New here. Really disheartened at weight gain even with exercising and eating right!

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I had my daughter 7months ago and managed to lose a stone. When she was 4months old I found out I was expecting again so the diet went out the window. We lost the baby and went on a binge eating spree. New year, new start. In the last 2 weeks iv lost around half a stone.
Roughly I eat.
either weetabix + milk or toast.
Fruit at around 11.
Salad or soup for lunch.
Fruit at around 2.
A sensibile sized portion for tea.
My bmi is 36.31
I go on the wii for an hour and 30mins a day and burn between 400-500 calories. I also play on just dance for 30mins to an hour each day. Along with the usual cleaning and running round after children.
Yesterday I ate what I usually eat and burned 500calories and went on wii dance.
Yesterday my bmi was 36.19 and today it is 36.31. I gained a lb.
Is this supposed to happen? Just a little disheartened after all the excercise yesterday! before yesterday I had been losing a lb every 2-3days x

Exercise can cause your muscles to retain fluid. Also, the kinds of food can also cause retention- especially if you're not drinking enough? It might sound like a catch-22 but you need to drink enough fluids to ensure your body doesn't retain it. Your loss up to now is typical of the start of a diet as you'll have been losing excess fluids that your body had been storing, but you can't expect that to continue? A 'safe' loss is 1-2lbs per week, that means it's more likely to stay off in the long run, and won't cause any harm to your body as you're losing the weight.

Thanks for replying. I am drinking water but I should probably up it a bit. Iv cut out all juice/fizzy drinks and warm drinks. I'll try having more water x

Woah, you should average at losing 1-2lbs per WEEK. Don't get disheartened at going "slowly".

1lb of human fat is approximately 3,500 calories. So don't panic if you don't lose a pound a day, because that'd be a ridiculous number of calories to be burning through :)

I agree with Irishmum and crazybrit, 1 to 2lbs a week is what you should aim for. You do always seem to lose more the first week though.

You should only get weighed once a week too as that you get daily fluctuations in body weight and that it the best indicator of what you have actually lost. I'm worlds worst for getting weighed everyday but I am trying not to and I only 'officially' record once a week.

Tracey

LOL @ Tarotwoman! I'm a serial weigher too! I weigh at least twice a day! And religiously- I'm 4-5lbs heavier at night than I am 1st thing in the morning. I've discovered soo many things affect my weight, the types of food (loads of veg= gain, soups= loss, 'heavy' foods like pasta= gain, light foods but lots of it (like salads)= gains too) so digestion has a LOT to do with it, totm, if I've had alcohol (the next day a big loss, the day after a 3-4lb gain!)-it's mad, and been a huge learning curve, but like Tarotwoman, I only acknowledge the weekly weigh-in, which I choose to do on Friday to avoid the results of any crazy weekend food experiences, and to (hopefully) keep me motivated through the weekend!

It's mad isn't it?? Especially the veg thing, but as it's so filling I guess it makes sense it takes a while to digest? I do find soup filling though, maybe I should investigate and creata some low-fat/cal soups and work a diet around them? Hmm.....

I make soups that I always have on tap in winter. I don't count the calories in them coz I make them with no oil at all, just veg. I eat them to fill myself up at anytime and they do you good too. My favourites are;

Carrot and coriander.
kilo of carrots
1 onion
3 teaspoons dried coriander leaves
3 veg stock cubes
Put everything in pan, boil then simmer till cooked and blitz. Serve with chopped fresh coriander.

Cauli and brocoli
1 Cauli
1 piece Brocoli
1 onion
3 veg stock cubes
Same again cook and blitz.

Veg
half kilo carrots
about 6 sticks celery
2 onions
3 veg stock cubes
Cut everything tiny, cook but don't blitz.

Worth a try, and if you do the blitzed ones you can chop veg in big bits and can be made very quick.

Tracey

I already do the Carrot, Cauliflower & Broccoli ones with mixed herbs & a little semi=skimmed milk, but with one stock cube not three to cut down on the sodium content?

I also do a version of the veg one but bung in whatevers going off in my veg drawer! Usually includes celery, parsnips/turnips, and maybe some lentils/pearl barley to 'bulk' it up and add protein?

I've become addicted to my 'cheats chowder', it's quick & easy. I take a can of low-fat tomato soup, add a little sweetcorn, black pepper, plenty of chilli flakes and some fish (a small tin of tuna, a handful of prawns, or 1/2 tin of salmon) and heat up. Warm, quick, easy & filling! Yum.

The 'cheats chowder' sounds lovely, I'm gona try that. I know I should have less stock cubes coz of the salt but I can't cope with diet and salt reduction together. I suppose that's something I'll have to address in the future. Same with coffee - I drink far too much (no milk or sugar) and I don't like the decaf sort.

Tracey

LOL! The salt reduction effort on my part came about because I bloat like a stuffed pig- fluid retention is a big problem with me so I try to limit the foods that cause it?
I guess I'm lucky I don't like coffee, but I drink gallons of tea (black, at least 4 pints a day!)- it's the Irish lass in me I guess!:p

Back