Need to quit!

DiamondDoll

I've been an on and off smoker for 11 years.. I'm 27 now and over last 2 weeks have had a cough and tonight coughed up blood. Now I'm wheezy so damn sure it's a chest infection (going round a bit at mo!) but scared the crap outta me! I'm on Cambridge diet and finding myself smoking more. It needs to end I should know better! Don't even like smoking... Habit I guess !!

It sounds as though you are getting your head in the right place which was the main thing for me.
You really should get your cough checked though, it is probably nothing but you need to remove any worries before you give up, stress only makes things harder.:sigh:
Well done on starting Cambridge, take it one day at a time and you will get there.

Katie1961 said:
It sounds as though you are getting your head in the right place which was the main thing for me.
You really should get your cough checked though, it is probably nothing but you need to remove any worries before you give up, stress only makes things harder.:sigh:
Well done on starting Cambridge, take it one day at a time and you will get there.

Thank you :) yes if it doesn't go in a few days will be sure to get checked! Going to p,an my quit day ahead n patch up! How long have you been quit? X

Def get the chest looked at, could be bronchitis which might need antibiotics. I understand how hard it can be to quit, I was a smoker for 17yrs when I finally quit 7yrs ago...will be 8yrs in January. G/L to you :)

I agree with Katie about getting your head in the right place. I finally quit at 10:12 pm February 15, 2006, after 28 years of smoking except for temporary quits during 2 pregnancies. For me the moment of getting my head in the right place was like a sledgehammer. I wasn't planning to quit, as I had pretty much given up trying to quit for good after too many failed tries. The longer I smoked, the more difficult it was to quit. But shortly after finishing a cigarette that night, I doubled over with a 10-minute long coughing fit, including coughing up some blood, while my daughter (age 12 at the time) watched in horror. I had enough medical background to know what it could mean. It scared the crap out of both of us, and I felt like a total heel for putting my child through that.

As if blood and horror weren't enough motivation to quit, a few minutes later I started to reach for another cigarette. That's how strong this addiction is. Fortunately, I had a "wtf" moment, and stopped mid-reach. Instead, in desperation I searched online for some sort of magic motivation to help me get through the need for that next cigarette, entering phrases like "why quit smoking". It was during that search that I found the story of a man named Bryan Lee Curtis. Look him up. He's helped a lot of people get their heads in the right place to quit smoking. I printed his picture and taped it to the wall in my office within staring distance (I work from my home office). Whenever I wanted a cigarette, hundreds of times a day at first, I looked at his picture, and imagined myself in his place. And imagined my kids there instead of his. I also made heavy use of the information on the site I found his picture on.

For me, the only way to quit once and for all was cold turkey, without quit meds or nicotine patches, although Lord knows I'd been through cases of those in the past. But this time I went through about 60 lbs of Jelly Belly jellybeans over the next couple of months, along with an additional 20 or 30 lbs of hard candies!!

Yes, I gained about 20 lbs. But once I wasn't smoking, it was so much easier to be much more active. I could breathe enough to exercise and walk, then run, and the pounds came off in another few months.

Physical withdrawal was very real, just as awful as the mental withdrawal/habit changes. In many ways quitting smoking was more difficult for me than even childbirth. At least childbirth was soon over with! It was shocking to realize how strong the addiction had been, and how much my body was fighting to keep me addicted. But over the weeks and months, eventually the cravings subsided and the physical withdrawal symptoms resolved.

Take it one minute at a time. Then one hour at a time. Then one day at a time. Every minute, every hour, every day you get through without another cigarette, is one minute, hour, day closer to health and your full physical potential.

NTAP - Never Take Another Puff.

Thank you :) yes if it doesn't go in a few days will be sure to get checked! Going to p,an my quit day ahead n patch up! How long have you been quit? X

Hi, I hope you are doing OK and your cough is better now.
It is over 8 months since I had a real cigarette :bunnydance: ( I am still using my e-cig, although a lot less now). I can breathe without wheezing and walk up hills without having to stop every few steps, so I am happy so far. I smoked for 37 years and I can really see a massive difference in my health so I am confident that I will stay off them this time.

I know it is an old cliche but never give up giving up, I have tried so many times before and just wish I had found the willpower sooner.

Take care.

Hi DiamondDoll

I am also on Cambridge.

I quit smoking 3 and a half months ago using a ecig- BUT unlike the others this one is like a mini huba-bubba pipe.
You can pick any flavour you want and its enjoyable. Like today i have whiskycream flavour! mmmmm

It's helping me alot! Something to do with my hands!

I like the sound of the e-cig, Iv'e started slim and save and also find im wanting to smoke more, guess it's to fill in the times Id have otherwise reached for the packet of busicuits. :p I'm also certain mine is habit of the hands as I also hate smoking grr! Going to give the e-cigs a go and hopefully get healthy all together as replacing one bad habit for another is rather pointless!!

hello for all people of forum minimins
really the smoke is big probleme .
the good way is the personne stop , dont think for cough , cauz just take some medicin and you will be better , .
me never smoke but i look my brother they smoke befor e, and now he is very good is his look , and also in his healthy .
hope all the people fo the world will stop this phenomen .
good luck friends

Back