Nefertari's journey to lose 130lbs

Went shopping with a friend from work today. I was shopping for birthday presents for my OH but also window-shopping for things I want to buy when I'm slim. It was so nice to be able to imagine myself wearing the clothes that I love and not just the clothes that fit.

My friend went to Greggs to get some lunch and I was good and just bought a Coke Zero although I could have murdered a tuna salad granary baguette!!! Really have a craving for that lately. But I'm having tuna and curly lettuce for dinner tonight so I'll get my tuna salad at least. Just no baguette. The thing that annoys me about this diet is that you can't have things which would normally be classed as 'healthy' on a normal diet. I mean, if I made my own version (because I wouldn't normally eat from Greggs) of that baguette using half the size of granary baguette, tuna and salad with no dressing, that would be healthy - no white bread and it's full of protein and salad. It's crazy that we have to avoid things that would normally be 'healthy' but even so, I'm still not tempted to eat that stuff yet. All in good time. At least I'm seeing how I can make better choices when I'm maintaining. I'll definitely be going for 'good' carbs and not the 'bad' ones like white bread etc. I prefer the wholemeal stuff anyway!

Anyway, on with my day I go. I have so much uni stuff to do - it's ridiculous! But today I'm just going to chill out and watch some TV as I'm still pretty knackered from work this weekend.

At least I'm seeing how I can make better choices when I'm maintaining. I'll definitely be going for 'good' carbs and not the 'bad' ones like white bread etc. I prefer the wholemeal stuff anyway!

Hiya- hope you are well and the job is going good!

I have been thinking about how to manage carbs in the long term. I have always loved white bread, pasta, etc and haven't ever really enjoyed wholewheat pasta, etc. I think I may just avoid carbs in the main. I've gone so long not having them that I don't really even think about them now so am hoping it should be okay but I am worried about how my body is going to react when I start eating some level of 'normal' food!

Nefertari's Slim and Save diary

The thing that annoys me about this diet is that you can't have things which would normally be classed as 'healthy' on a normal diet. I mean, if I made my own version (because I wouldn't normally eat from Greggs) of that baguette using half the size of granary baguette, tuna and salad with no dressing, that would be healthy - no white bread and it's full of protein and salad. It's crazy that we have to avoid things that would normally be 'healthy' but even so, I'm still not tempted to eat that stuff yet. All in good time. At least I'm seeing how I can make better choices when I'm maintaining.
I can totally relate!
I used to eat quite healthily before the program (well apart from too much wine and too many binges but that's a different story) so not only I struggle to justify this diet to myself but also my friends and family who are completely confused with my choice. I hear a lot of 'oh but I thought you were eating healthy anyway, shouldn't that be enough to lose weight?'
Clearly it isn't otherwise I wouldn't be here 3 stones heavier!
I'm yet to figure out why is it that I kill myself at the gym and eat well 80% of the time and I still put on weight.
Maybe I'm just kidding myself and fail to see what's really been going on (quite a lot of comfort eating esp since last summer)

Yeah, I used to think I didn't eat a lot but just ate the wrong stuff. I started tracking my calories and it turned out that I was eating a lot AND eating the wrong stuff! It's very easy to not see what you are doing. Or to not admit it!

Day 67 today - getting ever closer to the 100 days mark! I'm getting so excited about going shopping for holiday clothes - I really hope that I'm at least a size 20 by then, if not an 18. There are 9 weeks left and at my current rate of loss (3.7lbs a week average), I could be down by 33lbs by then which would make me 15'10!!! My goal for holiday was 16'7 so to get to 15'10 would be unreal! I'd definitely be in an 18 by then, if not heading into a 16! I can't quite believe that I could possibly be that low by then - it doesn't seem possible in just 9 weeks! But then I have just lost 44.5lbs in 9 weeks so anything is possible!

We'll see. I have a planned night off in a couple of weeks but I still lost 3.5lbs in the week that I had a night off. I think if I choose wisely, I could minimise any damage to ensure that I have a good loss still. Mind you, even if my loss is low (I've planned for just 2lbs that week on my spreadsheet <-- GEEK), I will most likely have a big one the week after to make up for it as it will only be water weight that slows me that week.

I was reflecting last night about how I gained all the weight in the first place. My OH gained all his at the same time. It was 2006/07 - I was at uni (the first time) and I was depressed. I hated my course, I hated where we were living (skanky student digs), I'd fallen out with my mum and hadn't seen her or my siblings for months, my OH had fallen out with his family and was living with me in my tiny room, I hated my job, he hated his job. We went through a really tough time and all we did to try and cheer ourselves up was eat. We lived on takeaways. I'm talking 6 out of 7 nights a week. And chocolate - so much chocolate every day! I ballooned from about 16st to nearly 22st in a year.

When I look back on that now, I am a totally different person, and so is he. We are happy, we love our home, I love uni. We may not like our jobs much but it's easier to keep it in perspective when everything else is going well. We go on great holidays and we have good relationships with our families. Our lives are great and have been for a while now. The thing that was holding us back in terms of weight-loss was our last home - it was in a rough area and we had ridiculously loud and ignorant neighbours. We moved in November and since then, the need to cheer ourselves up by eating crap has completely subsided.

I'm sure that's why I'm being so successful at this diet now - there is NOTHING holding me back at all. I don't feel I need that stuff and so now I don't feel like I'm missing out. Having a night off once in a while is showing me that a treat is nice OCCASIONALLY. I don't feel like I need to eat everything that I love in one night any longer. And I certainly don't feel like I want to eat that stuff all the time. This is the first time that I have dieted and truly felt like I could make it all the way to my goal.

Sorry for the long post - I just felt like I wanted to get all that out! :eek:

I've just changed my goal weight from 12st to 11st as that would put me at a 'normal' BMI (just!) - I decided that I really would like to be at that magic 'normal' number! I'll see how it goes though - I might decide to stop before then but that's my goal for now. Puts me back up to 99lbs to lose but I don't mind that as it will soon come down! :D

So, I've just spent the last 8hrs writing my PhD application. Headache!!! Have selected January as my start date to give my brain a couple of months off. I should be working full time by then (fingers crossed!) so not having to worry about deadlines for a while will be nice!

Another thought: I should be at goal by then! Hallelujah! :D

Poor you! Just as I was about to mention the fact the lovely S&S Praline bars are back in stock and mine have arrived! The Milky Ways are all on me LOL! You can have a bar for breakfast tomorrow!

I'm not keen on those praline bars - I'm working my way through a load of the smaller size dark and milk trufas at the moment! Will be ordering my bars from S&S in the future!

Am currently drinking the old style chocolate shake though - so much nicer than the new ones!

Re: Nefertari's Slim and Save diary

I hate praline bars! S&amp;S bars are definitely better. I've worked though diet shack ones and so am gonna do a S&amp;S order again at last! Have you tried the new bars?

I have - so much nicer!!! The old lemon ones are violent yellow inside and far too lemony - and I love lemon! The new ones are lush! Think I'll order my old style choc shakes from Diet Shack/SML and then the bars from S&S in future!

Have you had the honey ones too? Can't remember the other new flavour

Blurgh the coconut is horrible! Scared to order many of the new bars lol

Back