New, on Orlistat, and scared

jameswmh

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so I'll just say a little about myself. I'm 24 years old and weigh 150 kg (24 stone) and for the last 5 years I've also suffered with health anxiety (having panic attacks thinking I'm seriously ill etc).

My nurse started me on orlistat a few days ago, and ever since the first tablet I've been have very frequent urges to urinate, now having read the info on the Xenical website it says this could mean there has been kidney damage, I'm now very scared that's what has happened. It lists frequent urination as a "rare side effect" too.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this symptom? And did you find a cause? Was it kidney related?

I've been quite paranoid about my kidneys since I had kidney stones about 6 months ago.

Thanks in advance,

Hi there and welcome! Personally I've not had any negative effects at all. I'm really enjoying the journey so far. Are you drinking more as part of the diet? I'd be rrally surprised if there was kidney damage after only taking it gor such a short time but I wouldn't know otherwise! If you're really concerned then speak to your dr for reassurance. I hope you can get the reassurance needed and can relax, sit back, enjoy the ride and watch the weight dissappear ( as long as you eat as per the rules obviously!) The guys on here are sooo supportive and will save you when needed! Take care and good luck!!

I imagine it's far too soon to have kidney damage from the first tablet to be honest. Have you been sticking to the xenical rules (all info in the stickies) and have you had any other side effects such as oil in stools or running to the toilet? It is possible that you have a urinary infection but this would just be coincidence. Or you could just be drinking more. If you're that worried maybe go back to see your nurse?

Hi,

Thank you both. It's still happening, very frequent trips to pass water. Still quite concerned. It's not dark yellow or anything which is encouraging.

I'm seeing my nurse on Monday so I'll ask her then.

Do people lose much on the first coupe of weeks? Or does it take a while to kick in?

Thanks,

Your 1st week is usually a bigger loss - due to the big changes you make and the processed foods/ takeaways being cut out - plus some of it is water weight :)

If your just changing types of diets - then the 1st week loss can be smaller.

Hi James, Not an expert of this, but would imagine your surgery would have done kidney function tests, blood pressure etc before starting you on this. I would write down your concerns and see your GP. Worse thing to do is trawl the internet as you will find all sorts of conflicting information. Look hard enough and there will be someone out there whose toenails dropped off while taking it :eek:

Back