with this...managed to pick the healthiest options on menus (would have always gone for burgers and chocolate desserts before...and wine!)...hopefully my commitment pays off on Thursday! It better do!

Day 11:

Breakfast: Natural low fat yogurt (Free!), apples and kiwi fruit (SuperFree!), Fruit n' Fibre Cereal (HEb)

Lunch: Couscous (Free!), lettuce, sweetcorn, onions (SuperFree!), apple (SuperFree!)

Dinner: Omelette (2 eggs) with semi-milk (HEa), peppers, onions, mushrooms (SuperFree!), followed by peaches (SuperFree!) and cherry onken yogurt (3 syns)

Other: had an afternoon snack (very small!)...a ryvita (1.5syns) and one peach sliced up with fat free natural yogurt on top (Free!)

Drinks - tea (without milk), pepsi max, diet pepsi...all Free!

Total Syns: 4.5 syns (went a bit lower on the syns today, not intentionally...just how it worked out today...!)

Last edited:
Day 12:

...and still on plan!

Breakfast: Semi-skimmed milk (HEa), 2 x weetabix (HEb), 2 level tsp of sugar (2 syns)

Lunch: Pasta (Free!), sweetcorn, peas (SuperFree!) and two tbsp sweet chilli sauce (3 syns), 2 x ryvita (3 syns), 2 x apples (SuperFree!)

Dinner: Homemade SW recipe indian curry with no syns! - prawns (Free!), passata (tomatoes), onions, peppers (all SuperFree!), fat free natural yogurt, garlic, worcestershire sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, chilli powder, mild curry powder (all Free!), boiled rice (Free!), 2 x small onion bahjis (SW recipe) (3 syns)

Drinks - tea (without milk), diet coke...all Free!

Total Syns: 11 syns

Day 13:

Breakfast: fruit n fibre cereal (HEb), cherry onken biopot yogurt (4 syns), peaches (SuperFree!)

Lunch: Pasta (Free!), sweetcorn, peas, carrots, brocolli (all SuperFree!) and 1 apple + 1 banana (both SuperFree!)

Dinner: Had no choice but to eat out tonight as travelling around (long story!)...and by 8pm I couldn't wait any longer. Only option was an Ember Inn (it's a chain) but impossible to find out syn value. To be honest, I thought their menu was REALLY bad for dieters...virtually everything came with chips and they don't do jacket potatoes! I went for the healthiest thing I could find on the menu...a grilled chicken and bacon salad with a honey mustard dressing - it had loads of lettuce, onions and tomatoes (SuperFree!), grilled chicken which was ok (Free!)...but can't find out syn values of bacon/dressing (although there was hardly any of either anyway!)...I'll add 10 syns just in case! Skipped dessert!

Drinks - tea (without milk), diet cokes...all Free! glass of semi skimmed milk (HEa)

Total Syns: 14 syns

...only one day now till second weigh in...feel that under the circumstances I've tried really hard again this week to eat on plan (even when eating out). Even if I don't lose anything I'm still chuffed to bits that my OH tonight said 'I'm proud of you - you're trying really hard' :) (though of course a loss (even a small one!) would be welcomed!)

Day 14:

Breakfast: 2 x weetabix (HEb), semi skimmed milk (HEa), 2 x level tsp sugar (2 syns)

Lunch: Pasta (Free!), peas, carrots, brocolli (all SuperFree!) and 1 pear + 1 banana + 2 kiwi fruits (all SuperFree!)

Dinner: Ate just before going for weigh in :S - spaghetti bolognaise SW recipe - lean mince (Free!), onions and mushrooms (both SuperFree!), tinned tomatoes (SuperFree!), beef stock (Free!), spaghetti (Free!)

Drinks - tea (without milk), diet cokes...all Free!

At my second weigh in tonight I lost another 2 lbs (which means a 6.5 lbs loss in just two weeks - if only it had been an extra half a pound!)....as a treat I bought some hi-fi bars...just had a luscious lemon hifi bar...and it was luscious! (5.5 syns!)

Total Syns: 7.5 syns

Day 15:

Breakfast: fruit n fibre cereal (HEb), onken cherry biopot yogurt (5 syns), 1 banana (SuperFree!)

Lunch: Leftover homemade spaghetti bolognaise - pasta, mince (lean) (both Free!), oninos, mushrooms (both SuperFree!), tinned tomatoes (SuperFree!), beef stock (Free!), followed by 1 banana and 2 kiwi fruits (all SuperFree!)

Dinner: Went for a girly evening round a friend's house tonight but was good - 1 medium glass rose wine (8 syns), bread thins (2 syns), ham, chicken (both Free!), and loads of carrots and cucumbers (SuperFree!)

Other drinks - tea (without milk), diet cokes and diet lemonade...all Free!

Total Syns: 15 syns

-----------------------------------------------------

Day 16:

Breakfast: 2 x scan bran (soaked in boiling water to soften them up and less like carpet tiles!) (2 syns), fat free natural yogurt (Free!), 1 banana (SuperFree!) - followed by small sausage sandwich - 1 sausage (5 syns), 2 small slices wholemeal bread (HEb) - no butter or sauce

Lunch: Homemade veggie soup - potatoes (Free!), stock (Free!), carrots, peas, broccoli, leeks (all SuperFree!) followed by 1 banana (SuperFree!)

Dinner: Chinese takeaway treat night! Boiled rice (Free!), chicken chow mean (6 syns), 3 tiny little pieces of chicken in chilli sauce (3 syns)

Other drinks - tea (without milk), glass of semi-skimmed milk (HEa), pepsi max...all Free!

Total Syns: 15 syns

Day 17:

Breakfast: 5 x scan bran (yes, they are evil food!) (HEb), fat free natural yogurt (Free!), 1 banana and 1 apple (both SuperFree!)

Lunch: Couscous and chicken (both Free!) with tomatoes and peppers(both SuperFree!) and 2 tbsp chilli sauce (3 syns), followed by 1 banana (SuperFree!)

Dinner: Homecooked roast dinner - pork w/o fat (Free!), potatoes (Free!), carrots, brocolli, spinach (all SuperFree!), gravy (5 syns)

Other drinks - tea (with milk!!) (HEa), diet coke...all Free!

Snack - made chocolate scan bran cake using recipe from minimins... can't say as it was 'that' fantastic... it still tasted like scan bran to me! 2 eggs, 4 x scan bran, 1/4tsp baking powder, 4 tsp low fat cocoa powder - I had about 1/4 of the cake - about 1 syn.

Total Syns: 9 syns

Back