New, looking for advice please!

*Abi*

Hi, I've been gradually dieting over the past 2 months - I knew it would take a while to get my body used to it, as I used to eat so much crap, probably around 3000 calories a day due to sheer boredom / bad choices / working in the city centre surrounded by temptation!

I'm now eating around 1200 cals a day, and excercising 2-3 times a week, which I intend to up as soon as I get more free time.

I haven't actually noticed a change in my weight / appearance yet. I need to buy some scales ( on the to do list this weekend ), but I feel that I'm eating exactly the right foods and it's not making a difference

Breakfast - either a single egg and wholegrain toast, or all bran with a glass of orange juice

Mid morning snack - Alpen light bar, or Walkers wholegrain sunbites, or a peice of fruit

Lunch - A large salad, mainly lettuce / peppers with some rice and chicken.

Afternoon snack - Wholewheat cracker with peanut butter

Dinner - Mackerel and cous cous or baked potato with salad, another salad or a beansprout salad with pork

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong, or anything i can do to maximise the weight loss ?

Thanks a lot x

hiya, and welcome!

if i were you i'd invest in a tape measure and get measuring hun! (or if you want to go by weight then weigh yourself, but do it sooner rather than later)

we experience ourselves subjectively - sometimes it doesnt feel like things are working when in actual fact they are.

are you religiously counting your cals and weighing portion sizes? it can be pretty easy for them to creep back up again! your diet sounds pretty balanced, so you should be seeing results if you're sticking to it 100%.

Try keeping a food diary for a week- it really makes you think about exactly what you're eating and when, and makes you eat a little more conciously, too. let us know how you get on, and good luck!

rhuba xx

Hey Abi

Welcome to calorie counting and good luck on your weight loss journey.

I would say go out and buy some scales immediately! Unfortunately u wont have a starting weight but I bet if you did u would b plesantly surprised how much u have lost. It takes ages for your mind to catch up with your body - I can onlyreally been able to notice a difference recently and I have lost loads!

This next bit may not apply (sorry if it doesnt) if you are only a bit overweight but if you have quite a lot to lose like I did then it will probably b some time till you notice a difference in your clothes as we end up wearing things that are too small and they stretch with us!

It can be really tough to notice changes in yourself, Abi. Going by your diet - it sounds fabulous to me - and combined with the exercise you're doing, I can't imagine that you haven't lost weight. I bet you're feeling better at any rate!

Personally I don't know if buying scales is a good idea. You can get a bit tied to the numbers game while you're losing weight, when at the end of the day the reason you're doing it isn't to do with numbers, it's about feeling and looking better and being healthier. Maybe just invest in a tape measure? Measuring the inches lost can be a wonderful incentive and I think the scales can often be deceptive depending on the time of the day/month and a million other factors.

I'd definitely keep doing what you're doing and not undermine yourself with doubt. Your diet sounds wonderful, although maybe a tiny bit low in cals if you're exercising. Feel free to add in loads more fruit and veggies to keep you full and well fueled - you can eat them with virtual abandon.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Going to get a tape measure definitely, that'll probably keep me motivated ( hopefully ) seeing the inches drop off. I think it'll be important for me to have a start weight though and go from here too.

Your diet sounds fine, but as Rhuba said, watch the sizes. Its easy to guesstimate, and you would be surprised how little difference there is between 100g of something and 200g!!
Do your clothes feel any different? And as someone said so well, it does depend on how much you have to lose too.
xx

My clothes feel very slightly different! I've just got some scales so even if I can't see the difference, hopefully I can check I am actually losing - if not maybe I'll try a different diet!

should you be looking @ how much fat is in what you're eating.? i went on a website and for my height and weight it said 1300 calories and no more than 55g of fat.
somethings are low calorie but have high fat content...
my question is should we be looking at this too?

Yeah, I've been monitoring fat content too, daily it usually comes to 40 / 45 grams. Now I've set my weekly weigh in I hope I'll be able to see that I am actually losing weight ( fingers crossed )

Back